Author Topic: Versions of Cassandra's Tears  (Read 2294 times)

Offline Silverblaze

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
Versions of Cassandra's Tears
« on: April 15, 2012, 02:40:37 AM »
My GM decided to help move plots along my Knight started the game with -0 Paladin Sense.  It pretty much serves as a Cassandra's Tears reflavored to pretty much only apply to things in defiance of or in accordance with The Almighty's wishes/plans/or violations of free-will.

The power has recently taken a back seat to traditional compels and such, now that our group is used to the system.

It however got me thinking to a way to model the powers of that guy from the TV show "Strange Luck".

(links area safe only used to explain concepts or tv shows IMDB and Wikipedia)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Strange_Luck
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0112182/

Wanted to play an agent of Serendipity.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Serendipity

HC: Agent of Serendipity
Have an aspect called "Strange Luck" - maybe the trouble?

Likely have marked by power.
Psychometry
Likely have Entropomancy and an inverted version allowing things to go my way via spells (something like Domino or Longshot from Marvel comics)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Longshot
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Domino_(comics)

Maybe an item of power...

Have a power called Serendipity's Tears (name is work in progress)

Here is where I need to try to figure out a way to have a version of Cassandra's tears that costs -1 or so. 

I don't mind having a penalty that makes me stop or pause while the visions come.  I was hoping to be able to use it for smaller things to help people (like telling someone the winning lottery numbers).   Or maybe knowing when a bus was going to go out of control so I could step back and let it hit somebody.

Thread is to discuss the power, the character concpet and how to make the afore mentioned power.

Afterward I'd love to hear new versions of Cassandra's Tears.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2012, 02:42:40 AM by Silverblaze »

Offline Vargo Teras

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
Re: Versions of Cassandra's Tears
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2012, 07:41:57 PM »
I'd actually modify Guide My Hand for such a stunt; it seems more similar, since that's A) a useful effect, where Cassandra's Tears is supposed to be as much trouble as it is help, and B) affects your actions, where Cassandra's Tears only gives you information.

Offline Sanctaphrax

• White Council
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2012, 07:43:01 PM »
I think that making Cassandra's Tears into a -1 Power just requires you to make its use voluntary. Might as well ditch the penalty too, not sure what it adds.

Basically, the power could add a Prophecy trapping to Lore.

There are some future-seeing powers on the master list, but they're pretty bad. I'll revise them one of these days.

Have you considered buying Guide My Hand?

PS: These might be appropriate too.

Offline Harboe

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2012, 01:00:18 PM »
If I was to "upgrade" Cassandra's Tears, it'd be something like this:
[-1] - You are no longer at -2 to convince people of your prophecies.

Then add on "A Few Seconds Ahead" (Our World, Abby from the Ordo Lebes) and (possibly) Guide My Hand.

Negotiable add-ons: Psycometry, The Sight and Soulgaze to finish the "I know EVERYTHING" character.

Offline Silverblaze

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2012, 08:15:17 PM »
Definitely good ideas.  Don't really care for the rolling more dice custom powers though.

Offline Sanctaphrax

• White Council
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2012, 08:17:25 PM »
Is there a problem with the powers, or is this just personal taste?

PS: You can also roll less dice if you take Ordered Fate.

Offline Silverblaze

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2012, 08:22:26 PM »
Is there a problem with the powers, or is this just personal taste?

PS: You can also roll less dice if you take Ordered Fate.

personal taste almost 100% 

But also:

I figure if by law of averages; fudge dice should roll neutral rolling an even number of dice be it 2,4,6,8 or 10  -  doesn't change that. 

I know it can increase or decrease possible minimum/maximum, but by and large it "isn't supposed to". (according to averages)

I suppsoe it bears mention that our group is only 4-5 people sometimes down to three.  None of the potential Gm's will allow me to take those dice fluctuation powers.  I assume their reasoning is similar to mine.  So I can't use them anyhow unless I run the game and use it as an NPC.
« Last Edit: April 16, 2012, 08:24:02 PM by Silverblaze »

Offline Sanctaphrax

• White Council
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2012, 08:27:00 PM »
You're right. Fudge dice are neutral no matter how many you roll. But the variability of the results changes as you change the number of dice.

Which can matter. If you're only rolling 2 dice each, the guy with Superb skill will always beat the guy with Mediocre skill. But if you're rolling 4 dice each, then miracles can happen.

Any particular reason that these powers would be disallowed?

Offline Silverblaze

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 16, 2012, 08:54:29 PM »
You're right. Fudge dice are neutral no matter how many you roll. But the variability of the results changes as you change the number of dice.

Which can matter. If you're only rolling 2 dice each, the guy with Superb skill will always beat the guy with Mediocre skill. But if you're rolling 4 dice each, then miracles can happen.

Any particular reason that these powers would be disallowed?

Nothing I can see involving game balance. 

Other reasons include, some players/gm's prefer the same amount of variability for all.

Fudge dice are generally sold in packs of four.  One would have to have two packs at the average buying rate.  (I'm sure they can come individually or in packs of two I just haven't seen them)

Offline Silverblaze

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 16, 2012, 08:56:34 PM »
So:

If I was to "upgrade" Cassandra's Tears, it'd be something like this:
[-1] - You are no longer at -2 to convince people of your prophecies.

Then add on "A Few Seconds Ahead" (Our World, Abby from the Ordo Lebes) and (possibly) Guide My Hand.

Negotiable add-ons: Psycometry, The Sight and Soulgaze to finish the "I know EVERYTHING" character.

I think that making Cassandra's Tears into a -1 Power just requires you to make its use voluntary. Might as well ditch the penalty too, not sure what it adds.

Basically, the power could add a Prophecy trapping to Lore.

There are some future-seeing powers on the master list, but they're pretty bad. I'll revise them one of these days.

Have you considered buying Guide My Hand?

PS: These might be appropriate too.

Is what we've got so far.

I'll edit this (or post later) to contain a more specific outline of the character in question later.

Offline Haru

• Posty McPostington
  • Mentally unstable like a fox.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 17, 2012, 12:02:53 AM »
You could go with channelling(visions) or something better worded, to attack, block and maneuver your way around. Instead of attacking or blocking someone directly, you use your knowledge of the very near future to trap your opponents into things you see coming or manipulate to come. Could probably also work for a modified breath weapon, depending on your taste.
“Do you not know that a man is not dead while his name is still spoken?”
― Terry Pratchett, Going Postal

Offline devonapple

• Posty McPostington
  • Parkour to YOU!
    • View Profile
    • LiveJournal Account
« Reply #11 on: April 17, 2012, 12:04:17 AM »
Reminds me of the old "Mage: the Ascension" WW game, in which spellcasters were obligated to rationalize magical effects using statistically plausible effects, to avoid accruing Paradox.
"Like a voice, like a crack, like a whispering shriek
That echoes on like it’s carpet-bombing feverish white jungles of thought
That I’m positive are not even mine"

Blackout, The Darkest of the Hillside Thickets

Offline Haru

• Posty McPostington
  • Mentally unstable like a fox.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 17, 2012, 12:24:08 AM »
Heard of it, but never really read anything about it, I'm afraid. I was more thinking along the lines of Silverblaze "sidestepping a bus to hit someone" suggestion.

If you want to go the paradox route, you could take up sponsored magic (river of time) and be your own paradox. Instead of knowing that the bus will get out of control, you plan on sitting behind the wheel and run the guy over. Kind of like Bill & Ted's Excellent Adventure. You'd cast it like a spell, but you'd be compelled by your sponsor to do those things later to avoid paradoxes. You'd basically have to visit every scene where you cast a spell twice. Can be fun, can be excruciating.
“Do you not know that a man is not dead while his name is still spoken?”
― Terry Pratchett, Going Postal

Offline eri

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 17, 2012, 01:23:29 AM »
You'd basically have to visit every scene where you cast a spell twice. Can be fun, can be excruciating.

Also clear violation of the 6th law of magic: "Never swim against the currents of time"
The more you put in your brain the more it will hold – if you have one.

Offline Silverblaze

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 17, 2012, 02:22:38 AM »
Also clear violation of the 6th law of magic: "Never swim against the currents of time"

Actually thats my number one law of everything.

I'm not a fan of time travel.