Author Topic: Code changes?  (Read 7893 times)

Offline Phil Boswell

• Conversationalist
  • I for one welcome my new Feline Overlords…
    • View Profile
    • User:Phil Boswell @ Wikipedia
Code changes?
« on: May 12, 2007, 10:31:59 PM »
I'm having some trouble with quoting when I enter replies: just clicking the "quote" link is giving me what I assume are Javascript errors.

I'm getting much the same when I try to preview.

This is happening in FF and IE.

Have there been any changes to the code lately?
Phil

Offline iago

• The Merlin
  • Posty McPostington
  • I'm the site administrator.
    • View Profile
    • Deadly Fredly
Re: Code changes?
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2007, 10:49:47 PM »
I'm having some trouble with quoting when I enter replies: just clicking the "quote" link is giving me what I assume are Javascript errors.

Any chance you could screen-shot these for me?  I am definitely not experiencing the quote problem at least, and there haven't been any code changes of note.  (That said, it does seem to be hanging on 'fetching preview...' when I click the preview button.)

How recently did this problem start showing up for you?
Fred Hicks
I own the board. If I start talking in my moderator voice, expect the Fist of God to be close on my heels. Red is my Fist of God voice.
www.evilhat.com * www.dresdenfilesrpg.com
Support this site: http://www.jim-butcher.com/store/

Offline iago

• The Merlin
  • Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
    • Deadly Fredly
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2007, 10:55:25 PM »
Any chance you could screen-shot these for me?  I am definitely not experiencing the quote problem at least, and there haven't been any code changes of note.  (That said, it does seem to be hanging on 'fetching preview...' when I click the preview button.)

How recently did this problem start showing up for you?

Hm. It seems that the google analytics stuff I put into the page may be messing with the preview function, at the very least.  And based on some testing, you must be talking about the 'Insert Quote' thing in the topic summary instead of the 'Quote' button on the thread display page.  Yeah, both of those seem not to function when the Analytics block is in at the end of the page.  I'll have to think hard about what I can do about that; I don't want to give up gathering my usage stats! >:(
Fred Hicks
I own the board. If I start talking in my moderator voice, expect the Fist of God to be close on my heels. Red is my Fist of God voice.

Offline Phil Boswell

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2007, 11:02:12 PM »
It's just been the last few days. Interestingly the problem seems to have gone away just now...did you maybe remove something while testing it?

I don't recall the exact error I was getting, but it was something like "expected an object"...Javascript is not my best language :(
Phil

Offline iago

• The Merlin
  • Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
    • Deadly Fredly
« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2007, 11:05:31 PM »
It's just been the last few days. Interestingly the problem seems to have gone away just now...did you maybe remove something while testing it?

I don't recall the exact error I was getting, but it was something like "expected an object"...Javascript is not my best language :(

Looks like it was a problem with where I positioned the script block for the Analytics code.  I've put it in what I think is the more proper place, and the problems appear to have vanished.

Thanks for catching this.
Fred Hicks

Offline Phil Boswell

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2007, 11:09:27 PM »
No worries...debugging used to be my permanent job, and still takes up an indecent amount of my time ;)
* Phil recalls distantly the pal who modified his debugger so that the start-up message ran "debugger am here, sah!"…oh, those heady days before PC took over ;D
Phil