Author Topic: An Emmissary of the Erlking  (Read 3916 times)

Offline Apollishar

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
An Emmissary of the Erlking
« on: March 27, 2012, 12:36:19 AM »
Basically, I'm trying to build a Chest Deep level Emmissary of the Erlking. Someone to take up the hunt when the prey moves to the mortal realm. I've got the backstory and such, but am having trouble figuring out what abilities to give him. Any help would be much appreciated.

Offline Adin

• Participant
    • View Profile
Re: An Emmissary of the Erlking
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2012, 12:45:18 AM »
Heavy focus on the physical powers seems like the best bet.  Speed and strength powers in equal measure, along with world walker.  I don't see an emissary of the Erl King with sponsored magic or glamour.
Marked by powers seems like a good bet as does an item of power (a spear?)

Skills should focus heavily on the physical side of things, athletics and weapons being paramount.

Offline Apollishar

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2012, 12:59:57 AM »
Heavy focus on the physical powers seems like the best bet.  Speed and strength powers in equal measure, along with world walker.  I don't see an emissary of the Erl King with sponsored magic or glamour.
Marked by powers seems like a good bet as does an item of power (a spear?)

Skills should focus heavily on the physical side of things, athletics and weapons being paramount.
Ok, good start.

As far as skill distribution, I figured Weapons, Athletics, Stealth, and Survival, but thats as far as I've gotten
« Last Edit: March 27, 2012, 01:18:39 AM by Apollishar »

Offline Richard_Chilton

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2012, 01:43:40 AM »
Endurance should be high.  Probably Might as well.  Alertness to notice the Prey.

Conviction or Discipline might not be that useful, but I see a hunter being firm in his purpose.

Part of me wants to say Toughness, but another part of me has the Erlking sneering at needing it.

If you're going with an IoP like a Spear, you might consider putting the bulk of the character's powers into it.  That way the Erlking is only blessing you with power when you're armed and ready for the hunt.  Carrying around a spear causing you social problems? Then deal with it like the Hunter you are.

Then again, I'm thinking more "Erlking as leader of the wild hunt" than "Erlking as king of the goblins".  To me going goblin involves a different mindset.  More toughness and strength, less speed.

In either case I don't see social skills being that important.  The Erlking seems to lack respect for word games and banter.

Scholarship, Lore - they might be useful.

As always, just suggestions.

Richard

Offline Apollishar

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2012, 01:52:29 AM »
Endurance should be high.  Probably Might as well.  Alertness to notice the Prey.

Conviction or Discipline might not be that useful, but I see a hunter being firm in his purpose.

Part of me wants to say Toughness, but another part of me has the Erlking sneering at needing it.

If you're going with an IoP like a Spear, you might consider putting the bulk of the character's powers into it.  That way the Erlking is only blessing you with power when you're armed and ready for the hunt.  Carrying around a spear causing you social problems? Then deal with it like the Hunter you are.

Then again, I'm thinking more "Erlking as leader of the wild hunt" than "Erlking as king of the goblins".  To me going goblin involves a different mindset.  More toughness and strength, less speed.

In either case I don't see social skills being that important.  The Erlking seems to lack respect for word games and banter.

Scholarship, Lore - they might be useful.

As always, just suggestions.

Richard

Thanks. As far as an IoP, a spear would be appropriate. But, several other weapons are associated with The Hunt. Bows for long range, a knife for skinning, a net for capture, etc. So, a shapechanging weapon?

As far as the character, he used to be an Aztec Jaguar Warrior, and so stealth more than toughness makes more sense for him to have, as well as the fact that when you hunt something, you aren't intending to fight it.

Also, would it make more sense to have Speed( to run down the prey) or Strength (to overpower)?

Offline MWKilduff

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2012, 01:56:14 AM »
Don't forget some of the best talents and abilities that a hunter can have are sense based or stealth based.  You are catching or killing your prey, not fighting a dual with it.  So, I have to say Glamours and Supernatural Senses top my list.  Now lets also keep in mind that trapping is a huge part of hunting historically, so you can go nuts with Glamours for veils to hide the tiger pit you dug with your Supernatural Attributes or just veil yourself for stalking your prey.  When you look at Supernatural Senses I say play around a little with more unusual methods in the animal kingdom such as sonar, echo location, blood tracking (like a shark), electromagnetic senses or tremor sense.  This concept is rife with fun and weirdness.  I can't wait to see what you come up with.
A wink, a smile, and a whole lot more!

Offline Apollishar

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2012, 02:06:40 AM »
The Glamour part had occured to me, but I also felt like it wasn't "traditional huntsman" enough, given the Erlking's disposition against normal Sidhe trickery.

But yea, I am liking the concept, and if given enough ideas, may have a full character sheet fleshed out by the end of the night

Offline UmbraLux

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2012, 02:11:50 AM »
Are you going with the Wild Hunt or Goblin King theme?  It does make a fairly significant difference as Richard mentions.

Following the Wild Hunt theme I'd emphasize relentless speed, supernatural tracking, and probably a fear based stunt or power.  They should be able to capture or kill with equal facility - as I remember from myth more were captured and transformed to part of the hunt than killed.  If you have any magics, they should probably revolve around transformation.

A Goblin King character would be capable of violent mayhem or malicious deceit.  Strength, toughness, and stealth powers are probably your bread and butter.  If a 'shaman' Glamours and court Sponsored Magic may also fit.  I'd lean more towards Contact stunts / powers combined with Worldwalking...call a few minions in to help when needed.  You'd need to work out details of course.
--
“As our circle of knowledge expands, so does the circumference of darkness surrounding it.”  - Albert Einstein

"Rudeness is a weak imitation of strength."  - Eric Hoffer

Offline Apollishar

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 27, 2012, 02:28:40 AM »
I'm definitely going with the Huntsman theme. And, he's allowed to hunt freely, as long as he focuses on the proper hunt when the Erlking calls

Offline Vargo Teras

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 27, 2012, 03:05:50 AM »
I think Cloak of Shadows and a high Stealth should cover the stalking needs without going into Glamours; Inhuman+ Speed stacks well with these, since it means you can move quickly without being noticed and thus maneuver yourself into position to strike.  If you can pull off an ambush, the Strength is less necessary, since you'll have a high margin of success to add stress to your first hit (and consequences to tag for the second).

Offline UmbraLux

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 27, 2012, 03:14:06 AM »
I'm definitely going with the Huntsman theme. And, he's allowed to hunt freely, as long as he focuses on the proper hunt when the Erlking calls
So, possible powers for a Wile Hunt themed character:
 - Speed, possibly externalized into a mount (perhaps a horse which can disguise itself as a motorcycle). 
 - Supernatural Sense:  Fear  (The Hunt seldom loses prey once the chase begins, perhaps this is why.  Other senses might work also.)
 - Houndmaster:  May spend a fate point to give anyone touched Demonic Co-Pilot for a scene.  You set the agenda but may be overridden by the Huntmaster or Erlking. 
 - Claws may work - did the Erlking transform you?  Other Creature features may also fit.
 - Strength / Recovery - Strength for capturing / killing prey and recovery for the tireless chase.
 - Incite Emotion (Fear) may work.  Working it into something more limited (perhaps to 'prey in sight' at -2) is probably better.
Skills:
 - Survival (tracking)
 - Intimidation (Probably with a stunt to cause fear during a chase - nice synergy with sensing fear.)
 - Lore (assuming you use a supernatural sense based on Lore)
 - Athletics / Endurance / Drive (or Ride) - based on how you chase down prey
 - Might / Weapons - what you use to take prey down
--
“As our circle of knowledge expands, so does the circumference of darkness surrounding it.”  - Albert Einstein

"Rudeness is a weak imitation of strength."  - Eric Hoffer

Offline Apollishar

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 27, 2012, 03:41:00 AM »
So, possible powers for a Wile Hunt themed character:
 - Speed, possibly externalized into a mount (perhaps a horse which can disguise itself as a motorcycle).  
- Supernatural Sense:  Fear  (The Hunt seldom loses prey once the chase begins, perhaps this is why.  Other senses might work also.)
- Houndmaster:  May spend a fate point to give anyone touched Demonic Co-Pilot for a scene.  You set the agenda but may be overridden by the Huntmaster or Erlking. 
 - Claws may work - did the Erlking transform you?  Other Creature features may also fit.
 - Strength / Recovery - Strength for capturing / killing prey and recovery for the tireless chase.
- Incite Emotion (Fear) may work.  Working it into something more limited (perhaps to 'prey in sight' at -2) is probably better.
Skills:
- Survival (tracking)
 - Intimidation (Probably with a stunt to cause fear during a chase - nice synergy with sensing fear.)
- Lore (assuming you use a supernatural sense based on Lore) - Athletics / Endurance / Drive (or Ride) - based on how you chase down prey
 - Might / Weapons - what you use to take prey down

Ok, the bolded parts I like. Houndmaster- If I do anything, it'll probably be a limited summoning type, and summon actual hunting hounds.

Claws- Wasn't transformed.

Strength- I like him being more of an intelligent predator than an overpowering one.

Incite Emotion (Fear) - While this would be a great mechanic, I like the idea of causing fear through mundane means

Might- Definitely going to be using weapons.

-------------------------------------------------------------------

Speaking of weapons, as far as an IoP, I'm thinking a shapeshifting weapon(spear, knife, and bow+quiver) that bestows the Supernatural Senses, and gives a boost to Speed and tracking.

Offline Apollishar

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 27, 2012, 02:47:25 PM »
Neurion (Emissary of Power) – Chest Deep
High Aspect: The Hunter's Blade
Trouble: Rookie Emissary
Other Aspects: Tracker of Beasts-Born in Aztec lands, Coatl grew up learning to be a hunter and warrior. As he got into his late teens, he began gaining more experience. His home life was nothing special among his town. His father had the same profession, and taught Coatl all that he knew.
A Warrior Ascended - After a particularly brutal battle, coatl became one of the famed Jaguar warriors. To do this, one had to capture four enemies for sacrifice over his career. coatl accomplished three times that in a single battle. Becoming a stalker of the night, he recieved better training and skills.
Touched by the Hunt - while on a journey to capture a sacrifice for the gods, coatl became overcome by the urge to hunt harder than he ever had before. Surrounded by hunters of different races, different beings entirely, coatl didn't question. He just hunted. following the horde, he found himself in a strange land. Little did he know that he had followed the wild hunt into the Nevernever. The year was 1520.
Forged in the Wilds - Coatl became a retainer of the Erlking, a low ranking hunter. While he had been a master in the mortal realms, the underlings of the Erlking showed him the ways of a true hunter. He continued following the Erlking, hunting for pleasure, and forsaking his old ways. He had a new god to follow. The god of the hunt. After many years and many hunts, there became one where even the mighty Erlking, Peer of the Queens, couldn't follow. Back to the mortal realm, and back to the home of Coatl. The Erlking, bound by honor to see the hunt finished, spent little time pondering how to continue. After a brief deliberation, The Erlking decided to create an Emissary, much like the Knights of the Summer and Winter courts. One to hunt in his name in the mortal realm. This is how Coatl was bestowed with the name Neurion(successor).
Hunter for Hire - In his new capacity as the Huntsman of the Mortal Realm, Neurion began hunting any manner of mundane beasts, keeping himself as practiced as possible. As he had to provide for himself, and to be able to gain information, he started his own profession. He became a bounty hunter of the Supernatural Realm, operating out of an office in Atlanta, Georgia. His most exciting hunt thus far was when he had been hired to help Hunt the traitor Donald Morgan. Had the Queen of Summer not intervened, he would've surely aided in capturing the man.

Stress:
Physical: OOOO
Social: OO
Mental: OOO

Skills:
• Superb (+5): Stealth, Survival
• Great (+4): Weapons, Athletics
• Good (+3): Alertness, Endurance
• Fair (+2): Contacts
• Average (+1): Conviction, Intimidation, Resources, Might

SuperNatural Powers:
  • WorldWalker
  • Supernatural Recovery. Catch:Cold Iron
  • Item of Power- The Hunter's Spear. -
    It is what it is- A spear. Stick them with the pointy end. Weapon: 2
    One Time Discount- It's a spear. +2
    Unbreakable
    Must- Have to be considered a hunter by the Erlking to wield it.
    Powers- Inhuman Speed -2
    Marked By Power -1
    Cloak of Shadows -1
    Strange Senses- Fear, Electroreception, and Tracker's Boon (Tracker's Boon- Whenever a person is wounded by the Spear and/or Marked for hunting by the Erlking himself ( Like Dresden), their foot prints seem to glow in the sight of the wielder.) -2

Adjusted Refresh: 1

----------------------------------------------------------

So, this is what I came up with. I thought about adding a Weapons skill+1 to the spear, but wasn't sure if that would be enough for a refresh cost or not, so I opted out. Also, would a spear be a Weapon Rating of 2 or 3?

Offline Mr. Death

• Posty McPostington
  • Not all those who wander are lost
    • View Profile
    • The C-Team Podcast
« Reply #13 on: March 27, 2012, 02:51:31 PM »
There's got to be another skill at 2 in there.
Compels solve everything!

http://blur.by/1KgqJg6 My first book: "Brothers of the Curled Isles"

Quote from: Cozarkian
Not every word JB rights is a conspiracy. Sometimes, he's just telling a story.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC_T_mld7Acnm-0FVUiaKDPA The C-Team Podcast

Offline sinker

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 27, 2012, 03:23:07 PM »
An item from the IoP master list.

HUNTER'S SPEAR [-4]
Description: A Sidhe-bone spear, made by the Erlking for his Emissary. It increases the user's speed and grants some access to the Erlking's natural power.
Musts: You must have an aspect related to your possession of this item.
Skills Affected: Weapons, Conviction, Athletics, Alertness, Stealth, Lore, Discipline
Effects:
[-0] Purpose. This item was made by the Erlking to aid in the hunt. If the wielder ever ceases to be a hunter, as defined by the Erlking, this item will not work for him in a mundane or a magical sense.
[-0] It Is What It Is. It's a spear, much like the ones once used to hunt wild boar. Weapon 3.
[-0] Unbreakable. As an Item of Power, this item cannot be broken except with a magical ritual predicated upon perverting its purpose.
[+2] One-Time Discount. It's as long as some people are tall. You can't just slip it into your pocket.
[-2] Inhuman Speed. The user of this speed moves with the unaffected grace of a predatory beast.
[-4] The Magic Of The Hunt. The user of this spear may use the magic of the Erlking for himself. This is a form of Sponsored Magic.

Dunno if it helps, but I thought I'd mention it.