Author Topic: Roleplaying a Knight of a Faerie Court  (Read 3272 times)

Offline RevengeofTim

• Participant
    • View Profile
Roleplaying a Knight of a Faerie Court
« on: March 24, 2012, 08:22:42 PM »
I've been a GM and a player of different games for more than a decade and I've read all the Dresden books, but this still bothers me.
I may be playing one in an upcoming game and I'm not sure how to roleplay someone who lives amongst mortals and fae, who has obligations and travels, but also has free will.
Who can lie, but is often as squirrelly as the sidhe. The fact that all the Knights seem to be different doesn't help. Fix in particular seems to have an odd way of talking, one moment mortal and informal, then when important business comes up, talks like an etiquette handbook on the fae, only less clear.

So, how should I talk and act as a Champion of Summer or Winter?

Offline ways and means

• Posty McPostington
  • What Lies in the Truth, what truth in the Lies.
    • View Profile
Re: Roleplaying a Knight of a Faerie Court
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2012, 09:14:58 PM »
Knights are first and foremost human and vary as much as normal people on the one hand you get psychotic brutal Flint a reflection of his purpose (as a fae assassin) and on the other you get the old man and Fix who reacted very differently to their power. You can play a knight any way you want as long as you remember where the characters loyalty is.
« Last Edit: March 25, 2012, 02:31:37 AM by ways and means »
Every night has its day.
Even forever must come to an end....
I think.

Offline EdgeOfDreams

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2012, 02:19:39 AM »
Knights are first and foremost human and very as much as normal people on the one hand you get psychotic brutal Flint a reflection of his purpose (as a fae assassin) and on the other you get the old man and Fix who reacted very differently to their power. You can play a knight any way you want as long as you remember where the characters loyalty is.

Agreed. I think the key is to figure out who your character was BEFORE he or she took on the mantle of power. Ask how and why they became the knight, and how they reacted to it.

Offline RevengeofTim

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2012, 05:20:07 AM »
So far I've got;

High Concept: Summer Knight
Trouble: Titania knows my True Name.

Aspects:

I Chose Mortality
-He was originally a changeling, who chose Mortality. I'm not sure why. Maybe because he became the Knight, maybe on moral grounds.

Have Sword, Will Travel
-Did something heroic to get the offer of Knight.

Promises to Keep
-Obligations and debts are repaid in his first adventure with the party.

I think I can take them!
-Overconfident in his new power.

I'm new at this, okay!?
-Still learning the whole Knight-stuff

Unfortunately there's a lot of gaps in his history at the moment.

Offline EdgeOfDreams

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2012, 05:16:39 PM »
Promises to Keep
-Obligations and debts are repaid in his first adventure with the party.

Aww, man, now I want to write up a character that has that aspect, and another named "and miles to go before I sleep".

Offline Mr. Death

• Posty McPostington
  • Not all those who wander are lost
    • View Profile
    • The C-Team Podcast
« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2012, 10:07:23 PM »
I concur with what the others said. Roleplaying a Knight of either court is less, "What does a Winter/Summer Knight act like?" and more, "How does this character react to being the Winter/Summer Knight?"
Compels solve everything!

http://blur.by/1KgqJg6 My first book: "Brothers of the Curled Isles"

Quote from: Cozarkian
Not every word JB rights is a conspiracy. Sometimes, he's just telling a story.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC_T_mld7Acnm-0FVUiaKDPA The C-Team Podcast

Offline RevengeofTim

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2012, 03:19:49 AM »
Aww, man, now I want to write up a character that has that aspect, and another named "and miles to go before I sleep".

Once we pass our first major milestone, I'm swapping "I'm new at this" for "and miles to go before I sleep" ;)

Offline computerking

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
    • Into the Dark
« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2012, 07:36:33 PM »
I wonder, is anyone running a game with an NPC Harry Dresden as Winter Knight? And if so, How's it going?
I'm the ComputerKing, I can Do Anything...
Into the Dark, A Podcast dedicated to Villainy
www.savethevillain.com

PS: %^#@ Orbius. This may or may not be relevant to the discussion, but whatever.

Offline Silverblaze

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 26, 2012, 07:50:33 PM »
I'd be curious to hear about that as well.

Please discuss your experiences here as well: begin shameless plug

Code: [Select]
http://www.jimbutcheronline.com/bb/index.php/topic,28896.0.html

Offline RevengeofTim

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 27, 2012, 09:16:03 PM »
Just a quick update;

The character concept as I have it now, is a new Knight of the Summer Court (the game may be set before the dresden files)
He's lived a little amongst the fae, but chose to be a mortal, I'm not sure when. He's very new to the position, at 6 refresh, he's learning the magic
and polishing his sword play, but he needs more real combat experience.

He keeps his word, or at least the letter of it, as a side affect of being friendly with the fae, although his naivety towards mortals makes him more inclined to keep to the spirit in those circumstances. He is an altruist, and I'm sure it will be exploited soon enough. As  consequence of being a new Knight, he doesn't have a good idea of how powerful he is, or where he ranks in supernatural circles, leading to bouts of over and under confidence.

I'm starting to think his mother was a noble amongst the sidhe who look a lover, probably a mortal warrior. Maybe even a wizard. In any case, they're both dead, and he stumbled through life as a barman and drifter, mainly with other changelings. He's always gravitated to the courts and occasionally received small kindnesses, in repayment for debts owed to his mother, or out of respect for her. This is probably what created his somewhat misplaced altruism.

The only thing I don't know is what elevated him to such status that a job as Knight was feasible...

Offline Apollishar

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 27, 2012, 10:53:47 PM »
I always viewed it like this.

Why do the Sidhe make bargains? Particularly, why do they emphasize bargaining with creatures of power? They're making an investment. Lea bargaining with a young Harry. Look at Harry's current power, even without being the WK. That's a hell of an investment. Extrapolating further, the standard fairy deal of firstborn children. Seems to me that the Sidhe have the ability to see potential. So, that's really all you need. They are choosing you as the Knight for what youare, and are choosing you for what you will be. that's how I view it anyway

Offline MWKilduff

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 27, 2012, 11:37:26 PM »
Apollishar,  I think that is one of the best ways of viewing the Fae I have heard in a long time.  Hell, I think I need to design a power or stunt that views potential.  It makes sense why the fae are always interested in humans.  Do you think a power or stunt is necessary or should it just be a role played and skill based scene?
A wink, a smile, and a whole lot more!

Offline Apollishar

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 27, 2012, 11:51:51 PM »
I woulnd think roleplay and skill based scene, but atm I'm trying to think of what skill would do it. Lore maybe?

Offline MWKilduff

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 28, 2012, 12:24:37 AM »
Actually if we are distilling this to a single roll or contest it looks like empathy fits best since it covers Reading People.  And, since it seems most powerful Fae are master manipulators then empathy makes sense.  I would also say that if we are looking at any powers you can easily use to boost this skill check then the Sight can be used to determine the strength of any Powers.  I think I am going to be adding this to my game I am running.  I would love to hear some other input on this idea.
A wink, a smile, and a whole lot more!

Offline Apollishar

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 28, 2012, 12:36:09 AM »
I don't have the book with me. But if I remember correctly, the Lore skill has a magical perception subtext. If you took a stunt to specifically get a feel for potential.... maybe?