Author Topic: Mega Minion as a quest to Change Aspect  (Read 1252 times)

Offline ReturnToOne

• Participant
    • View Profile
Mega Minion as a quest to Change Aspect
« on: March 19, 2012, 11:26:25 AM »
Something that came to me while reading over the various threads about summoning, conjuring, and crafting various minions. What I noticed is that most attempts at balancing the creation of a semi-permanent or long lasting minion are tied primarily to  trying to equate the value of said minion in purely mechanical terms. However no matter how many times it gets done it is left feeling inadequate. The solution I would suggest is for the creation of long term to semi-permanent (until killed or dispelled) minions is to instead of trying to quantify its value and have them mechanically go through the motions, treat it as an attempt to change an aspect of the caster while going through the narrative of casting a spell.

Basically going on a quest to make a "friend" rather than a check list with a few dice rolls. (still have them go through the casting bit, but make it a sort of finally or a contest than a process)

Offline devonapple

• Posty McPostington
  • Parkour to YOU!
    • View Profile
    • LiveJournal Account
Re: Mega Minion as a quest to Change Aspect
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2012, 04:25:22 PM »
Are you suggesting that a Minion be an Aspect of the character?
"Like a voice, like a crack, like a whispering shriek
That echoes on like it’s carpet-bombing feverish white jungles of thought
That I’m positive are not even mine"

Blackout, The Darkest of the Hillside Thickets

Offline Richard_Chilton

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2012, 06:19:52 PM »
Not all relationships have to be aspects...

Is Mouse an aspect of Harry's character?
Is Thomas?

Richard

Offline Sanctaphrax

• White Council
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2012, 01:50:09 AM »
Not sure what you're saying here...

Offline Locnil

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2012, 03:06:11 AM »
So basically, you can only have long-term minions if you go on a quest to acquire them, hitting a few milestones on the way?

Offline Richard_Chilton

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2012, 05:57:03 AM »
Not sure what you're saying here...

Basically, that in many ways, Mouse could be seen as Harry's Minion.  In several of the books Mouse appears to be semi-magic dog who does what Harry does him to.  Harry sometimes wonders "Did Mouse think to do that on his own?" but basically treats Mouse as his dog.

Thomas can be seen as another of Harry's minions - at least in some books.  He sends Thomas out to do things.  He calls on Thomas' help in fights.  He can count on Thomas to do more or less what he asks Thomas to do.

Neither of these appear on Harry's sheet.  Not as minions, not as allies, not as Contacts - they are just people (okay, stretching that a bit for Mouse) that Harry knows who are there for him.  If Harry wasn't charged for his minions (not even for Kincaid when Harry hired him) then why should the average PC be charged refresh, skill, milestones, etc for a minion?

In game time - that I can see.  Harry has to walk Mouse, feed Mouse, see to Mouse's needs - and that takes up time in the books.  Missing a scene or two to maintain a relationship - I can definitely see that.  But I can't see charging refresh for companions, helpers, assistants, pets, etc.

Richard