Author Topic: logged in "forever" query  (Read 8562 times)

Offline the neurovore of Zur-En-Aargh

• O. M. G.
  • Riding eternal, shiny and Firefox
    • View Profile
logged in "forever" query
« on: May 09, 2007, 04:30:33 PM »
When I log in and set the time I want to stay logged in to "forever", how long does the site actually keep me registered as logged in ?  I ask because I was a bit surprised that it had logged me out over the weekend.  This isn't a request for anything to be changed, I'd just like to know.
Mildly OCD. Please do not troll.

"What do you mean, Lawful Silly isn't a valid alignment?"

kittensgame, Sandcastle Builder, Homestuck, Welcome to Night Vale, Civ III, lots of print genre SF, and old-school SATT gaming if I had the time.  Also Pandemic Legacy is the best game ever.

Offline iago

• The Merlin
  • Posty McPostington
  • I'm the site administrator.
    • View Profile
    • Deadly Fredly
Re: logged in "forever" query
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2007, 04:37:43 PM »
Logged in "forever" just means that the cookie that maintains your login state has a very, very long expiration time on it.  It's still possible to lose your logged-in status if you clear out the cookies stored on your browser, for example.
Fred Hicks
I own the board. If I start talking in my moderator voice, expect the Fist of God to be close on my heels. Red is my Fist of God voice.
www.evilhat.com * www.dresdenfilesrpg.com
Support this site: http://www.jim-butcher.com/store/

Offline Slife

• Conversationalist
  • Fuego Maximilian‽
    • View Profile
    • VGF, Yo.  Home of the World's First Spritecomic
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2007, 01:47:40 AM »
Logged in "forever" just means that the cookie that maintains your login state has a very, very long expiration time on it.  It's still possible to lose your logged-in status if you clear out the cookies stored on your browser, for example.
I only stay logged in as long as the PHPSESSID in my URL is the same.  If I just go to jim-butcher.com/bb/index.php I get logged out.
Rule one of magic:  Never, ever, under any circumstances, trust someone named "Morningstar".

Offline wizard1974uk

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2007, 05:48:53 PM »
I only stay logged in as long as the PHPSESSID in my URL is the same.  If I just go to jim-butcher.com/bb/index.php I get logged out.

don't use the URL with PHPSESSID.

Just log back in without the session ID and you should be ok.

Offline The Dread Pharaoh Roberts

• Posty McPostington
  • We are men of action. Lies do not become us.
    • View Profile
    • Family friendly tees, mugs, posters, etc...
« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2007, 04:11:31 PM »
Yeah, for a couple of days I was having to clear cookies to log in to my e-mail (a screw-up having to do with their cookies, apparently) and every time I came back here after doing it, I had to log back in.
Your Pharaoh Has Spoken...

Online portfolio: http://samurphy0320.deviantart.com/