Author Topic: Questions  (Read 44408 times)

Offline TheCuriousFan

• Special Collections Division
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
Re: Questions
« Reply #165 on: March 20, 2012, 09:39:54 AM »
But nothing about giant birds. The kenku must have evacuated their own dead.

And all the weapons old and modern. All the jewelry and strange personal possessions. Some cleanup was certainly done but the mess was so big that not everything could be dealt with.

Wasn't all that was said about the bodies was that they were all unrecogniseable or something? (Note: I agree the Kenku corpses were probably cleared out, just curious about how the corpses were described)
Currently dealing with a backlog of games.

If you want me to type up a book quote or find a WoJ quote, send me a PM.

Rest in peace mdodd.

Offline King Ash

• Posty McPostington
  • Its good to be king!!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #166 on: March 20, 2012, 12:05:03 PM »
Do we know that the kenku would have left a body? Fae leave a body behind, but many other creatures of the Never Never do not and just leave a puddle of ectoplasm. The Kenku may be like this.
There is only one God and his name is Death. And there is only one thing we say to Death. Not Today!!!! Syrio Forel, First Sword of Braavos.

Offline TheCuriousFan

• Special Collections Division
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #167 on: March 20, 2012, 12:06:39 PM »
Do we know that the kenku would have left a body? Fae leave a body behind, but many other creatures of the Never Never do not and just leave a puddle of ectoplasm. The Kenku may be like this.

Their blood didn't turn into Ectoplasm, why would the rest of them? And who says they're creatures of the Nevernever?
Currently dealing with a backlog of games.

If you want me to type up a book quote or find a WoJ quote, send me a PM.

Rest in peace mdodd.

Offline Arjan

• Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #168 on: March 20, 2012, 12:08:49 PM »
Their blood didn't turn into Ectoplasm, why would the rest of them? And who says they're creatures of the Nevernever?
Even if they are. Faeries leave bodies too. Red vampires also.
WG+++: The White God is Mister.
SH[Elaine+++]

Offline Richard_Chilton

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #169 on: March 20, 2012, 03:39:12 PM »

I thought they were a spirit court.  If so, spirits use ectoplasm for bodies in this world.  If not, then they were beings from the Nevernever who don't live in Faerie and might leave a body - which is one of the things the Grey Council would have to take care of before leaving.

Richard

Offline wyltok

• Posty McPostington
  • With Great Power...
    • View Profile
« Reply #170 on: March 20, 2012, 05:11:33 PM »
Monoc Industries must have a division dedicated to cleaning up supernatural evidence.

Wonder who's paying that bill?
Every time you do something, somebody says: "(gasp!) That has this implication and this implication and that implication!" and you go like: "No, what I really meant was, the curtains were blue."
- Jim Butcher at Space City Con, 2013

Offline Paladino

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #171 on: March 20, 2012, 05:15:44 PM »
Monoc Industries must have a division dedicated to cleaning up supernatural evidence.

Wonder who's paying that bill?

I'm pretty sure the winner looted a lot of interesting things out of CI.. And being the first to know the RC was gone, Odin would have moved quickly acquiring a lot of the RC resources around the world.

Offline TonyA

• Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #172 on: March 22, 2012, 10:41:26 PM »
OK, I am reading the series for the second time and have a couple of questions.

1) Why did agent Benn's Hexbelt turn to goo (Fool Moon), everyone elses had to be burned? 

2) When Harry buried Lasciel's coin (Death Masks); why didn't the wet cement disrupt the circle? Harry broke the Shadowmans circle with a film canister.

Thanks

I hope it's not bad form to answer your own posts; but here I go anyway. I finished rereading (Proven Guilty) which states.

"A ring of plain silver was set into the floor-my summoning circle. Underneath it lay a foot and a half or so of concrete, and then another heavy metal box, wrapped with its own little circle of wards and spells. Inside the box was a blackened silver coin."

So it looks like this is one of those minor inconsistencies. Like when Luccio is shot in the cheek in one book and then referenced as being shot in the back of the head in another. It makes me wonder though; how high/low a circle extends and why the box lid didn't break it?

Offline Mr. Death

• Posty McPostington
  • Not all those who wander are lost
    • View Profile
    • The C-Team Podcast
« Reply #173 on: March 22, 2012, 10:55:25 PM »
Luccio's body wasn't shot in the cheek--she was shot in the back of the head, with the cheek being the exit wound. Even in the original, she doesn't turn around before Harry plugs her.
Compels solve everything!

http://blur.by/1KgqJg6 My first book: "Brothers of the Curled Isles"

Quote from: Cozarkian
Not every word JB rights is a conspiracy. Sometimes, he's just telling a story.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC_T_mld7Acnm-0FVUiaKDPA The C-Team Podcast

Offline TonyA

• Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #174 on: March 22, 2012, 11:30:49 PM »
Per (Dead Beat):

"She never got it. In that single second of uncertainty, Corpsetaker had been relying upon her disguise to defend her, and had her mind bent upon planning her next step-not preparing her death curse. The bullet from my.44 hit her just over her right cheekbone."

Offline AcornArmy

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #175 on: March 23, 2012, 08:13:32 PM »
Per (Dead Beat):

"She never got it. In that single second of uncertainty, Corpsetaker had been relying upon her disguise to defend her, and had her mind bent upon planning her next step-not preparing her death curse. The bullet from my.44 hit her just over her right cheekbone."

If I remember correctly, it's always Harry doing the recounting of him shooting Corpsetaker. She was standing in front of him with her back to him, so even though she turned her head when he called her name, it may be that Harry still thinks of it in terms of shooting her in the back of the head. A personal-impression thing, rather than a strictly-factual thing. Harry's own sense of it at the time was that he was shooting her from behind, in the head, so he thinks of it as shooting her in the back of the head, regardless of where the bullet actually hit.
DV AcornArmy YR5FR5 BK+++ RP+ TH+(++) WG+++ CL++ SH[Mab+ Lara++ Molly+++]

Offline DARTHYAM

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #176 on: March 30, 2012, 07:10:34 PM »
when harry and susan look through the records the items include a dagger, a sword, a brick and a vase. assuming that the dagger is the one big red used than where were the other artifacts and what were they used for? When Harry is in the chamber he sees the big altar in the centre, and that alone is enough to impress bob. 

Offline derrick

• Conversationalist
  • Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum videtur
    • View Profile
« Reply #177 on: March 31, 2012, 03:46:27 AM »
when harry and susan look through the records the items include a dagger, a sword, a brick and a vase. assuming that the dagger is the one big red used than where were the other artifacts and what were they used for? When Harry is in the chamber he sees the big altar in the centre, and that alone is enough to impress bob.

I'll throw out a few WAGs.  From what I've read, a sword is sometimes used in place of (or alongside) an athame in magic rituals [as a side note, Harry does pick up a non-obsidian sword at some point at Chicken Pizza; no idea if it was that one.]  I suppose the vase is for blood.  Or flowers.  You never know with vampires.  I think the brick was meant as a joke.  ;)
WARNING: The above post may contain sarcasm, esoteric verbiage, nonstandard formatting, disjointed thoughts, and/or inappropriate remarks about goldfish.

Offline DARTHYAM

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #178 on: March 31, 2012, 07:14:36 AM »
Okay fair enough; but why a vase and a brick? Given that the mayans had jaguar shaped altars I think they procured that through possessing them, and i suppose the brick and vase could have been used to release the energy

Offline Second Aristh

• Posty McPostington
  • Numeromancer
    • View Profile
« Reply #179 on: April 01, 2012, 05:20:32 AM »
Okay fair enough; but why a vase and a brick? Given that the mayans had jaguar shaped altars I think they procured that through possessing them, and i suppose the brick and vase could have been used to release the energy
Perhaps it's a link to the four elements instead of something Mayan specific?  Brick represents earth, vase is water, and dagger/sword go to fire/air in some combination.  I want to say that Harry has done something similar when he was setting up ritual magic before.
We shall not fail or falter, we shall not weaken or tire...Give us the tools, and we will finish the job.--Winston Churchill