Author Topic: IoP brainstorming  (Read 2742 times)

Offline Soulless Mystic5523

• Posty McPostington
  • Icon lovingly crafted by ButMadNNW
    • View Profile
IoP brainstorming
« on: March 14, 2012, 02:37:17 AM »
So I've had this idea going around in my head for awhile now about a game based around a group of IoPs. Group of random PCs (all fairly low refresh but other than that anything goes) end up hiding together from some big bad nasty. While hiding one or two of them find these old cheap looking Power Ranger-esk Halloween costumes. Turns out though that they are IoPs that grant color relevant elemental powers. I see them being IoPs that basically when used you become an Emissary of some god/s. I'm just kinid of stuck on how (or even if you could) stat something like this. Any and all thoughts welcome. Even if its just to laugh at my silly idea ;)
WHAT CAN THE HARVEST HOPE FOR, IF NOT FOR THE CARE OF THE REAPER MAN.

Death    Reaper Man   Terry Pratchett

DV SoullessMystic5523 V1.2 YR7 FR5 BK++ RP+++ JB++ TH++ WG CL++ SW+ BC+ MC---- SH[Murphy++, Molly+]

Offline Vargo Teras

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
Re: IoP brainstorming
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2012, 04:15:26 AM »
Becoming an Emissary would be Marked by Power; basic elemental powers could simply be Channeling, although you could also add an element-appropriate attribute of some kind.  My instinct says Inhuman Speed for Air, Inhuman Strength for Fire, Inhuman Recovery for Water, and Inhuman Toughness for Earth; if you're adding significant Catches, then bump them up to Supernatural to retain point parity.  Slap the appropriate powers into an Item of Power with its two points of One-Time Discount, and you're good to go.

Offline Arcane

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2012, 04:33:37 AM »
A version of Breath Weapon where they can shoot their appropriate element at targets might also be a feature, as might a reskinned Claws that allowed them to sheath their fists with their element to make their punches stronger.

Wind-riding (reskinned Wings) for Air, Aquatic for Water, and Physical Immunity: Fire for Fire might be good as well.  Don't have an idea on what to give Earth though.
You Might Know Me As:

Charlie Wiseman

Jeffrey Campbell

Offline Sanctaphrax

• White Council
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2012, 11:26:25 PM »
Beast Change could be appropriate, depending on what the characters are supposed to be like. Same goes for Marked By Power.

From the custom powers list, there's a fair bit of stuff that might be useful. My suggestions:

Stonewalk
Pack Instincts
Transformation Sequence
Elemental Absorption
Dangerous Aura
Flesh Forgery

Warning: custom powers may be badly written.

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2012, 12:31:45 AM »
I was thinking, for the 5 elements: Earth - strength (ala Calderon), Water - either aquatic or speed, Air - flying, maybe speed as well/instead, Fire - duh, fire like Harry's fire spells, and the last either Spirit - dealing with ghosts or mental magics or Magic - granting them wizard class power.

DV SoullessMystic5523 V1.2 YR7 FR5 BK++ RP+++ JB++ TH++ WG CL++ SW+ BC+ MC---- SH[Murphy++, Molly+]

Offline computerking

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
    • Into the Dark
« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2012, 04:12:52 PM »
This all looks really cool & interesting. Perhaps some sort of custom Charge power for the Earth element would be appropriate. A Rolling stone gathers no moss and all...

I'll keep reading this thread as long as noone suggests them all combining their powers to summon something.
I'm the ComputerKing, I can Do Anything...
Into the Dark, A Podcast dedicated to Villainy
www.savethevillain.com

PS: %^#@ Orbius. This may or may not be relevant to the discussion, but whatever.

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2012, 12:31:13 AM »
If anyone feels the desire, feel free to stat something up. I always have the hardest time getting IoPs started.

Offline ways and means

• Posty McPostington
  • What Lies in the Truth, what truth in the Lies.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2012, 01:38:59 AM »
This one is kind of for the lols

Gaia Gears Belt [-4]
It is what it is: A belt made of stone carved gears said to represent each of the tectonic plates. +1

Stone Skin Form [-1] Like beast change but instead changes you into a man/women of granite.
Human Form [+1] Affecting
Fists of Stone [-1] (Aka Claws)
Inhuman Strength [-2]
Supernatural Toughness [-4]
[+1] Extraterrestrial things (such as bits of comet, asteroids etc ) +1 for rare availability + 0 for knowledge 

« Last Edit: March 16, 2012, 01:45:19 AM by ways and means »
Every night has its day.
Even forever must come to an end....
I think.

Offline Zenjoriki

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 16, 2012, 02:04:44 AM »
Looks to me like you would be using:
   -2: Itemof Power (+2): It is what it is Armor:1-2
           * (-2) Channeling: (Elemental Focus) Better than breath weapon. Same cost for
                     a much more versitile power (2 free foci slots probably should be used in
                     item)
           * (-1) Inhuman toughness & Inhuman Recovery w/ +3 catch
           * (-1) Echos of The Beast (your Element) +1 to perception rolls with the
                    Element, One trapping that reflects the element (Conviction w might
                    trappings for earth for instance); empathy w Spiritual Beings of your
                    element.

Here's a concept that might be cool for the earth character: Stat as above but his form of earth channeling in "Allowmancy" from the mistborn series from Brandon Sanderson (if you havn't read it you are missing out); you could make all the characters Focused practitioners with ancient arts thus giving them promenance in game (and maybe offset the power ranger thing :) )

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 21, 2012, 12:25:51 AM »
A thought I had, since IoPs are unbreakable, and these are wearable, wouldn't they have a really high armor stat?

Offline Arcane

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 21, 2012, 03:17:52 AM »
Not necessarily.  Just because they don't break doesn't mean they won't transmit the force of impact through them.
You Might Know Me As:

Charlie Wiseman

Jeffrey Campbell

Offline Sanctaphrax

• White Council
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 21, 2012, 04:31:19 AM »
Besides, game balance is more important than accurate simulation of implausible magic-physics.

Offline computerking

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
    • Into the Dark
« Reply #12 on: March 21, 2012, 04:36:18 PM »
Perhaps the PC's find the Items in a large crater, each one semi-buried in a pile of ash?
www.savethevillain.com

PS: %^#@ Orbius. This may or may not be relevant to the discussion, but whatever.

Offline Praxidicae

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 21, 2012, 06:00:32 PM »
Perhaps the PC's find the Items in a large crater, each one semi-buried in a pile of ash?
Or how about they find them in a crater, one next to/attached to a pillar of salt/rock, one laying in a pool of muddy water, another as you said in a pile of ashes and the last...errr falls out of the sky onto them?

Items that implacably convert their user into an elemental being of the relevant force.

Offline computerking

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
    • Into the Dark
« Reply #14 on: March 21, 2012, 07:01:04 PM »
Or how about they find them in a crater, one next to/attached to a pillar of salt/rock, one laying in a pool of muddy water, another as you said in a pile of ashes and the last...errr falls out of the sky onto them?

Items that implacably convert their user into an elemental being of the relevant force.

That's good, too. I was just making an allusion to the indestructible nature of the items, and the lengths that might have been gone to to dispose of the previous owners...
www.savethevillain.com