Author Topic: Could someone explain glamour to me  (Read 2051 times)

Offline yrtalien

• Participant
    • View Profile
Could someone explain glamour to me
« on: March 11, 2012, 12:38:27 AM »
I have a player who is taking the Glamour power and reading through it I noticed they don't really explain how it works.  Does it work like Evocation? Does it cost stress?

The way I imagine it works is I want to make my friend invisible, I pull shadow over him and and roll my deceit (3) vs their alertness or investigation (put both at 3) we roll.  My player rolls and gets +2, the defending guard rolls and gets +0.  The group man moves past the guard unmolested.  this costs no stress and lasts only that exchange.... am I right.

Now if I want to veil my group of 3 friends do I use the evocation rules and and divide up shifts between them? 

What if i wanted it to last longer than an exchange?

Could someone explain and give me a good example?

Thank you
« Last Edit: March 11, 2012, 12:40:55 AM by yrtalien »

Offline Haru

• Posty McPostington
  • Mentally unstable like a fox.
    • View Profile
Re: Could someone explain glamour to me
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2012, 01:02:26 AM »
It basically allows you to do the hiding/skulking trapping from stealth with deceit and in situations that would normally not allow for it. If you do it for a group, that group has to stay together as close as possible while under the veil, if someone gets too far away, they become visible again. The person you are veiling does not have to resist the spell, unless they do not want to be veiled, of course. Anyone trying to perceive the veiled person rolls against the deceit roll you made when veiling the target. You are right about the casting stress, but veils usually last for one scene.

You example is pretty much on the target. You roll deceit and get +3, which will be the target roll for anyone that is trying to perceive the target. The guard rolls +0 and can not perceive your veiled friend, but maybe there's a dog next to him and he rolls +4. The dog can see (or smell) you, while the guard is looking around, puzzled as to what has the dog on edge.
“Do you not know that a man is not dead while his name is still spoken?”
― Terry Pratchett, Going Postal

Offline UmbraLux

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2012, 02:37:18 AM »
I have a player who is taking the Glamour power and reading through it I noticed they don't really explain how it works.  Does it work like Evocation? Does it cost stress?
It doesn't cost stress, just an action.  Mechanically, it's a block - usually against perception.  In other words illusions, stealth, and other visual / perceptual deception.  The Greater Glamours version allows for creation of an object or creature out of ectoplasm - making it 'real' for most purposes.

You don't need to split shifts or spend shifts on an area for very small areas  (small car size).  I would allow the option of spending shifts for larger areas or multiple groups and extended duration.  That's neither explicitly permitted or denied in the text but allowing it makes sense. 

Could someone explain and give me a good example?
I'll take a stab at one...

Johan the Changling needs to hide himself and his friends from searching police who would certainly misunderstand why they're all covered in blood.  He tells his friends to huddle close and weaves an illusion of a thorn filled hedge.  He concentrates on holding the image while the police search the area.  Mechanically, he's using Deceit to create a block against perception.  (Probably Investigation since the police are searching the area.)  As long as his Deceit roll is higher than the cops' Investigation roll, all the police will see is a thorny hedge.  If one of the cops beats his roll, that cop becomes aware that something is wrong in that area...
--
“As our circle of knowledge expands, so does the circumference of darkness surrounding it.”  - Albert Einstein

"Rudeness is a weak imitation of strength."  - Eric Hoffer

Offline Harboe

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2012, 12:27:41 AM »
You are right about the casting stress
Can I get a quote to back this statement? I have seen nothing to like this and actually believed that was why you wouldn't just take Evocation and focus on veils for the same effect.

Offline InFerrumVeritas

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2012, 02:11:30 AM »
No stress.

Offline Haru

• Posty McPostington
  • Mentally unstable like a fox.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2012, 02:26:55 AM »
Like I said, the power is pretty much a supernatural stunt and works as such. There is no stress, because the power doesn't say that there should be stress. It is not spellcasting, it is (usually) an inherent power.
“Do you not know that a man is not dead while his name is still spoken?”
― Terry Pratchett, Going Postal

Offline sinker

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2012, 04:43:25 AM »
Yeah, it's in the glamors power itself. The power states that you can prevent something (which is mechanically a block) and you use your discipline or deceit to do so. It makes no comparison to evocation other than the mention of the word Veil.

Offline devonapple

• Posty McPostington
  • Parkour to YOU!
    • View Profile
    • LiveJournal Account
« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2012, 10:15:09 PM »
What are some other uses to which people have put their PCs'/NPCs' glamours power?
"Like a voice, like a crack, like a whispering shriek
That echoes on like it’s carpet-bombing feverish white jungles of thought
That I’m positive are not even mine"

Blackout, The Darkest of the Hillside Thickets

Offline computerking

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
    • Into the Dark
« Reply #8 on: March 13, 2012, 01:51:05 PM »
What are some other uses to which people have put their PCs'/NPCs' glamours power?
8' - 12' Trolls looking like Normal Height Public Works Surveyors (While trying to scout out a Troll Changeling of an opposing court on "their turf")

If you want to go from the books,
(click to show/hide)
I'm the ComputerKing, I can Do Anything...
Into the Dark, A Podcast dedicated to Villainy
www.savethevillain.com

PS: %^#@ Orbius. This may or may not be relevant to the discussion, but whatever.

Offline Anher

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 13, 2012, 03:25:23 PM »
I've used it for light before by creating an illusory will'o'wisp. It's a bit out there, but conceivably doable (so long as it passed the table).

Offline InFerrumVeritas

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 14, 2012, 02:29:26 AM »

My favorite?  Taking leaves and monopoly money and turning them into currency (or at least making them appear as such).  So useful.

Unlimited wardrobe changes and disguises.

"Psychic paper."