Author Topic: How to become an alpha reader?  (Read 2039 times)

Offline sirdulac

• Lurker
    • View Profile
How to become an alpha reader?
« on: March 08, 2012, 02:33:00 AM »
Ever since I read in about alpha readers in the foreword to a Brandon Sanderson novel, I've been searching all over the internet trying to figure out how to become one.

I already review books and ARCs when I have the chance, but I can't find any mention of alpha readership anywhere.

Does anyone know how to become one?

Thanks!

Offline Shecky

• Bartender
  • O. M. G.
  • Feh.
    • View Profile
Re: How to become an alpha reader?
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2012, 02:53:00 AM »
Get to know the author or one of his/her alpha/beta readers. See if there's simpatico-ness.
Official forum rules and precepts; please read: http://www.jimbutcheronline.com/bb/index.php/topic,23096.0.html

Quote from: Stanton Infeld
Well, if you couldn't do that with your bulls***, Leonard, I suspect the lad's impervious.

Offline Serack

• Special Collections Division
  • Posty McPostington
  • WoJ Rock Star!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2012, 02:56:29 AM »
Ever since I read in about alpha readers in the foreword to a Brandon Sanderson novel, I've been searching all over the internet trying to figure out how to become one.

I already review books and ARCs when I have the chance, but I can't find any mention of alpha readership anywhere.

Does anyone know how to become one?

Thanks!

Hello new forum member.

Alpha and Beta readers are rather new publishing terms borrowed from the software/gaming industry.

In the gaming industry, an alpha tester is basically someone in house that tests the game for bugs by playing the game. 

A beta tester is typically someone outside of house that "beta tests" a more polished form of the game shortly before it is released in an attempt to iron out any last bugs, and to test the workability of the game mechanics.

Weather or not to use "Alpha" and "Beta" readers is a personal decision of the author, the author typically personally picks them out.  I believe Jim just has "Beta" readers, but apparently Brandon Sanderson has decided to have two tiers of pre readers to help iron out any deficiencies...

Either way, Alpha and Beta reading is something that requires a huge level of trust on the part of the author.  I believe Jim only has around 15 Beta readers, and is not looking for any new ones.  I have also heard that one criterion is that he and his wife meet each and every one before they can be seriously considered, and I've also heard rumors that Shannon instills a certain level of fear into them with respect to any breach of trust...

I suppose that if you truly wish to Alpha/Beta read, you could get involved in some aspiring writer communities and make friends with unpublished authors and such and maybe if you build up the proper rapport you might get the chance.
« Last Edit: March 08, 2012, 03:00:06 AM by Serack »
DF WoJ Compilation
Green is my curator voice.
Name dropping "Serack" in a post /will/ draw my attention to it

*gnaws on the collar of his special issue Beta Foo long-sleeved jacket*

Offline Blaze

• Cloak maker to Wizards.
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2012, 03:15:10 AM »
Why don't you post your interest in the Author's Craft section?  You may find some people there who are in need of readers. 

Of course if you are just looking to find a famous author to be a test reader for... you should go to cons and enter into detailed and helpful correspondence with some and hope for the best. 

Beta reading and editing isn't glamorous, it is sometimes grueling, and there is never any guaranty that the people you help will actually get published.  Still, it can be a real joy!
Chi pò, non vò; chi vò, non pò; chi sà, non fà; chi fà, non sà; e così, male il mondo va.

cenwolfgirl

« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2012, 05:54:15 PM »
i am not shore if its still there but a few weeks ago i was looking for bata readers
i am curently unpublished but am working on it
ofcours i only gave my curnt group the first page just to see what they thought
but it dose happen
i have a bout five or six people who are curently waiting on my alpha reader (trusted non fourem freind who checks spellings and other things first) to finish with the book and for me too make final changes bassed on what has een said by them all
it could happen but most arthers will be protective of what they right and wont shear till they are ready

Offline Serack

• Special Collections Division
  • Posty McPostington
  • WoJ Rock Star!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2012, 11:34:59 AM »
revisiting this topic because I found a pertinant article, and because I know if I want to find the article again later, it will be easy to do here.

One of Jim's beta readers, Teresa Bane, (I actually met with her and spoke with her at length at Marscon in 2011) gave an interview to darkcargo.com about her beta reading experiences.

http://darkcargo.com/2011/12/02/beta-reading-teresa-bane-interview-pt-3-of-3/
DF WoJ Compilation
Green is my curator voice.
Name dropping "Serack" in a post /will/ draw my attention to it

*gnaws on the collar of his special issue Beta Foo long-sleeved jacket*