Author Topic: My New Spell. Please evaluate.  (Read 1596 times)

Offline JediDresden

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
My New Spell. Please evaluate.
« on: March 02, 2012, 05:25:29 PM »
I want to make a 'come here' air evocation rote spell.  I think I borrowed most of this spell and format from the forum here somewhere, so if it looks familiar I apologize. 

My wizard has a Conviction ans Lore of 5 and Discipline of 4, and no specializations or focus items using air yet.

Here is what I have so far:

'Come Here' or 'Oh no you are not running away from me!
Type: Air Evocation, Attack (Air)
Shifts: 6, 6 power
Duration:  1 Exchange
Control:  Discipline
Target: 1 or more people/objects, Enemy or Friendly
Opposed by: Target’s Athletics, Magical Blocks or Determined in play
Effect: Waves of Air apply force to move the target in the direction of the casters choosing.

I guess they would have to beat evocation or move in the direction I choose, right?  I'm not sure I am doing it right.

Offline Vargo Teras

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
Re: My New Spell. Please evaluate.
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2012, 05:35:29 PM »
I think I'd phrase it as a maneuver, rather than an attack, creating an aspect which will be invoked for effect instead of tagged for a bonus.  Attacks should generate stress; this doesn't seem to be the goal.

Offline JediDresden

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2012, 05:54:04 PM »
Good Point.  So an maneuver powered at 6 shifts instead of a normal 3 shift one just makes it harder to overcome it, right?  Or I could put some into making it sticky, or multiple free tags?  But wait if it is just for evoke for effect then none of that matters - I just get to say what happens, correct?  Would they still have to roll to not have it effect them if it is Evoked for effect?  I am not clear on the Evoke For Effect Thing.

Offline Mr. Death

• Posty McPostington
  • Not all those who wander are lost
    • View Profile
    • The C-Team Podcast
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2012, 06:15:32 PM »
You don't get multiple free tags on a maneuver. Yes, they still roll to defend if you invoke for effect; the Maneuver has to succeed on them before you can tag or invoke it.
Compels solve everything!

http://blur.by/1KgqJg6 My first book: "Brothers of the Curled Isles"

Quote from: Cozarkian
Not every word JB rights is a conspiracy. Sometimes, he's just telling a story.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC_T_mld7Acnm-0FVUiaKDPA The C-Team Podcast

Offline JediDresden

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2012, 06:21:58 PM »
Ok, so it is not a waste to have a 6 shift in power for the maneuver then.  Got it!  Thanks.

Offline JediDresden

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2012, 10:09:18 PM »
Thanks for the links, has anyone used the alt. rules and if so how do they work?  I really want something that will move an individual, I do not care if it is a grapple or not, how would you all do it?

Offline Haru

• Posty McPostington
  • Mentally unstable like a fox.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2012, 02:55:22 AM »
I knew I had this somewhere:
http://www.rickneal.ca/?p=642

I think this is a great way to model this. Makes it not too powerful, but still gets the job done.

On a side note: would you allow a zone wide version of this spell? Would need to be at least 6 shifts (3 for maneuver, 2 for zone wide, 1+ for effect), but then you could kick a whole group of mooks away.
“Do you not know that a man is not dead while his name is still spoken?”
― Terry Pratchett, Going Postal

Offline UmbraLux

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 03, 2012, 04:05:35 AM »
I really want something that will move an individual, I do not care if it is a grapple or not, how would you all do it?
I'd either call it a modified block (for simplicity) or a combination of block and maneuver (which normally means two spells for evocation).  Modelling it after the grapple rules would be the two spell version - block then move.  Moving objects is far easier - they only resist through inertia.

It might be something like this:
  • Type:  Air evocation, offensive block (or maneuver for inanimate objects)
  • Power:  7 shifts
  • Control:  Discipline roll plus appropriate specialties and foci (and aspects as needed)
  • Duration:  2 exchanges
  • Opposed by:  Target's movement skill (most likely Athletics)
  • Effect:  6 shift block plus 1 shift of duration, the target is moved one zone closer to the caster for each 3 shifts by which the spell beats the target's opposing roll
  • Variations:  each 3 shifts of power could be a maneuver tagged to move an item closer to the caster
  • Notes:  With 5 Conviction and 4 Discipline, you'll need an aspect and some extra stress to pull this off.  You could drop the power to 4 and hope the opposing roll nets less than 0 or 1 if you don't spend a shift on duration.  That's a bit less likely to work.
You could also run it purely as a maneuver compelled for the effect of moving the target.  That works out close to the same...but doesn't stop (block) them from running away on their action.
--
“As our circle of knowledge expands, so does the circumference of darkness surrounding it.”  - Albert Einstein

"Rudeness is a weak imitation of strength."  - Eric Hoffer