Author Topic: Homebrew Beastiary  (Read 1080 times)

Offline computerking

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
    • Into the Dark
Homebrew Beastiary
« on: February 28, 2012, 07:56:48 PM »
I notice there's not a specific thread (that Search could find for me) for creatures that don't exist in any Mythology, ie. that people made up on their own. If there is, Sorry. But if not, Here's one for people to show off their homemade critters. I'll start it off next post.
I'm the ComputerKing, I can Do Anything...
Into the Dark, A Podcast dedicated to Villainy
www.savethevillain.com

PS: %^#@ Orbius. This may or may not be relevant to the discussion, but whatever.

Offline Mr. Death

• Posty McPostington
  • Not all those who wander are lost
    • View Profile
    • The C-Team Podcast
Re: Homebrew Beastiary
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2012, 08:01:52 PM »
There're a couple threads in the Resource Collection you should take a look at first, particularly various more-obscure mythical creatures and Lions and Tigers and Bears, Oh My!: A Dresdenverse Bestiary. They might have covered some of this territory.
Compels solve everything!

http://blur.by/1KgqJg6 My first book: "Brothers of the Curled Isles"

Quote from: Cozarkian
Not every word JB rights is a conspiracy. Sometimes, he's just telling a story.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC_T_mld7Acnm-0FVUiaKDPA The C-Team Podcast

Offline computerking

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
    • Into the Dark
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2012, 08:04:57 PM »
Spiderkin

A humanoid race of sapient creatures, living mostly feral in caves and tunnels, the spiderkin rarely venture off on their own, preferring to live in the safety of their Homes with their extremely large families. They are hemovores rarely if ever seen outside of the Nevernever, and usually feed on animals, but aren’t too shy to feed on human blood, or other spiderkin if need be. Their bite transfers a bit of their poison, which has an effect that blocks the creation of long-term memories of the feeding event, so creatures/people that are fed upon don’t leave the area, and remain viable food sources.
Spiderkin don’t tend to be aggressive without backup, but usually travel with a dozen or 3 of their siblings, or sometimes in larger groups, when seeking a new, larger cave to inhabit. They have a hierarchy based on the order they were born/climbed out of their mother’s egg sack, but often have squabbles between siblings born close to each other. A smart explorer might be able to provoke an argument between a spiderkin leader and their next in line, and slip away during the argument/fight.
The spiderkin have a rudimentary camouflage ability that hides their spindly, spider-like bodies with a guise that is usually shared among siblings. So if you see a group of 30 nearly identical waifs walking through the mall, get away quickly.
High Concept: Spiderkin Broodmember
Trouble: Hungry for blood
Other Aspects: Family is my strength; Family might eat me; Fast as the wind; Let’s bite it and see how it tastes; Don’t worry, you won’t remember this.

Skills: 
  • [5]: Stealth
  • [4]: Fists, Athletics, Alertness
  • [3]: Endurance, Contacts, Intimidation
  • [2]: Survival, Presence, Discipline
  • [1]: Lore, Conviction, Craftsmanship
Powers:
    [-4] Supernatural Speed
    [-1] Claws
    [-1] Blood Drinker
    [-1] Pack Instincts
    [-1] Echoes of the Beast (Spiders)
    [-1] Spider Walk
    [-0] Human Guise

---------------

I needed a red herring that looked like a vampire attack, and this is what I wound up with. Imagine the players' surprise when they track a possible vampire, and wind up surrounded with 20 or so identical people/beings, some hanging from walls & ceilings,
www.savethevillain.com

PS: %^#@ Orbius. This may or may not be relevant to the discussion, but whatever.

Offline Sanctaphrax

• White Council
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2012, 08:06:34 PM »
The NPC threads on this board are an incomprehensible muddle with many blind spots.

So yeah, we don't really have anywhere for random monsters.

I normally use the Generic NPC thread for them, because it's basically close enough.

Offline computerking

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
    • Into the Dark
« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2012, 08:08:04 PM »
There're a couple threads in the Resource Collection you should take a look at first, particularly various more-obscure mythical creatures and Lions and Tigers and Bears, Oh My!: A Dresdenverse Bestiary. They might have covered some of this territory.
I know those, but, strictly speaking, one is supposed to be for creating analogues of real animals, and the other is supposed to be for creatures from actual mythologies. Although there are outliers in one or maybe both of those, There probably should have been a third option, for creatures that spring fully formed from the heads of their creators, and nowhere else...
www.savethevillain.com