Author Topic: Sponsored Magic Master List  (Read 84162 times)

Offline Hick Jr

• Posty McPostington
  • Actually just a jar full of bees attached to a CPU
    • View Profile
Re: Sponsored Magic Master List
« Reply #300 on: April 13, 2014, 10:01:57 PM »
I think it would use your control bonus for pretty much any magic that broke a Law. Which is probably too broad. Maybe I should actually define "Blackstaff" as a thematic thaumaturgy specialization.
Hi! My home is called an apiary! I collect honey, and defend the Queen!

Not-so-secretly a power hungry megalomaniac with a Modular Abilities addiction.

Offline vultur

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #301 on: April 14, 2014, 12:12:35 AM »
I'd make the Blackstaff Magic a [-2] that required you to already have Evocation and Thaumaturgy.

My take on Blackstaff Sponsored Magic...

Blackstaff Magic [-2]
Musts: Blackstaff Sponsored Magic requires you to already possess Evocation and Thaumaturgy, thus there is no cost rebate for already having these powers.
Sponsor: The Blackstaff, an item of immense power. This power is thought to be ultimately derived from Winter, but it remains distinct from Unseelie Magic.
Agenda: Death, destruction, corruption/transformation, decay, disruption.
Evocation: Blackstaff Magic aids with evocations that break the Laws of Magic, generally in destructive ways.
Thaumaturgy: Blackstaff Magic aids with thaumaturgy that breaks the Laws of Magic, generally in destructive ways.
Evothaum: Blackstaff Magic allows entropomancy and rituals intended to kill mortals to be cast as evothaum.
Extra Benefits: Blackstaff Magic adds a +1 control and power/complexity bonus to any magic intended to kill a mortal. Furthermore, you can take 1 physical stress to increase these bonuses to +2 for one spell.

The reasons I set it up this way:
(click to show/hide)

EDIT: incomplete sentence, bolding, evothaum
« Last Edit: April 14, 2014, 12:15:21 AM by vultur »

Offline Blk4ce

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #302 on: April 14, 2014, 09:39:29 AM »
(I like the +1 control, so I will stea incorporate it in my own also)
Nice touch with the stress. However, the sole focus on the killing implies that the blackstaff can only disobey the first law, so I still support a thematic lawbreaking/blackstaff magic.

There's a (or many) blackstaff Iop's on this board ...  somewhere.
Since the search function failed to deliver, could you provide some examples please?
« Last Edit: April 14, 2014, 10:04:39 AM by Blk4ce »

Offline Taran

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
    • Chip
« Reply #303 on: April 14, 2014, 05:35:53 PM »
Since the search function failed to deliver, could you provide some examples please?
The search is tricky...there may be more...

http://www.jimbutcheronline.com/bb/index.php/topic,37129.msg1800186.html#msg1800186

http://www.jimbutcheronline.com/bb/index.php/topic,22594.msg973923.html#msg973923

http://www.jimbutcheronline.com/bb/index.php/topic,38915.msg1913295.html#msg1913295

http://www.jimbutcheronline.com/bb/index.php/topic,25799.msg1098295.html#msg1098295

Edit:
-The very strong implication the Blackstaff is Mother Winter's walking stick, and Mother Winter's association with death, destruction, entropy
-Jim's suggesting that the Blackstaff is specifically for killing, perhaps more so than other Law-breaking (the WoJ about 'does the Blackstaff have any powers related to the dead', the response was 'other than making people dead? that's kind of the point')
-The Physical Stress bit is based on the 'tendrils' feeding on Eb after he did the big killing spell in Changes

Makes me think that the blackstaff only kills.  That it doesn't give any advantage for any other Laws.
« Last Edit: April 14, 2014, 05:56:27 PM by Taran »

Offline Locnil

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #304 on: June 03, 2014, 11:33:05 AM »
Here's something I created for Belial666's game. Would appreciate a critique on this, if anyone's willing to give it. Also, inspiration was taken from several other homebrew powers I've seen around here.

[-5] Hunger Magic (Sponsored Magic)
This is the power that a White Court Vampire's Hunger allows him to access. It will  subsume what talent the vampire might have had entirely into it's own essence.
Themes: Minds, Emotions, Life, Control. Hunger Magic deals with all these, and related spheres of influence, as befits its nature.
The Hunger Feeds On All: Reduce any Toughness power a target has by one step.
Power From A Demonic Pact: When casting a spell that is not a rote, the vampire takes a -1 penalty to control, power, and complexity, due to using his power in ways not previously agreed upon with his Hunger.

See below.
reviously agreed upon with his Hunger.
« Last Edit: June 04, 2014, 02:18:57 AM by Locnil »

Offline Sanctaphrax

• White Council
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #305 on: June 03, 2014, 08:45:36 PM »
Seems weak. The extra benefit is strong, but the drawback is painful and it has no evothaum. Plus it costs extra.

Make it better or cheaper, I say.

Offline Locnil

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #306 on: June 04, 2014, 02:16:59 AM »
Seems weak. The extra benefit is strong, but the drawback is painful and it has no evothaum. Plus it costs extra.

Make it better or cheaper, I say.

Now that you mention it, it does suck compared to Soulfire. Hmm. Usually my custom powers are called out as overpowered.

Offline Locnil

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #307 on: June 04, 2014, 02:18:10 AM »

[-5] Hunger Magic(Sponsored Magic)
This is the power that a White Court Vampire's Hunger allows him to access. It will  subsume what talent the vampire might have had entirely into it's own essence.
Themes: Minds, Emotions, Life, Control. Hunger Magic deals with all these, and related spheres of influence, as befits its nature. In addition, when casting rituals related to these themes, you may cast them with the speed and method of evocation.
The Hunger Feeds On All: Reduce any Toughness power a target has by one step.
Power From A Demonic Pact: When casting a spell that is not a rote, the vampire takes a -1 penalty to control, power, and complexity, due to using his power in ways not previously agreed upon with his Hunger. In addition, the GM may use this as justification for a compel to prevent the caster from doing something that the Hunger might take issue with.
Fuelled By Hunger: This Power is ultimately powered by the Hunger within a vampire. In times of need, it can be persuaded to even further exert itself, though it will require a correspondingly greater amount of "food" afterwards. When invoking an Aspect for the purpose of spellcasting, you may take a two-point stress hit to your hunger stress track instead of spending a fate point.

Turns out, there's already a Power called Hunger Magic on the customer powers list. Seems a bit overpowered though, so I tuned it down.

See below.
« Last Edit: June 04, 2014, 02:25:06 AM by Locnil »

Offline Sanctaphrax

• White Council
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #308 on: June 05, 2014, 01:52:16 AM »
Two clarifications: does The Hunger Feeds On All reduce Recovery? And can you take multiple stress hits to boost a single spell repeatedly?

Assuming you use the interpretation of Feeding Dependency where you don't lose Powers every time you take stress, and that it reduces Recovery but only allows one boost per spell, that's probably decently balanced. Feels kinda bad to pay extra and get a significant drawback, but it's got two extra benefits and one of them is pretty big.

Offline Locnil

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #309 on: June 05, 2014, 04:38:19 AM »
No (it works exactly like Soulfire in this regard), and no (That was the part I toned down; the original Hunger Magic did allow you to.) Maybe I should work on it a little more.

Offline idirex

• Conversationalist
  • "Wake Up Sheeple" xkcd
    • View Profile
« Reply #310 on: June 08, 2014, 10:04:23 PM »
 ;D Hi . Thank you for all your hard work and collective efforts . Love it
(click to show/hide)

« Last Edit: June 29, 2014, 09:54:56 PM by idirex »

Offline Sanctaphrax

• White Council
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #311 on: June 09, 2014, 01:54:20 AM »
I'm not quite sure I understand what you're going for here. It looks like you're departing from the standard mechanics in quite a few places and I'm not sure why. Moreover, I'm not sure exactly how the altered rules are supposed to work.

For example: you say you must take a mild consequence for every ritual, but it's not clear whether that consequence counts for complexity or not. And you say that you can increase complexity by taking consequences, but that's standard...so are you try to say that you can't increase complexity through Declarations?

There are other similar areas of confusion that I'm glossing over here. If I were you I'd probably use less interesting and more standardized mechanics for most of this, just to make things easier to understand.

Offline idirex

• Conversationalist
  • "Wake Up Sheeple" xkcd
    • View Profile
« Reply #312 on: June 09, 2014, 02:03:21 PM »
...I'm not sure exactly how the altered rules are supposed to work.

For example: you say you must take a mild consequence for every ritual, but it's not clear whether that consequence counts for complexity or not...so are you try to say that you can't increase complexity through Declarations?
I edited your original comment a bit...

(click to show/hide)

I eagerly await further questions and ideas . :)

« Last Edit: June 29, 2014, 09:56:04 PM by idirex »

Offline Sanctaphrax

• White Council
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #313 on: June 09, 2014, 08:30:45 PM »
Why does this power need all of these anti-abuse mechanisms? Do you feel that standard spellcasting is broken?

Offline idirex

• Conversationalist
  • "Wake Up Sheeple" xkcd
    • View Profile
« Reply #314 on: June 10, 2014, 11:58:45 AM »
In our game , players found ways to distort and abuse the official rules... You are right to be skeptic since i started with the wrong assumption that others would intuitively understand / implement our home brew rules . My mistake  :-[
I started from scratch and edited another "standard" sponsored magic template . I used these references for the cost : evocation , thaumaturgy , "alternate magical paradigm" stunt , emissary of power , activation cost discount , limited power discount . You can change it if it seems inadequate .

(click to show/hide)

« Last Edit: June 29, 2014, 09:56:40 PM by idirex »