Author Topic: Sponsored Magic Master List  (Read 84547 times)

Offline Cadd

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
Re: Sponsored Magic Master List
« Reply #285 on: April 09, 2014, 07:38:47 PM »
I doesn't really matter that they're consumables if you have enough of them ;) She seems to always have a rune ready for the right effect, but they are clearly one-use* every time we see her do anything in the source material.

*At least flavor-wise - see the ax.

Offline Mr. Death

• Posty McPostington
  • Not all those who wander are lost
    • View Profile
    • The C-Team Podcast
« Reply #286 on: April 09, 2014, 07:42:00 PM »
I get that, but I find it hard to accept that an experienced fighter like Gard would rely that much on consumables. Maybe I'll make a character in a game to test it in real conditions and see it with my own eyes.
You rely on consumables when those consumables are more powerful than you can get in a renewable source.

In a broader sense, you really should accept it, otherwise I imagine you have a hard time accepting that an experienced fighter like Murphy would rely that much on bullets. Or that an experienced wizard like the Merlin would bother putting potions in his combat belt.

Look at it this way: To create a renewable enchanted item takes weeks of effort, for a base power only of your Lore score, with a power boost at a rate of 1:1, shifts for enchanted item slots.

A rune created this way, however, can be made more quickly (hours instead of weeks), at more power (if you're feeling lucky, a rate of your Discipline score for each enchanted item slot).

Harry's ring, for instance--two enchanted slots for a Weapon:4 effect, usable once before it's recharged. A runic item, you could cram 6-shifts into the first round with relative impunity (you're all but guaranteed a mild consequence, but those can be shrugged off in a scene), then continue to add on. Those same two enchanted slots could end up holding an 8 or 10-shift spell effect.
Compels solve everything!

http://blur.by/1KgqJg6 My first book: "Brothers of the Curled Isles"

Quote from: Cozarkian
Not every word JB rights is a conspiracy. Sometimes, he's just telling a story.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC_T_mld7Acnm-0FVUiaKDPA The C-Team Podcast

Offline Blk4ce

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #287 on: April 09, 2014, 07:50:12 PM »
(Even though bullets aren't the same, being more numerous and easier to acquire) Yeah, I get what you're saying.

Offline vultur

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #288 on: April 10, 2014, 05:23:34 AM »
The "three weeks of being knocked out" bit does seem kind of extreme, though. That was a panic button, though.

Plus, Gard may not have the full toolkit that somebody like Harry has access to. We've never seen her demonstrate anything like evocation - Harry might well have been able to defeat Mag's shield just by throwing more power at it, but Gard didn't have that option.

Offline Blk4ce

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #289 on: April 11, 2014, 08:13:12 AM »
Any Neil Gaiman fans on this board?

Trickster's Gift [-4]
Description: Anansi in Africa, Prometheus in Greece, Coyote in America, Loki in Norse myth, the Trickster god has been around since the Time before Time, in some incarnation or other. He embodies the human ingenuity, breaking the rules and deviating from conventional behaviour.
Sponsor: The Trickster God
Agenda: The good of mankind (ultimately, in a roundabout way), doing tricks and pranks, bending the rules, undermining persons of authority (especially bad ones like dictators), tormenting Tiger and his agents, spreading stories and knowledge, McGuyvering.
Evocation: Trickster evocations take the form of the spirit element. Force effects are applicable, but tricksters are especially attuned to the mystic/mental part of the element.
Thaumaturgy: Trickster rituals can be used to manipulate and deceive people, turn their words/stories/songs into reality, shapeshifting, situation-inverting, McGuyvering. It's open season for Tigers.
Evothaum: Trickster rituals can be used with the speed and methods of Evocation.
Extra Benefits: Tricksters gain +1 Power/Complexity and +1 Control to spells that undermine opponents (most commonly maneuvers and blocks, although creative attacks may gain the favour of Anansi). Also, the bearer of the Trickster's Gift can speak to intelligent animals, like spiders, foxes and ravens.

It's my first custom power write-up, so be gentle.
« Last Edit: April 14, 2014, 10:02:29 AM by Blk4ce »

Offline Hick Jr

• Posty McPostington
  • Actually just a jar full of bees attached to a CPU
    • View Profile
« Reply #290 on: April 13, 2014, 06:24:21 AM »
Trickster's Gift looks good. I'm a gigantic Neil Gaiman fan. I wrote a writeup of the Mad Hatter that was basically Dream of the Endless.

Anyway, because it's been too long, this.

BLACKSTAFF MAGIC [-4]
DESCRIPTION:You wield the power of a Blackstaff, a name for both the a power magical foci of Lawbreaking magic, and the wizards who wield it's power.
SPONSOR:The Blackstaff itself.
AGENDA:To break the Laws of Magic- namely to kill, to transform, to invade the thoughts of others, to enthrall, to use necromancy, to swim against the flow of time, and to look Outside the Outer Gates.
EVOCATION:Any evocation that breaks one of the Seven Laws.
THAUMATURGY:Any ritual that breaks one of the Seven Laws.
EVOTHAUM:Any ritual that breaks one of the Laws can be used at evocation's speed and methods.
EXTRA BENEFITS:Possessing this power makes you immune to the negative effects of Lawbreaking, and thus you never have to take the Lawbreaker stunt. You can replace your control bonus for evocation with your control bonus for any Lawbreaking spell. If you spend a Fate Point, you can choose one Law and gain a +2 bonus to complexity/power and control for any spell that involves the breaking of that Law for one scene.
Hi! My home is called an apiary! I collect honey, and defend the Queen!

Not-so-secretly a power hungry megalomaniac with a Modular Abilities addiction.

Offline Blk4ce

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #291 on: April 13, 2014, 12:09:51 PM »
Trickster's Gift looks good. I'm a gigantic Neil Gaiman fan. I wrote a writeup of the Mad Hatter that was basically Dream of the Endless.
I'd like to see it. I've been meaning to read The Sandman for quite some time.

BLACKSTAFF MAGIC [-4]
DESCRIPTION:You wield the power of a Blackstaff, a name for both the a power magical foci of Lawbreaking magic, and the wizards who wield it's power.
SPONSOR:The Blackstaff itself.
AGENDA:To break the Laws of Magic- namely to kill, to transform, to invade the thoughts of others, to enthrall, to use necromancy, to swim against the flow of time, and to look Outside the Outer Gates.
EVOCATION:Any evocation that breaks one of the Seven Laws.
THAUMATURGY:Any ritual that breaks one of the Seven Laws.
EVOTHAUM:Any ritual that breaks one of the Laws can be used at evocation's speed and methods.
EXTRA BENEFITS:Possessing this power makes you immune to the negative effects of Lawbreaking, and thus you never have to take the Lawbreaker stunt. You can replace your control bonus for evocation with your control bonus for any Lawbreaking spell. If you spend a Fate Point, you can choose one Law and gain a +2 bonus to complexity/power and control for any spell that involves the breaking of that Law for one scene.
Personally, I'm not too fond of powers/stunts that require you to spend FP. Does the bonus lasts for the whole of the scene? If not, you can do the same with a scene aspect. Since it's already based on necromancy, you could go all the way and just give a refinement on lawbreaking. Or raise the bonus at +4 and make it once per scene, that would make it substancially different than normal.

Offline Hick Jr

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #292 on: April 13, 2014, 02:11:15 PM »
The bonus does last for the whole scene, yes. Technically it's worth 4 specialization points and ergo is already a +4 bonus. I thought about giving a Refinement for all Lawbreaking spells until I realized that there's no specific Thematic Thaumaturgy for "lawbreaking" like there is for necromancy.

Offline Blk4ce

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #293 on: April 13, 2014, 02:27:21 PM »
Sure you can. You can create any theme you want, as long as it doesn't include all of thaumaturgy, it says so in the rules.

Offline Hick Jr

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #294 on: April 13, 2014, 03:11:22 PM »
Right, but the actual Laws encompass more than one area of magic. Giving a Refinement to Necromancy is fine, Giving a Refinement to Necromancy, Transformation, Psychomancy, Chronomancy, and Outsider Magic is broken.

Offline Blk4ce

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #295 on: April 13, 2014, 03:23:51 PM »
Right, but the actual Laws encompass more than one area of magic. Giving a Refinement to Necromancy is fine, Giving a Refinement to Necromancy, Transformation, Psychomancy, Chronomancy, and Outsider Magic is broken.
True, but by RAW it's legal. It means that you won't be able to use the bonus for beneficial magic, however you will be one (legal) terror in battle.

EDIT: Actually... Now I want to play a Blackstaff...

EDIT 2:Actually... Have you thought of giving a bonus powered-up foci/enchanted item named blackstaff (like the warden's sword)?

EDIT 3:Or... Tie it in an IoP (the blackstaff obviously), get refund and break the game! The more I think about it, the more I'm liking it...
« Last Edit: April 13, 2014, 03:43:25 PM by Blk4ce »

Offline Taran

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
    • Chip
« Reply #296 on: April 13, 2014, 08:27:33 PM »
There's a (or many) blackstaff Iop's on this board ...  somewhere.

Offline Sanctaphrax

• White Council
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #297 on: April 13, 2014, 09:47:26 PM »
Trickster's Gift looks good to me.

You can replace your control bonus for evocation with your control bonus for any Lawbreaking spell.

Not sure what this means.

Offline Hick Jr

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #298 on: April 13, 2014, 09:55:37 PM »
Sorry, it's meant to approximate Kemmlerian Necromancy's "replace your evocation control bonus with your necromancy control bonus".

You know, this SM would be easier to define if Blackstaff was an actual thematic thaumaturgy thing.

Offline Sanctaphrax

• White Council
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #299 on: April 13, 2014, 09:58:35 PM »
So which bonus are you using instead of necromancy control?