Author Topic: Sponsored Magic Master List  (Read 84555 times)

Offline vultur

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
Re: Sponsored Magic Master List
« Reply #255 on: November 15, 2013, 06:50:21 AM »
OK, cool.

Also, did my versions of Fomor Magic and Outsider Magic ever end up here?

New Version:
MATHEMAGIC [-4]
Description:
You wield magic derived from a surpassing comprehension of mathematics. Or perhaps the mathematical underpinnings of the universe favor you.
Musts: You must have extensive knowledge of mathematics, through a high Scholarship score and/or stunt.
Sponsor: The mathematical underpinnings of reality and physics: fundamental constants like e, pi, the speed of light in vacuum, and the fine-structure constant; the basic operations of mathematics.
Agenda: To discover, accumulate and preserve mathematical and physical knowledge. Mathemagicians often become obsessive scholars.
Evocation: Mathemagical evocation manipulates probability, dimension, and direction. Probability effects manifest as bizarre flukes of chance; someone sneezes at exactly the right moment to throw off his aim, trips while standing still, is stung by a convenient wasp, and so on. On the more offensive end, someone might suffer a heart attack during combat despite no previous history of problems, or a Red Court vampire might accidentally rip open its own blood storage by fumbling with its claws. Dimension/direction manipulation can cause bullet paths to bend, melee blows to be unable to reach their targets, and so on.
Thaumaturgy: Mathemagical thaumaturgy can provide the effects of entropomancy, as well as equivalent but opposite good-luck effects, via probability manipulation. It can also produce transportation and worldwalking effects.
Evothaum: Entropomancy and good-luck effects can be used with evocation's methods and speed.
Extra Benefits: You understand magic through the lens of mathematics. Use Scholarship instead of Lore for arcane research and all spellcasting purposes (thaumaturgy, enchanted items, Refinement cap...)

Offline Sanctaphrax

• White Council
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #256 on: November 15, 2013, 09:41:46 PM »
Looks good.

Fomor Magic is in the first post and on the list, but Outsider Magic seems to have fallen through the cracks. If you tell me where to find it, I'll add it to the list.

Offline Mr. Death

• Posty McPostington
  • Not all those who wander are lost
    • View Profile
    • The C-Team Podcast
« Reply #257 on: November 15, 2013, 10:08:21 PM »
Compels solve everything!

http://blur.by/1KgqJg6 My first book: "Brothers of the Curled Isles"

Quote from: Cozarkian
Not every word JB rights is a conspiracy. Sometimes, he's just telling a story.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC_T_mld7Acnm-0FVUiaKDPA The C-Team Podcast

Offline Sanctaphrax

• White Council
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #258 on: November 15, 2013, 10:12:38 PM »
I posted this on the "Outsider Stats" thread on the GS/CD spoiler board, but here's my version --

Outsider Magic
Description: Drawing upon the power of the Outside (or a powerful Outsider patron), you're able to cast spells that destroy, distort, ruin, or harm aspects of reality (time, space, energy or matter) and induce fear, despair, and horror.
Cost: 4 refresh, 3 if you have Evocation or Thaumaturgy, 2 if you have both. You also need to either be an Outsider, or have an Outsider patron.
Benefits: Standard sponsored magic benefits.
Evocation - Outsider magic may be used as an element for evocation; when used this way, it produces effects similar to the entropy aspect of water evocation, and can also produce veils (as per spirit evocation). Outsider evocation effects are always obviously and profoundly weird, warping and twisting aspects of reality.
Thaumaturgy - Outsider magic can produce the effects of entropomancy, as well as psychomancy and transportation/worldwalking effects appropriate to the themes of this magic (psychomancy cannot produce beneficial or calming effects, transportation creates teleport effects, etc). It also may produce limited chronomantic effects.
Evothaum  - Outsider magic can produce Outsider-appropriate psychomancy effects with evocation's methods and speed.
Other Benefits - Outsider magic provides a +1 power bonus on evocations (not evothaum) which directly cause destruction or harm.

Extra benefit seems a little weak. Hellfire boosts complexity too.

But other than that it looks fine. I'll add it to the list next update.

Offline vultur

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #259 on: November 16, 2013, 02:55:20 AM »
Yeah, it should probably have the same extra benefit as Hellfire. I think that's probably what I had in mind (given that OW says to use the stats for Hellfire for Outsider Magic), I likely just messed it up.

Offline S1C0

• Conversationalist
  • Don't worry about it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #260 on: January 16, 2014, 03:52:27 AM »
At Sanctaphrax

I had an idea and i wondered how you would stat it out since your boss at it

A sponsor magic that is tied to three separate IOPs The powerglove , Code Book , and my favorite the light gun

as you can guess i need an epic Retro Video game sponsor magic letting you draw the powers of all video games of the
time
Vae Victus

Offline Sanctaphrax

• White Council
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #261 on: January 16, 2014, 06:43:37 AM »
Evocation and thaumaturgy effects seem simple enough. An attack evocation might involve conjuring a bob-omb or shooting someone with a gun from Halo. A ritual might conjure up Pac-Man to eat your enemies or trap someone inside a game of Super Smash Bros.

The extra benefit might let you play video games with your Lore skill or something. That seems kind of weak, though...maybe also include video game knowledge or a numerical bonus? Dunno for sure.

The sponsor/agenda would depend on what you have in mind for the story of this magic. Were the items created by a god or something?

Offline Mr. Death

• Posty McPostington
  • Not all those who wander are lost
    • View Profile
    • The C-Team Podcast
« Reply #262 on: January 16, 2014, 01:10:13 PM »
At Sanctaphrax

I had an idea and i wondered how you would stat it out since your boss at it

A sponsor magic that is tied to three separate IOPs The powerglove , Code Book , and my favorite the light gun

as you can guess i need an epic Retro Video game sponsor magic letting you draw the powers of all video games of the
time
...Are you planning a Captain N game?

Because that sounds awesome.
Compels solve everything!

http://blur.by/1KgqJg6 My first book: "Brothers of the Curled Isles"

Quote from: Cozarkian
Not every word JB rights is a conspiracy. Sometimes, he's just telling a story.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC_T_mld7Acnm-0FVUiaKDPA The C-Team Podcast

Offline S1C0

• Conversationalist
  • Don't worry about it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #263 on: January 17, 2014, 12:35:41 AM »
Very similar possibly to a Captain N game it was an attempt by a nerd warlock to create a weaker infinity gauntlet long story short he had to turn two focus items into resonance items of power so you need all three..

the magic comes purely from the collective wishful thinking of all sentient gamers and the innocence of play

the agenda is simple , the agenda of any game, Beat The Enemy or Win The Game, what i am going with is a arch

enemy a nega-me an evil clone of myself through a scanner darkly
Vae Victus

Offline S1C0

• Conversationalist
  • Don't worry about it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #264 on: January 17, 2014, 03:26:24 AM »
My main thing needed for the power is the extra benefits and i have never tryed my hand at powers with any good balanced result :'( sos
Vae Victus

Offline Sanctaphrax

• White Council
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #265 on: January 17, 2014, 04:16:47 AM »
I think I'd go with "use Lore + 2 to play video games and to know things about video games". Presumably, when there's a Video Game Magician character gaming skills and knowledge are important.

I included the +2 because it's still a pretty narrow bonus even then. I mean, you can't destroy vampires by beating them at Call of Duty.

PS: Writing balanced powers is mostly a matter of practice. If you keep playing and fiddling with mechanics, eventually you'll be good at it.

Though you do have to care. If your attitude is that balance isn't terribly important, no amount of practice will make you good.

Offline S1C0

• Conversationalist
  • Don't worry about it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #266 on: January 18, 2014, 02:53:52 PM »
that is a good balanced one i think i may go with that, how would it look written up?

Vae Victus

Offline Taran

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
    • Chip
« Reply #267 on: January 18, 2014, 10:58:24 PM »
what about a +1(power) bonus to video game themed enchanted items.  Or something like that...or maybe an extra use.  (like finding a power-pack or med-kit in a video game).

Edit:  I guess it would be worded as: One free enchanted item slot to be used on a video game themed item.

So then it could be it's own device or it could add 1 power or 2 extra uses to an existing one.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2014, 11:01:11 PM by Taran »

Offline Sanctaphrax

• White Council
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #268 on: January 19, 2014, 12:25:05 AM »
that is a good balanced one i think i may go with that, how would it look written up?

Something like this, maybe:

VIDEO GAME MAGIC [-4]
Description: You can draw upon the magical power of video games.
Sponsor: The collective wishful thinking of the world's video gamers and the innocence of play.
Agenda: Beat the enemy, win the game, play again. Do it all in a "fun" and "fair" way.
Evocation: Video Game Magic evocations work by temporarily creating things from video games in the real world. An attack might be a virtual explosive conjured out of thin air, while a shield might be a video game character who protects the caster for the duration of the spell. All such effects look as realistic or unrealistic as the games they originate from.
Thaumaturgy: If it involves video games, a Video Game Magic ritual can probably do it. Summoning things from video games, travelling into video games, and trapping people in video games are all possible.
Evothaum: All rituals that may be cast with Video Game Magic may be cast with Evocation's speed and methods.
Extra Benefits: A character with Video Game Magic may use their Lore skill plus two to play video games and to know things about video games.

Offline S1C0

• Conversationalist
  • Don't worry about it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #269 on: January 19, 2014, 12:57:34 AM »
At Sanctaphrax

that is epic man just what i was thinking. :D
Vae Victus