Author Topic: Sponsored Magic Master List  (Read 84571 times)

Offline Taran

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
    • Chip
Re: Sponsored Magic Master List
« Reply #240 on: October 09, 2013, 08:01:10 PM »
It's been too long.

THE POWER OF ROCK [-4]
Description:You wield the power of rock and roll.
Sponsor:Ormagöden, the Fire Beast, the Lord of the Chord, and the God of Metal.
Agenda:Kick ass. Rock out. Be awesome while doing it. Either resist attempts to destroy The Metal, or destroy rival musical avatars.
Evocation:In place of earth, wind, and water, the Metal uses even cooler versions- Metal, Noise, Blood. Fire too, because it was the only one cool enough to stay.
Thaumaturgy:Metal rituals involve conjuring forth massive stages, summoning beasts of metal, melting faces, inspiring the crowds, and looking awesome.
Evothaum: You can perform any rituals using the Power of Rock at Evocation’s speed and methods.
Extra Benefits:You can use Performance in place of Discipline for all magical purposes. In addition, you gain a magical guitar that carries 4 free focus slots that can only be spent on improving the evocations or rituals of the Power of Rock.

My name is Mock; Thanks a lot.

3:15

Offline Hick Jr

• Posty McPostington
  • Actually just a jar full of bees attached to a CPU
    • View Profile
« Reply #241 on: October 09, 2013, 09:35:05 PM »
Well, that was....interesting.

I was thinking of Brutal Legend when I wrote it, but if it'd look good as an Iron Maiden album cover, you can do it.
Hi! My home is called an apiary! I collect honey, and defend the Queen!

Not-so-secretly a power hungry megalomaniac with a Modular Abilities addiction.

Offline Taran

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
    • Chip
« Reply #242 on: October 09, 2013, 09:39:43 PM »
Dude, you have to watch that movie.  It's awesome.  It's called Rock n Rule.  Unfortunately, I gave away the end...it's still worth watching.

Offline Sanctaphrax

• White Council
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #243 on: October 10, 2013, 10:32:01 AM »
I like the Contacts +2 to contact ghosts, though. It makes it different than Ghost Speaker + Mastery of Ectomancy. Any other suggestions for drawbacks?

Best thing I can think of is making the caster vulnerable to the physical attacks of ghosts.

I once wrote a -0 Power that made you solid to ghosts, so you could touch them and they could touch you. I think just getting the second half of that Power would make a good weakness for an ectomancer, since they can already affect ghosts and since they'll inevitably spend enough time around ghosts to make the weakness meaningful.

Offline narphoenix

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #244 on: October 10, 2013, 02:08:18 PM »
So something like this?

SUPERIOR ECTOMANCY [-2]
Description: A master wizard can refine her skills in a particular area so fully that her abilities are qualitatively different from those of a normal mage. While normal specialization simply makes one faster and stronger and more effective, this level of focus provides entirely new capabilities. A wizard with this level of power over ghosts attracts ghosts to herself and can use them to affect the living with all due haste
Sponsor: This Magic is Self Sponsored
Agenda: As this magic is self sponsored, it lacks an agenda
Evocation: This magic does not provide Evocation
Thaumaturgy: This power does not provide Thaumaturgy
Evothaum: All Ectomancy may be cast with the speed and methods of Evocation.
Extra Benefits: Immediately gain the benefits of the Ghost Speaker. However, the power of the wizard who has taken this makes it more extreme. You may use Contacts at +2 when dealing with the dead, but spirits can physically harm you, even if they are unable to manifest.
GMing:

Paranet 2250

Avatar from Scarfgirl and TheOtherChosenOne of Deviantart

Offline Sanctaphrax

• White Council
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #245 on: October 11, 2013, 02:47:29 AM »
Yeah.

Offline narphoenix

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #246 on: October 11, 2013, 03:10:52 AM »
Yeah.

So it's filed under "add to the list"?
GMing:

Paranet 2250

Avatar from Scarfgirl and TheOtherChosenOne of Deviantart

Offline Sanctaphrax

• White Council
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #247 on: October 11, 2013, 03:30:15 AM »
Yep.

Offline vultur

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #248 on: November 09, 2013, 06:39:43 AM »
Maybe needs a better Extra Benefit. Suggestions? A Scholarship bonus with math seems possible, but not that interesting.

MATHEMAGIC [-4]
Description: You wield magic derived from a surpassing comprehension of mathematics. Or perhaps the mathematical underpinnings of the universe favor you.
Musts: You must have extensive knowledge of mathematics, through a high Scholarship score and/or stunt.
Sponsor: The mathematical underpinnings of reality and physics: fundamental constants like e, pi, the speed of light in vacuum, and the fine-structure constant; the basic operations of mathematics.
Agenda: To discover, accumulate and preserve mathematical and physical knowledge. Mathemagicians often become obsessive scholars.
Evocation: Mathemagical evocation manipulates probability, dimension, and direction. Probability effects manifest as bizarre flukes of chance; someone sneezes at exactly the right moment to throw off his aim, trips while standing still, is stung by a convenient wasp, and so on. On the more offensive end, someone might suffer a heart attack during combat despite no previous history of problems, or a Red Court vampire might accidentally rip open its own blood storage by fumbling with its claws. Dimension/direction manipulation can cause bullet paths to bend, melee blows to be unable to reach their targets, and so on.
Thaumaturgy: Mathemagical thaumaturgy can provide the effects of entropomancy, as well as equivalent but opposite good-luck effects, via probability manipulation. It can also produce transportation and worldwalking effects.
Evothaum: Entropomancy and good-luck effects can be used with evocation's methods and speed.
Extra Benefits: So many things can go wrong with a spell. Gain a +1 power and control bonus on counterspells using Mathemagics.

Offline Sanctaphrax

• White Council
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #249 on: November 09, 2013, 09:28:16 PM »
I'd go with something that moves trappings between Scholarship and Lore. Either casting with Scholarship or doing math with Lore. Because having to buy up Scholarship as well as casting skills would be a real pain in the neck.

Both possible bonuses seem kind of small, though, so I'd probably throw in another small extra benefit.

Offline Hick Jr

• Posty McPostington
  • Actually just a jar full of bees attached to a CPU
    • View Profile
« Reply #250 on: November 09, 2013, 09:44:05 PM »
For an extra benefit, how about perception of quantity? You can instantly calculate, day, how many beans are in a jar, the distance between two points, the number of hairs on someone's head, how much something weighs, etcetera.
Hi! My home is called an apiary! I collect honey, and defend the Queen!

Not-so-secretly a power hungry megalomaniac with a Modular Abilities addiction.

Offline vultur

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #251 on: November 09, 2013, 11:08:26 PM »
OK, would replacing Lore with Scholarship for magic purposes + 1 control on counterspells be good?

Offline Sanctaphrax

• White Council
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #252 on: November 10, 2013, 05:33:39 AM »
Could work.

But in my experience counterspells hardly ever get used. I'd be inclined to move some other piece of Lore over to Scholarship instead.

Up to you, of course.

For an extra benefit, how about perception of quantity? You can instantly calculate, day, how many beans are in a jar, the distance between two points, the number of hairs on someone's head, how much something weighs, etcetera.

I oppose this on the grounds that it would discourage me from using Numerical Prodigy with this.

Offline vultur

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #253 on: November 15, 2013, 12:05:33 AM »
But in my experience counterspells hardly ever get used. I'd be inclined to move some other piece of Lore over to Scholarship instead.

Maybe arcane research?  Then you could pretty much do the "scholarly/pure knowledge" parts of Lore with Scholarship. Perceiving supernatural stuff and so on would still be a function of your actual supernatural awareness (Lore).

Offline Sanctaphrax

• White Council
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #254 on: November 15, 2013, 04:04:17 AM »
Sounds good to me.