Author Topic: Sponsored Magic Master List  (Read 84579 times)

Offline Sanctaphrax

• White Council
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
Re: Sponsored Magic Master List
« Reply #225 on: August 09, 2013, 05:34:47 AM »
Looks mostly good to me.

Don't think you need to limit White Lighters to minor Thaumaturgy, but maybe I'd think different if I'd seen the show.

Might be worth clarifying the Extra Benefit a little too. I assume it's a full action in combat?

Can you choose to take some, but not all, of your target's stress and consequences?

Offline Hick Jr

• Posty McPostington
  • Actually just a jar full of bees attached to a CPU
    • View Profile
« Reply #226 on: September 17, 2013, 11:47:00 PM »
It's been too long.

THE POWER OF ROCK [-4]
Description:You wield the power of rock and roll.
Sponsor:Ormagöden, the Fire Beast, the Lord of the Chord, and the God of Metal.
Agenda:Kick ass. Rock out. Be awesome while doing it. Either resist attempts to destroy The Metal, or destroy rival musical avatars.
Evocation:In place of earth, wind, and water, the Metal uses even cooler versions- Metal, Noise, Blood. Fire too, because it was the only one cool enough to stay.
Thaumaturgy:Metal rituals involve conjuring forth massive stages, summoning beasts of metal, melting faces, inspiring the crowds, and looking awesome.
Evothaum: You can perform any rituals using the Power of Rock at Evocation’s speed and methods.
Extra Benefits:You can use Performance in place of Discipline for all magical purposes. In addition, you gain a magical guitar that carries 4 free focus slots that can only be spent on improving the evocations or rituals of the Power of Rock.

ELECTROMAGNETOMANCY [-4]
Description: You wield absolute power over electromagnetism, one of the four fundmental forces of the universe.
Sponsor: Extremely competent geomancers may self-sponsor this Magic. It can be granted by powerful Lightning or Metal elementals, or the occasional Dragon. The occasional storm deity are known to grant this power, and the scions of such deities can develop it as well.
Agenda: User's own, if self sponsored. If granted by an outside entity, the regulation of the laws of physics as they pertain to both magic and reality. The regulation and caretaking of stars.
Evocation:Electromagnetomancy allows for manipulation of all forms of all forms of electromagnetic radiation (ultraviolet, infrared, microwaves, thermal, radio, x-rays, gamma rays), light, electricity, electrons, metal, magnetism, chemistry, and matter.
Thaumaturgy:Electromagnetomantic Rituals utilize the same elements as it's Evocation.
Evothaum:Any ritual that can be performed with Electromagnetomancy can be performed with Evocation's speed and methods.
Extra Benefits:You gain a Supernatural Sense allowing you to perceive the electromagnetic spectrum in it's entirety.
Hi! My home is called an apiary! I collect honey, and defend the Queen!

Not-so-secretly a power hungry megalomaniac with a Modular Abilities addiction.

Offline Sanctaphrax

• White Council
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #227 on: September 19, 2013, 03:18:54 AM »
Electromagnetomancy looks good, but The Power Of Rock is too strong. Four focus slots is 2 Refresh worth, and an Extra Benefit should only be worth 1 Refresh. Switching spellcasting control to Performance would normally also cost 1 Refresh, but I think you could probably get away with including that for free since I have a hard time imagining Performance breaking anything.

Offline Hick Jr

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #228 on: October 08, 2013, 10:11:11 PM »
I'll adjust the Power of Rock.

Anyway, I found this while trawling my old posts. I wrote it for a theoretical organization of evil spellcasters led by an ex-Blackstaff. It's possible the Extra Benefit is undercosted, which I tend to do. Feedback is appreciated.

Have I posted Halloween Magic yet? I should get around to finishing that.

BLACKSTAFF MAGIC [-4]
Description:You wield the fell power of the Blackstaff, the black ops man of the White Council.
Sponsor:The Blackstaff itself.
Agenda:To break the Laws of Magic- namely to kill, to transform, to invade the thoughts of others, to enthrall, to use necromancy, to swim against the flow of time, and to look Outside the Outer Gates.
Evocation: Any evocation that breaks one of the Seven Laws.
Thaumaturgy:Any ritual that breaks one of the Seven Laws.
Evothaum:Any ritual that breaks one of the Laws can be used at evocation's speed and methods.
Extra Benefits:If you possess Blackstaff Magic, you cannot gain a Lawbreaker power. Instead, you can spend a Fate Point and gain a +2 bonus to control and complexity/power to spells that break a specific Law for that scene.

Offline Sanctaphrax

• White Council
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #229 on: October 09, 2013, 02:56:32 AM »
You haven't posted Halloween Magic yet.

That is an interesting extra benefit. Pretty powerful, but...I'd be tentatively willing to allow it if I were GMing. 1 Refresh for the benefit plus 1 FP for 2 Refinements worth of bonuses is reasonable, though I am a little worried about stacking bonuses.

Offline Hick Jr

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #230 on: October 09, 2013, 03:22:31 AM »
I'll try to have it up by the end of the week.

I should probably put "spend a FP or take a point of Sponsor Debt" in there, because the Sponsor Debt makes more sense given what we saw of the Blackstaff in Changes. I personally view the benefit as fairly limited. I mean, if you want to kill people, fine. Go wild. But i've never seen a situation on this board or in an IRL game where the Second, Sixth, and Third Laws came up. I came up with the magic because I had a character concept for an ex-cultist of the aforementioned Blackstaff cult, who was basically a wizard with this Sponsored Magic.

Thanks for the feedback. I wished more people used all these magics I write.  :'(

Offline narphoenix

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #231 on: October 09, 2013, 03:55:35 AM »
Thanks for the feedback. I wished more people used all these magics I write.  :'(

Whereas all the magics I wrote up are in use right now! :P
GMing:

Paranet 2250

Avatar from Scarfgirl and TheOtherChosenOne of Deviantart

Offline Hick Jr

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #232 on: October 09, 2013, 03:56:41 AM »
Whereas all the magics I wrote up are in use right now! :P
YOU ARE A BUTT

FILLED WITH OTHER, SMALLER BUTTS

Offline narphoenix

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #233 on: October 09, 2013, 04:23:11 AM »
YOU ARE A BUTT

FILLED WITH OTHER, SMALLER BUTTS

I knew your response was going to be hilarious. But I didn't think it would be that funny.

Anyway, I need this Sponsored Magic so that I can post the stats of a group known as the Seven. A powerful group known as the Seven (not from a fan work). The wizard among them has this power, so I'm putting it through the wringer to see how it goes:

SUPERIOR ECTOMANCY [-2]
Description: A master wizard can refine her skills in a particular area so fully that her abilities are qualitatively different from those of a normal mage. While normal specialization simply makes one faster and stronger and more effective, this level of focus provides entirely new capabilities. A wizard with this level of power over ghosts attracts ghosts to herself and can use them to affect the living with all due haste
Sponsor: This Magic is Self Sponsored
Agenda: As this magic is self sponsored, it lacks an agenda
Evocation: This magic does not provide Evocation
Thaumaturgy: This power does not provide Thaumaturgy
Evothaum: All Ectomancy may be cast with the speed and methods of Evocation.
Extra Benefits: Immediately gain the benefits of the Ghost Speaker. However, the power of the wizard who has taken this makes it more extreme. Ghosts notice you at +4 instead of +2, but you may use Contacts at +2 when dealing with the dead.
GMing:

Paranet 2250

Offline Hick Jr

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #234 on: October 09, 2013, 04:26:39 AM »
Which work? If you're doing the Seven from the Kingkiller Chronicle, I did a Sponsored Magic for them.

Offline narphoenix

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #235 on: October 09, 2013, 04:31:36 AM »
Which work? If you're doing the Seven from the Kingkiller Chronicle, I did a Sponsored Magic for them.

This Seven are not from a work. Although the wizard of this Seven is based off of a member of one of the Seven from a certain series. Hint: the magic she's taking is related to the character she's based off of.
GMing:

Paranet 2250

Offline Sanctaphrax

• White Council
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #236 on: October 09, 2013, 07:03:32 PM »
I mean, if you want to kill people, fine. Go wild. But i've never seen a situation on this board or in an IRL game where the Second, Sixth, and Third Laws came up.

I think the 3rd would come up fairly often if it wasn't forbidden. Mind reading is handy.

The 6th is pretty out there, though. And breaking the 2nd is usually just a needlessly elaborate way to kill someone.

I know the feeling.

Unfortunately, Sponsored Magic tends to get used rarely. It's very conceptually specific and it's usually central to the character using it. So many people prefer to write their own, and even if people go hunting for Sponsored Magics to use they're only gonna use 1 per PC.

SUPERIOR ECTOMANCY [-2]
Description: A master wizard can refine her skills in a particular area so fully that her abilities are qualitatively different from those of a normal mage. While normal specialization simply makes one faster and stronger and more effective, this level of focus provides entirely new capabilities. A wizard with this level of power over ghosts attracts ghosts to herself and can use them to affect the living with all due haste
Sponsor: This Magic is Self Sponsored
Agenda: As this magic is self sponsored, it lacks an agenda
Evocation: This magic does not provide Evocation
Thaumaturgy: This power does not provide Thaumaturgy
Evothaum: All Ectomancy may be cast with the speed and methods of Evocation.
Extra Benefits: Immediately gain the benefits of the Ghost Speaker. However, the power of the wizard who has taken this makes it more extreme. Ghosts notice you at +4 instead of +2, but you may use Contacts at +2 when dealing with the dead.

I like the idea of the extra benefit, but I'm not sure it's appropriate to use an increased bonus to contacting you as a drawback. I mean, what's wrong with being contacted?

Offline narphoenix

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #237 on: October 09, 2013, 07:26:14 PM »
I like the idea of the extra benefit, but I'm not sure it's appropriate to use an increased bonus to contacting you as a drawback. I mean, what's wrong with being contacted?

It's actually very simple.

Example:

Diana, the wizard among the Seven, is trying to sneak into a warehouse. Her stealth is Good, but there are Lecter Specters guarding the place with an Alertness of Average. Although she could usually count on her Stealth being good enough to sneak past, her Superior Ectomancy bites her in the ass as the Lecter Specters can sense her presence at Superb.   

Essentially, where there are dead people, someone with Superior Ectomancy finds it *really* difficult to sneak around.
GMing:

Paranet 2250

Offline Sanctaphrax

• White Council
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #238 on: October 09, 2013, 07:32:00 PM »
I guess. But even so, it seems really narrow.

Offline narphoenix

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #239 on: October 09, 2013, 07:39:50 PM »
I guess. But even so, it seems really narrow.

I like the Contacts +2 to contact ghosts, though. It makes it different than Ghost Speaker + Mastery of Ectomancy. Any other suggestions for drawbacks?
GMing:

Paranet 2250