Author Topic: Sponsored Magic Master List  (Read 84598 times)

Offline Sanctaphrax

• White Council
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
Re: Sponsored Magic Master List
« Reply #210 on: July 20, 2013, 04:40:35 PM »
Hm. Split the difference at a bonus for first impressions and holy touch?

That's still 2 1-Refresh abilities for the price of one. I think it'd be better to make the limitation harsher.

and after a reread of Flesh Mask, i'm not incredibly sure about it. Echoes of the Beast, for nocturnal animals?

I dunno, animal Echoes doesn't seem totally fitting.

Though...you could go with Echoes Of The Moon. You get +1 to Alertness/Investigation in situations where the moon's senses would be better than a human's (whatever that means), you can do one minor thing humans can't (like maybe glowing), and you can sort-of talk to moon (it's not much of a conversationalist because it lacks a brain).

If you went that route you could make the day ability into Echoes Of The Sun.

Offline username

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #211 on: July 30, 2013, 02:50:22 AM »
Seeing as how i'm using this in EtA, i figured i'd post it.

ASTROMANCY [-4]
Description: You wield power over the physical and mythological aspects of the Sun and the Moon. This power is generally wielded by priests, witches, and druids.
Sponsor: This power is often self sponsored, gained by heliomancers and menemancers who learn to blend the two arts. However, gods of Day and Night will often grant this power to their followers. If so, it is sponsored by them. Amaterasu, Tsukuyomi-no-mikoto, Apollo, Selune, Helios, Artemis, Horus, Ra, Quetzalcoatl, Svarog, Nut, Sekhmet, Hecate, and Chang’e are all gods or goddesses whose portfolios include the sun or the moon, and thus are capable of granting this power.
Agenda: The preservation of the balance between Day and Night. Protection of both the Sun and the Moon against creatures who would do harm to either, such as vampires who want the sun to go out, Summerfae who would love daylight everlasting, and so on. If granted by a god, that god’s agenda.
Evocation:You can manipulate aspects of the sun and the moon. From the moon, you gain power over darkness, cold, gravity, earth, oceans, blood, time, trickery, and madness. From the sun, you gain power over light, fire, electromagnetism, nuclear forces, radiation, space, growth, battle, and plants.
Thaumaturgy: Rituals cast with Astromancy make use of the same themes as Evocation cast with it, but their applications lean towards the abilities of deities of the day, the night, and the sun and the moon.
Evothaum: Any ritual that can be cast with Astromancy can be cast with evocation’s speed and methods.
Extra Benefits: The power granted by the sun and the moon changes depending on which one of those is in the sky at the moment. During the day, you gain the Sight. During the night, you gain Cloak of Shadows. 

The extremely broad evocation elements are where people might take issue, but that's honestly a flavor thing. Trapping someone in a recursive space loop (Block vs Conviction/Alertness/Lore) isn't much different than imposing your will on someone's motor centers via Spirit evocation (Block vs Conviction/Discipline/Might). They're also fairly accurate representations of the portfolios of the gods mentioned above.

I remember WoJ that magic doesn't really work when you're beyond the Earth or something. I can imagine the Pro-Nightists using magic smoke or whatever to obscure the sky, but how would the Pro-Sunners reach the moon?

Offline Hick Jr

• Posty McPostington
  • Actually just a jar full of bees attached to a CPU
    • View Profile
« Reply #212 on: July 30, 2013, 05:49:31 AM »
I flavor it as drawing power from the elementals inhabiting the stars. Earth's magic-field is helpful, but unnecessary. Which is a useful Compel if your player ever leaves the atmosphere.

Pro-Nightists would probably put something in an orbit as that it was always causing a full solar eclipse. Obscuring the sky would also work.

Keep in mind that "the fabric of space" is one of the evocation and ritual elements of this. Pro-Sun people might literally teleport the Moon away, which would be ecologically devastating and would destroy a healthy chunk of the planet's ocean life.
Hi! My home is called an apiary! I collect honey, and defend the Queen!

Not-so-secretly a power hungry megalomaniac with a Modular Abilities addiction.

Offline Hick Jr

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #213 on: August 02, 2013, 08:46:02 AM »
Am I the largest contributor to this list?

TECHNOMANCY [-4]
Description: You wield power over technology itself, the cornerstone of civilization.
Sponsor: The new gods of things like Media and Internet and Highway. Ferromancers and those with metal elementals in their ancestry might naturally develop this power.
Agenda: The furtherance of technology and scientific discovery, the application of rigor and structure to magic as a whole.
Evocation: Technomantic evocations resemble metal evocations, and involve advanced weaponry, like lasers, homing missiles, electricity blasts, and so on.
Thaumaturgy: Technomantic rituals can look through cameras, see through satellites, create golems out of electronics, conjure pieces of technology, and create techno-magical marvels.
Evothaum: Any ritual that can be performed with Technomancy can be performed at Evocation’s speed and methods.
Extra Benefits: You are incapable of accidentally hexing technology, and the technology created via your spells cannot be accidentally hexed. You gain Echoes of the Beast (Machines), which allows you to talk with machines, and grants +1 to Craftsmanship to working with complex machinery.

Offline Sanctaphrax

• White Council
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #214 on: August 02, 2013, 09:48:29 PM »
Looks good to me, and I think so.

Offline Hick Jr

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #215 on: August 02, 2013, 10:07:39 PM »
ANOTHER CROWN TO ADD TO MY VAST COLLECTION OF FRIVOLOUS CROWNS.

If anyone has any suggestions or requests for a Sponsored Magic, i'm down.

Offline narphoenix

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #216 on: August 02, 2013, 10:19:55 PM »
I contributed!

(click to show/hide)
GMing:

Paranet 2250

Avatar from Scarfgirl and TheOtherChosenOne of Deviantart

Offline Hick Jr

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #217 on: August 02, 2013, 11:04:40 PM »
PUNY NARPHOENIX. FUHRER KING HICK HAS CONTRIBUTED A DOZEN.

(note to self: Fullmetal Alchemy sponsored magic?)

Offline narphoenix

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #218 on: August 02, 2013, 11:23:45 PM »
PUNY NARPHOENIX. FUHRER KING HICK HAS CONTRIBUTED A DOZEN.

(note to self: Fullmetal Alchemy sponsored magic?)

Murphy is puny, too. You don't see Harry willing to get on her bad side. 
GMing:

Paranet 2250

Offline Hick Jr

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #219 on: August 02, 2013, 11:51:20 PM »
I kid, I kid. I actually really like Kindly Magic! It's extra benefit is coolio.

But no really, i need new ideas for sponsored magics i'm getting the shakes

oh god

the shakes

Offline Sanctaphrax

• White Council
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #220 on: August 03, 2013, 10:35:25 AM »
FMA Sponsored Magic could be neat. Or maybe some kind of Law Magic.

Offline Hick Jr

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #221 on: August 03, 2013, 11:49:40 PM »
What do you mean by Law Magic? Law in the D&D sense?

FMA may be better represented by Incite Effect, but I'll take a crack at it. After replaying Brutal Legend, i really want to do a Power of Metal SM.

Offline Sanctaphrax

• White Council
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #222 on: August 04, 2013, 01:20:41 AM »
Law in either the D&D sense or the government sense. They could both work.

Offline Troy

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #223 on: August 08, 2013, 02:32:58 PM »
WHITE LIGHTER MAGIC [-4]
Description: This is the magic of White Lighters, ranked among the guardians of White Magic. It is almost always used to defend and protect innocents from the perturbations of the forces of evil and darkness. White Lighters are able to orb (teleport) to any location on Earth or other realms, taking passengers with them. They can also heal those who have been injured, but their power cannot bring the dead back to life.
Sponsor: The Elders.
Agenda: Guide, advise, and protect witches and others who potentially have a great destiny. A White Lighter's charges are assigned to them by the Elders. White Lighters must also work to keep magic a secret from the uninitiated and cannot act in mortal affairs if such action might expose the existence of magic to the world.
Evocation: White Lighter Evocations create blocks and maneuvers in order to protect and defend their charges. Evocations are rarely ever used to attack, but when they do, the magical attack appears to be a searing bolt of lightning.
Thaumaturgy: White Lighter rituals include minor Divination and healing rituals.
Evothaum: White Lighters can perform their Divination and healing with Evocation's methods and speed.
Extra Benefits: Once per target, per scene, a White Lighter may remove Physical Stress and Consequences provided injuries were sustained via "unnatural" means. A man shot by a mugger could not be healed, but a man shot by a mugger who was under the influence of a demon could be healed. Physical Stress and Consequences healed in this manner at transferred to the White Lighter in the form of Mental Stress or Consequences. White Lighters are extremely empathic souls and witnessing the pain and violence wrought by mortals can be taxing and traumatizing for them.
Ragnarok:NYC
Come play a game in the Dresdenverse with us!
Find us on Skype! Contact LongLostTroy

Offline narphoenix

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #224 on: August 08, 2013, 03:26:32 PM »
WHITE LIGHTER MAGIC [-4]
Description: This is the magic of White Lighters, ranked among the guardians of White Magic. It is almost always used to defend and protect innocents from the perturbations of the forces of evil and darkness. White Lighters are able to orb (teleport) to any location on Earth or other realms, taking passengers with them. They can also heal those who have been injured, but their power cannot bring the dead back to life.
Sponsor: The Elders.
Agenda: Guide, advise, and protect witches and others who potentially have a great destiny. A White Lighter's charges are assigned to them by the Elders. White Lighters must also work to keep magic a secret from the uninitiated and cannot act in mortal affairs if such action might expose the existence of magic to the world.
Evocation: White Lighter Evocations create blocks and maneuvers in order to protect and defend their charges. Evocations are rarely ever used to attack, but when they do, the magical attack appears to be a searing bolt of lightning.
Thaumaturgy: White Lighter rituals include minor Divination and healing rituals.
Evothaum: White Lighters can perform their Divination and healing with Evocation's methods and speed.
Extra Benefits: Once per target, per scene, a White Lighter may remove Physical Stress and Consequences provided injuries were sustained via "unnatural" means. A man shot by a mugger could not be healed, but a man shot by a mugger who was under the influence of a demon could be healed. Physical Stress and Consequences healed in this manner at transferred to the White Lighter in the form of Mental Stress or Consequences. White Lighters are extremely empathic souls and witnessing the pain and violence wrought by mortals can be taxing and traumatizing for them.

Charmed, anyone?
GMing:

Paranet 2250