Author Topic: Sponsored Magic Master List  (Read 84489 times)

Offline Sanctaphrax

• White Council
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
Re: Sponsored Magic Master List
« Reply #195 on: June 28, 2013, 08:35:27 AM »
Alright. I'll add that to the list.

Actually, wait. It just occurred to me that "counts as sunlight" doesn't necessarily have to cost anything. We don't charge pyromancers for the ability to satisfy Catches that have to do with fire, do we?

If you don't object, I'll include a bit saying that Ra's Magic attacks can manipulate Catch-satisfying sunlight.

Offline PirateJack

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #196 on: June 28, 2013, 08:48:20 AM »
Sure, that works. I'd intended it to satisfy sunlight Catches anyway, just forgot to put it in.
Quote from: JoeC
"Why are you banging your head against the wall?
'cause it feels sooooo good when I stop..."

Offline Hick Jr

• Posty McPostington
  • Actually just a jar full of bees attached to a CPU
    • View Profile
« Reply #197 on: July 09, 2013, 04:41:27 AM »
So, does anyone have any thoughts on what an Extra Benefit for a Sponsored Magic based on the Sun and the Moon would be like? The evocation and ritual are already pretty broad, encompassing most of the physical and mythical aspects of both. I'm hitting a roadblock with the extra benefit, however.
Hi! My home is called an apiary! I collect honey, and defend the Queen!

Not-so-secretly a power hungry megalomaniac with a Modular Abilities addiction.

Offline Sanctaphrax

• White Council
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #198 on: July 09, 2013, 06:41:07 AM »
During the day, you have X ability. During the night, you have Y ability.

That's what I'd go with.

Offline Hick Jr

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #199 on: July 09, 2013, 06:49:55 AM »
I was thinking something along those lines, but I wasn't sure where to go with it. Like, should it grant a 1 refresh power for time of day? Provide a free "Astral Conjunction" tag to rituals? something else? If I go the 1 refresh power route, it'd probably go

Day- the Sight
Night- Cloak of Shadows

Offline Sanctaphrax

• White Council
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #200 on: July 10, 2013, 01:54:13 AM »
Yeah, I was thinking something like that. One Power or stunt during the day, another one during the night.

Hopefully it's not too strong...ideally, not being able to control which ability you have ought to cancel out the benefit of having access to two abilities.

Offline Hick Jr

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #201 on: July 10, 2013, 06:02:04 AM »
I was also thinking something along the lines of possibly replacing your Scholarship with your Lore for the purposes of ritual complexity. Or possibly providing a +3 to Astronomy-based Scholarship checks or something mimicking the Doctor stunt.

Offline Sanctaphrax

• White Council
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #202 on: July 10, 2013, 07:48:55 AM »
I like the astronomy idea. Unfortunately it might be kind of useless...but you could use it for ritual prep, so that's something.

Offline Hick Jr

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #203 on: July 10, 2013, 10:48:29 PM »
I was also thinking ritual prep. Conjunctions and all that. Can anyone else think of anything? It's a cool concept that i'm struggling to do stuff with beyond really the really vast evocation elements that are my trademark.

Offline Hick Jr

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #204 on: July 16, 2013, 11:04:16 PM »
Oh, and just to prove that I haven't lost my touch, another one. This one is based on the power of the Red God R'hllor from the Song of Ice and Fire series (Game of Thrones).

THE RED FAITH
Description:You wield the power of the God Of Light and Life, R'hllor.
Sponsor:The aforementioned deity. Rumor has it that R'hllor is simply a Summer King of immense power, and so Summerfae and other Seelie creatures may be able to gain this power.
Agenda:The devastation of creatures of darkness, cold, and death. Namely, the Unseelie Fae, but all those who wield such powers are evil and disgusting in your eyes. Burn them.
Evocation:Followers of R'hllor wield power over fire, light, life, smoke, ash, and to the surprise of many, shadows.
Thaumaturgy:Followers of R'hllor can look into flames and see the future, summon terrors of shadow and flame, create wards to defend the bright and living, and step through flames to travel from one location to another.
Evothaum:Any ritual that can be cast using the Red Faith can be cast with Evocation's speed and methods.
Extra Benefits:While wearing nothing but red, you gain Marked By Power (R'hllor), and the Holy Touch custom power.

Suggestions for a better name would be appreciated.

A Sponsored Magic for the Great Other, who's DV counterpart is featured in a famous horror video game, is forthcoming.
« Last Edit: July 16, 2013, 11:10:24 PM by Hick Jr »

Offline Hick Jr

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #205 on: July 18, 2013, 05:03:23 AM »
Seeing as how i'm using this in EtA, i figured i'd post it.

ASTROMANCY [-4]
Description: You wield power over the physical and mythological aspects of the Sun and the Moon. This power is generally wielded by priests, witches, and druids.
Sponsor: This power is often self sponsored, gained by heliomancers and menemancers who learn to blend the two arts. However, gods of Day and Night will often grant this power to their followers. If so, it is sponsored by them. Amaterasu, Tsukuyomi-no-mikoto, Apollo, Selune, Helios, Artemis, Horus, Ra, Quetzalcoatl, Svarog, Nut, Sekhmet, Hecate, and Chang’e are all gods or goddesses whose portfolios include the sun or the moon, and thus are capable of granting this power.
Agenda: The preservation of the balance between Day and Night. Protection of both the Sun and the Moon against creatures who would do harm to either, such as vampires who want the sun to go out, Summerfae who would love daylight everlasting, and so on. If granted by a god, that god’s agenda.
Evocation:You can manipulate aspects of the sun and the moon. From the moon, you gain power over darkness, cold, gravity, earth, oceans, blood, time, trickery, and madness. From the sun, you gain power over light, fire, electromagnetism, nuclear forces, radiation, space, growth, battle, and plants.
Thaumaturgy: Rituals cast with Astromancy make use of the same themes as Evocation cast with it, but their applications lean towards the abilities of deities of the day, the night, and the sun and the moon.
Evothaum: Any ritual that can be cast with Astromancy can be cast with evocation’s speed and methods.
Extra Benefits: The power granted by the sun and the moon changes depending on which one of those is in the sky at the moment. During the day, you gain the Sight. During the night, you gain Cloak of Shadows. 

The extremely broad evocation elements are where people might take issue, but that's honestly a flavor thing. Trapping someone in a recursive space loop (Block vs Conviction/Alertness/Lore) isn't much different than imposing your will on someone's motor centers via Spirit evocation (Block vs Conviction/Discipline/Might). They're also fairly accurate representations of the portfolios of the gods mentioned above.
« Last Edit: July 18, 2013, 05:11:44 AM by Hick Jr »

Offline Sanctaphrax

• White Council
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #206 on: July 19, 2013, 03:46:59 PM »
I think the Red Faith's extra benefit is too good. Needing to wear red isn't much of a limitation, and being able to turn off Marked By Power is kind of useful.

Little bit hesitant about Astromancy too, since not having Cloak Of Shadows during the day will rarely matter.

BRIDE OF HADES [-4] (More in-game lore relevant to our campaign)

Description:  Drawing on the power of Hecate as the bride of Hades, you are able to cast spells that fit into her nature as the consort of the death god.

Sponsor: Hades and Hecate

Agenda: Convert mortals to Hades' or Hecate’s worship.  Stop the other gods of death.  Pursuit and execution of Necromancers and mortals made immortal (Vampires, Denarians, even ghosts, zombies and other undead raised against their will)

Evocation: Evocations that involve this sponsor involve killing things, or causing them to end.

Thaumaturgy: Ectomancy, sending souls to Tartarus or Asphodel, contacting the recent dead.

Evothaum: Ectomancy

Extra Benefits: The positive benefits of Lawbreaker (First) as well as insulation from the effects of continued use.

Offline Hick Jr

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #207 on: July 19, 2013, 06:13:22 PM »
Well, as a "faith" thing, Holy Touch works really well thematically. But the wearing red thing is what makes the red priests really recognizable.

Okay, i thought that one could use some review. Thoughts on a better extra benefit?

Offline Sanctaphrax

• White Council
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #208 on: July 19, 2013, 09:05:12 PM »
Well, as a "faith" thing, Holy Touch works really well thematically. But the wearing red thing is what makes the red priests really recognizable.

It's certainly appropriate narratively. But it's 2 Refresh worth of stuff, plus it lets you get around Marked By Power's drawback and Holy Touch's prerequisite.

Okay, i thought that one could use some review. Thoughts on a better extra benefit?

How about switching Cloak Of Shadows for Flesh Mask? Being wrapped in an inhumanly beautiful illusion seems very moon-y to me.

Offline Hick Jr

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #209 on: July 19, 2013, 09:47:31 PM »
Hm. Split the difference at a bonus for first impressions and holy touch?

and after a reread of Flesh Mask, i'm not incredibly sure about it. Echoes of the Beast, for nocturnal animals?