Author Topic: Sponsored Magic Master List  (Read 86021 times)

Offline Hick Jr

• Posty McPostington
  • Actually just a jar full of bees attached to a CPU
    • View Profile
Re: Sponsored Magic Master List
« Reply #150 on: March 10, 2013, 05:19:15 AM »
So, the Elementalists. This is basically what I envision the users of the various elemental Sponsored Magics as. Plant Magic, Vulcanomancy, Storm Magic, that type of thing.

The Elementalists

The Orphan Knight
(click to show/hide)

« Last Edit: March 10, 2013, 05:48:38 AM by Hick Jr »
Hi! My home is called an apiary! I collect honey, and defend the Queen!

Not-so-secretly a power hungry megalomaniac with a Modular Abilities addiction.

Offline Sanctaphrax

• White Council
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #151 on: March 19, 2013, 03:25:42 AM »
So...are you still doing this?

Offline Lavecki121

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #152 on: March 19, 2013, 03:30:48 AM »
Ok so I wanted to make an opposing sponsor for chronomancy. This is what I have come up with, it needs work.

SPACE MANIPULATION [-4]
Description: This is power granted by Spacious, the God of Space.
Sponsor: Spacious, the God of Space, who grants his scions the ability to move freely throughout space (within reason).
Agenda: Spacious works to keep the universe in working order. He uses scions who have the ability to manipulate space, prevent the universe from collapsing.
Evocation: Space Manipulation evocations work by affecting the space around the user, extending or reducing space between two points.
Thaumaturgy: Space Manipulation rituals manipulate space. Teleportation is their most obvious application, but not their only one.
Evothaum: All rituals that may be cast with Space Manipulation may be cast with Evocation's speed and methods.
Extra Benefits: not sure what to put here.

I intend for the two powers be at odds in same way winner and summer are

Can anyone assist me with a rewrite of this?

Offline Sanctaphrax

• White Council
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #153 on: March 19, 2013, 09:31:03 PM »
Sure.

What do you need help with?

I remember we came up with some Extra Benefit ideas a while back...have you decided what you want to do there?

Offline Lavecki121

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #154 on: March 20, 2013, 10:22:25 PM »
TIME MANIPULATION [-4]
Description: This is power granted by Kronos, the God of Time.
Sponsor: Kronos, the God of Time, who grants his scions the ability to move freely throughout time (within reason).
Agenda: Kronos works to keep the timestream in working order. He uses scions who have the ability to travel along the timestream to prevent temporal anomalies from occurring.
Evocation: Time Manipulation evocations work by slowing down and speeding up the flow of time. This provides the normal set of Evocation effects, but with some funky desciptions; attacks might work by causing time to flow unevenly across the target's body while blocks might work by creating narrow slices of space where time barely moves.
Thaumaturgy: Time Manipulation rituals manipulate time. Straightforward time travel is their most obvious application, but not their only one.
Evothaum: All rituals that may be cast with Time Manipulation may be cast with Evocation's speed and methods.
Extra Benefits: Characters with Time Manipulation have a Lore-based Supernatural Sense for temporal anomalies. It can be used to detect disruptions to the timestream and to determine whether an action will cause such a disruption to occur. Some scions of Kronos use this ability to collect souvenirs from the past without changing history.

SPACE MANIPULATION [-4]
Sponsor: Spacious, the God of Space, who grants his scions the ability to move freely throughout space (within reason).
Agenda: Spacious works to keep the universe in working order. He uses scions who have the ability to manipulate space, prevent the universe from collapsing.
Evocation: Space Manipulation evocations work by affecting the space around the user, extending or reducing space between two points.
Thaumaturgy: Space Manipulation rituals manipulate space. Teleportation is their most obvious application, but not their only one.
Evothaum: All rituals that may be cast with Space Manipulation may be cast with Evocation's speed and methods.
Extra Benefits: Characters with Space Manipulation have a lore based supernatural sense to know the distance/size of any space they can occupy or see (rooms they have been in, buildings, point a to point b ect)

I want them to be of similar power but I dont know if they are as written. Just check it and make sure, edit as needed.

Offline Hick Jr

• Posty McPostington
  • Actually just a jar full of bees attached to a CPU
    • View Profile
« Reply #155 on: March 20, 2013, 10:39:33 PM »
Wow. Sorry for my absence. I was gone for a while, there. Yeah, i'll keep doing them. I was thinking of doing the Tenebromancer next, but do you have a suggestion?
Hi! My home is called an apiary! I collect honey, and defend the Queen!

Not-so-secretly a power hungry megalomaniac with a Modular Abilities addiction.

Offline Sanctaphrax

• White Council
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #156 on: March 20, 2013, 11:19:33 PM »
Wow. Sorry for my absence. I was gone for a while, there. Yeah, i'll keep doing them. I was thinking of doing the Tenebromancer next, but do you have a suggestion?

Nah, I don't have any particular ideas. Just checking up on you.

Speaking of which, it's your turn in EtA.

TIME MANIPULATION [-4]
Sponsor: Kronos, the God of Time, who grants his scions the ability to move freely throughout time (within reason).
Agenda: Kronos works to keep the timestream in working order. He uses scions who have the ability to travel along the timestream to prevent temporal anomalies from occurring.
Evocation: Time Manipulation evocations work by slowing down and speeding up the flow of time. This provides the normal set of Evocation effects, but with some funky desciptions; attacks might work by causing time to flow unevenly across the target's body while blocks might work by creating narrow slices of space where time barely moves.
Thaumaturgy: Time Manipulation rituals manipulate time. Straightforward time travel is their most obvious application, but not their only one.
Evothaum: All rituals that may be cast with Time Manipulation may be cast with Evocation's speed and methods.
Extra Benefits: Characters with Time Manipulation have a Lore-based Supernatural Sense for temporal anomalies. It can be used to detect disruptions to the timestream and to determine whether an action will cause such a disruption to occur. Some scions of Kronos use this ability to collect souvenirs from the past without changing history.

SPACE MANIPULATION [-4]
Extra Benefits: Characters with Space Manipulation have a lore based supernatural sense to know the distance/size of any space they can occupy or see (rooms they have been in, buildings, point a to point b ect)

I want them to be of similar power but I dont know if they are as written. Just check it and make sure, edit as needed.

I think they're equal power-wise.

There are a couple of asymmetries, though. Time Manipulation's sense detects anomalies where Space Manipulation's sense detects space in general. Maybe expand them both to cover both anomalies and general space/time stuff. I don't think that'd break anything.

And Time Manipulation explains its Evocation more. Just for the sake of symmetry, it might be worth adding some text to Space Manipulation.

They're both workable as written, but they could mirror each other more closely. I'll take a shot at editing 'em later today or tomorrow.

Offline Lavecki121

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #157 on: March 21, 2013, 04:04:33 AM »
Thanks mate

Offline Sanctaphrax

• White Council
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #158 on: March 21, 2013, 10:24:01 PM »
SPACE MANIPULATION [-4]
Evocation: Space Manipulation evocations work by affecting the space around the user, extending or reducing the space between two points. This provides the normal set of evocation effects, but with some funky descriptions; attacks might work by warping the space inside someone's body while blocks might work by placing enormous distances between an attacker and their target.
Extra Benefits: Characters with Space Manipulation have a Lore-based Supernatural Sense for space. It can be used to determine one's location, to sense how large or how far away something is, to detect spacial anomalies. Other related effects are also possible; this list is not exhaustive. Some scions of Spacious use this ability to map the universe without a telescope.

TIME MANIPULATION [-4]
Extra Benefits: Characters with Time Manipulation have a Lore-based Supernatural Sense for time. It can be used to tell what time it is, to detect disruptions to the timestream, and to determine whether an action will damage the flow of time. Other related effects are also possible; this list is not exhaustive. Some scions of Kronos use this ability to collect souvenirs from the past without changing history.

Offline Lavecki121

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #159 on: March 22, 2013, 02:28:28 AM »
That's wonderful. I love the symmetry between them. Thanks Sancta

Offline Sanctaphrax

• White Council
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #160 on: April 13, 2013, 02:42:03 AM »
Grabbed these from the Dallas game over on Obsidian Portal. I'll reword them and add them to the list when the next update comes around.

Seiđr (Odin)

Drawing on the power of the god Odin, you’re able to cast spells that fit his essential nature: war and battle, victory and death, wisdom and prophecy, trickery, cunning, and the hunt. These magics are under Odin’s sway and making use of it will inevitably gain his notice far away in his hall of Valhalla (in the Nevernever – the Ginnungagap – in the realm of Asgard).
Cost: 4 refresh for the package, not to mention approval from Odin himself. Reduce this cost by 1 if you have Evocation or Thaumaturgy; reduce the cost by 2 if you have both.

Benefits: Standard sponsored magic benefits (page 288). Odin’s magic is particularly effective against giants; downgrading the effectiveness of any Toughness ability the target has by one step (Mythic Toughness becomes Supernatural, Supernatural becomes Inhuman, Inhuman goes away) when using this magic against a giant enemy (this is mainly in reference to Norse giants, but large ‘humanoid’ Fae like Ogres and Trolls count too). Odin’s Seiđr may be used as an element for evocation, allowing evocation spell effects that encourage trickery, battle, lightning, pain, fury, and knowledge. Odin’s favored type of Thaumaturgy is without a doubt divination and via casting runestones, can be done with an evocation spell’s methods and speed. Additionally, Odin’s magic tends to take the form of (or incorporate) runes.

Seiđr (Freyja)
Drawing on the power of the goddess Freyja, you’re able to cast spells that fit her essential nature: love and beauty, family, hearth and home, sex, birth and fertility, growing things, rain storms, and protective war. These magics are under Freyja’s sway and making use of it will inevitably gain her notice far away in her hall of Sessrúmnir (in the Nevernever – the Ginnungagap – in her realm of Fólkvangr).

Cost: 4 refresh for the package, not to mention approval from Freyja herself. Reduce this cost by 1 if you have Evocation or Thaumaturgy; reduce the cost by 2 if you have both (As Freyja’s version has no Supernatural Toughness reducing ability, it does have more elements that can be used).

Benefits: Standard sponsored magic benefits (page 288). Freyja’s Seiđr may be used as an element for evocation, allowing evocation spell effects that encourage family, home, birth, protection, sexual attraction, growth, healing, hearth fires, and rain storms. This includes the ability to produce effects along the lines of biomancy (page 284) with less of a requirement for biological expertise in the spellcaster – Freyja already understands biology pretty well and will do the heavy lifting for the caster – but with an evocation spell’s methods and speed. Freyja’s magic can take many forms but invariably it will be suffused with a warm golden light in some way (or possibly droplets of red-gold water, the signature color of Freyja’s tears).

Offline Sanctaphrax

• White Council
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #161 on: April 15, 2013, 11:45:23 PM »
And another one from Dallas.

-4 Sponsored Magic (Uriel)
Fate Point Debt: You’re in debt to an Archangel of God… they kinda get finicky about what you use the magic for and they’re really big on “accountability.” Make good choices.
Elements: Light, Flame, Free Will, Fair Play, Protection, Retribution, Truth
Thaumaturgy: In addition to the Elements, functions as thematic Photomancy with Evocation’s Method’s and Speed
Soulfire, for an additional -1 Refresh (bringing it to -5 total) this gains Soulfire’s ability to satisfy the Catch of any creature with Holy et al, plus downgrades the toughness of supernaturals by 1 step

Offline Sanctaphrax

• White Council
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #162 on: April 18, 2013, 10:23:28 PM »
TENGU MAGIC [-4]
Description: Drawing on the power of the Tengu Court , you're able to cast spells that fit its essential nature: wind, illusions, stealth,and mischief. These magics are under the sway and watch of the Tengu King Sojobo; making use of them will inevitably catch his notice.
Sponsor: The Tengu King and his Dai Tengu Nobles.
Agenda: Finding of worthy opponents and engaging them in a one on one duel or in general combat. Protecting forests and mountains from both mortal and supernatural destruction, taking vengeance for insults and perceived wrongs, and  destroying or subjugating opposing Youkai clans and courts.
Evocation: Tengu Magic evocations take the form of various ninjutsu involving veils and powerful gusts of wind.
Thaumaturgy: Tengu Magic rituals may be used to curse people, especially with disfigurement. Poisons, illusions, possession, telepathy, item creation, and general mischief are also possible.
Evothaum: Tengu Magic rituals can be cast with Evocation's speed and methods if they create illusions, allow telepathic communication, inflict poisons, or target mortals who are enemies of the tengu.
Extra Benefits: A character with Tengu Magic receives the Pack Instincts Power for free, with the tengu as their pack.

Offline narphoenix

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #163 on: May 05, 2013, 03:01:44 PM »
KINDLY MAGIC [-4]
Description: Drawing on the power of the Eumenides, the Kindly Ones, you have become an avatar of vengeance and champion of those wronged, especially by those victimized by family blood. You draw on magic of pure and powerful wrath in the pursuit of righting wrongs.
Sponsor: The Erin-Eumenides, the Kindly Ones
Agenda: Avenging the innocent, especially spilled family blood. Sponsor debt should push you toward vengeance at any cost.
Evocation: Kindly Magic draws on deep forms of measured wrath, calling up precise and vicious beams of fire, powerful and narrow blades of force, focused and terrifying bolts of lightning, and things of that nature.
Thaumaturgy: Kindly Rituals involve finding targets and taking vengeance on them, or protecting the innocent to destroy the guilty. Divination to find targets or innocents are top of the list, followed by Transformation and Disruption rituals to take vengeance from afar.
Evothaum: Divination to find targets may be cast with the speed and methods of Evocation.
Extra Benefits: Any divination performed with Kindly Magic cannot be counterspelled. It also works over Thresholds, running water, and, if a caster is mortal, even over enchanted circles.

This is my first shot at Sponsored Magic. Tell me what you think?
« Last Edit: May 05, 2013, 03:08:17 PM by narphoenix »
GMing:

Paranet 2250

Avatar from Scarfgirl and TheOtherChosenOne of Deviantart

Offline Sanctaphrax

• White Council
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #164 on: May 06, 2013, 05:41:05 AM »
Looks okay.

At first glance, I'd say you might be able to make it a little stronger.