Author Topic: Sponsored Magic Master List  (Read 84963 times)

Offline Lavecki121

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
Re: Sponsored Magic Master List
« Reply #120 on: February 22, 2013, 09:53:33 PM »
I think Sancta already did a death type one

Offline Hick Jr

• Posty McPostington
  • Actually just a jar full of bees attached to a CPU
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: February 23, 2013, 02:04:07 AM »
The Power of Death has some interesting ideas, but I was thinking more along the lines of the Discworld's DEATH or Good Omens Death. It's focused on being real. Much, much more real than everything else. War is almost ridiculously easy, but Famine is a little more complex. I'm thinking a beefed-up version of the Spell Eater power (see Thorned Namshiel) and the Aura of Influence power, with the applied aspect being INSANE HUNGER. I really like how Pestilence turned out. I suppose I should stat out the Horses.

Oh, and because there's technically an extra, i'll do Conquest.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2013, 02:51:31 AM by Hick Jr »
Hi! My home is called an apiary! I collect honey, and defend the Queen!

Not-so-secretly a power hungry megalomaniac with a Modular Abilities addiction.

Offline Hick Jr

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: February 23, 2013, 03:34:03 AM »
Here's Famine. I'm pretty happy with how it turned out. I like the White Court angle. And yes, the horse names are going to get very, very corny.

FAMINE [-4]
Description: You are heir to the power of hunger and despair, desperation and greed. You are Famine, or one of it's Emissaries. Famine is an elder spirit of Hunger, and his emissaries are vampires of the White Court.
Sponsor: The part of the human mind that is nothing but greed and hunger. This is where Famine lives.
Agenda: To cause famine, obviously, but in more than one sense. You make people hunger for everything. Famine wants you to want, without satisfaction. Ever. Because you are technically a servant of Heaven, you may occasionally be called upon to fulfill the goals of Heaven.
Evocation: You can manipulate lack. The absence of anything, and the hunger for everything. This translates into power over cold, darkness, ashes, dust and emotions like fear, despair, lust, and greed.
Thaumaturgy: You can instill mass hunger, strip the world of energy and life to create shadow and cold, and command spirits and scavengers. If it involves taking without giving anything back, it’s likely within your purview. For example, a Famine Ward simply eats magic that is thrown at it. A Famine Veil swallows light and sound and hope.
Evothaum: You may use psychomancy and entropomancy at Evocation’s speed and methods.
Extra Benefits: Gain the Aura of Influence power, applying the AURA OF FAMINE aspect. You also learn to, among things, eat magic. Whenever you successfully use a counterspell, you gain a +2 to the control and power to the next spell you cast in that scene. The bonus is not cumulative. Gain the Companion stunt, granting you a Hungarabian steed.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2013, 05:05:42 AM by Hick Jr »

Offline Hick Jr

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: February 23, 2013, 04:09:50 AM »
War, Death, and Conquest are a bit more difficult than I suspected they'd be. Would anyone be willing to try writing up characters for the one's i've posted so far? It's great fun.

Offline Sanctaphrax

• White Council
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: February 23, 2013, 05:39:43 AM »
Don't have time.

New magics look mostly fine, except that for some reason they have a double share of extra benefits.

And it seems weird that Famine evocations can be used for thaumaturgy-like effects that Famine rituals can't be used for.

PS: The companion rules deserve a disclaimer; they may or may not be any good.

Offline Hick Jr

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #125 on: February 23, 2013, 06:02:13 AM »
I'm actually sort of fuzzy on them myself. where can I reread? And you're supposed to be able to do the "hungry" emotional manipulation thing with ritual too, but if it's unclear i'll change it.

Also, both Extra Benefits are only worth one refresh. Possibly. Again, not super clear on the Companion rules.

Offline Sanctaphrax

• White Council
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: February 23, 2013, 06:14:54 AM »
You're only supposed to have 1 Refresh of extra benefits total.

I'm not just talking about emotional manipulation. Famine evocations can manipulate lack in general, Famine rituals apparently can't.

Here's a companion rules summary.

Offline Hick Jr

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: February 23, 2013, 06:43:57 AM »
Cold and darkness are defined as absences of energy That's what I meant by "strip the world of energy and life".

Hmm. I'd like the Horses to have Wings, Worldwalker or Swift Transition, Supernatural Speed at least, and some kind of stunt that increases the Survival skill of the person riding it for the purposes of riding it. So that seems to be four points of refresh spent? which is too much for a Sponsored Magic. It'd technically work with Wings and Swift Transition if you took No Mortal Home.

Offline Hick Jr

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: February 23, 2013, 07:15:30 AM »
Here's War and Conquest. I'll start working on Death tomorrow. And yes, Conquest's extra benefit is ridculously powerful depending on how many thralls you have. That's why it's priced up.

WAR [-4]
Description: You are heir to the power of wrath and steel, hate and strife. You are War, or one of it’s Emissaries. War is an elder spirit of Wrath, and his Emissaries are usually lycanthropes.
Sponsor: The part of your mind that tells you to kill indiscriminately, to strike down those who might strike you down first. War lives in the dark, reptile part of your brain that governs the Fight or Flight response.
Agenda: The creation or extension of strife, the instilling of wrath, the slaying of men. Because you are technically a servant of Heaven, you may occasionally be called upon to fulfill the goals of Heaven.
Evocation: War evocations tend to resemble metal, earth, or fire evocations, except used in their warlike forms. Metal attacks, for example, resemble hails of gunfire. Fire attacks look like artillery shelling. Earth blocks or maneuvers create battlements or foxholes.
Thaumaturgy: War rituals tend to push the minds of men away from peace and towards the strife your power loves. War rituals can also create incredibly complex weaponry, things far beyond the scope of normal conjuration. Creating a functioning, magical Howitzer is not outside the realm of possibility.
Evothaum: You can use conjuration and psychomancy at Evocation’s speed, but only for the creation of weapons and armor and the instillment of wrath, respectively.
Extra Benefits: War conjurations can create extremely complex weaponry. Furthermore, the base complexity required to create modern weaponry such as firearms and bombs is reduced by 2 shifts. In addition, this magic is not the will-power of wizards or the elemental power of the Sidhe- it is the strength of your arm, the sharpness of your eye, and the edge of your hate. You may replace Discipline with Guns or Weapons for the control and aiming of spells.

CONQUEST [-5]
Description: You are heir to the power of domination and command, mastery and baleful pride. You are Conquest, or one of it’s Emissaries. Because they are rulers of minds and men, Emissaries of Conquest tend to be psychomancers.
Sponsor: The part of your mind that still respects territory, and demands mastery over other, weaker men, and the destruction of the stronger. Conquest lives in the part of your brain that tells you to dominate.
Agenda: To dominate, in every sense of that word. The creation of thralls, rough or otherwise. To strike down established power and government and put yourself at the top.
Evocation:To the utter surprise of most, Conquest evocations most closely resemble wood or spirit (light)  evocations. Wise men speculate that this is because the Horsemen are forces of nature, and what better representation of man’s desire to rule than wood? Or light? The creeping vine chokes the tree to grow closer to the sun. Arrogant light drives away the darkness.
Thaumaturgy: Conquest evocations resemble psychomancy in essentially every way. Which, considering it’s a type of proto-psychomancy, is reasonable. It’s completely hostile, however- it can be used only to dominate and destroy.
Evothaum: You may use psychomancy with Evocation’s speed and methods.
Extra Benefit: For every thrall (Defined as a person who posesses the CONQUERED consequence) present in the scene with you, you gain the aspect CONQUEROR’S BOON along with one free tag on it.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2013, 04:49:20 AM by Hick Jr »

Offline Sanctaphrax

• White Council
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: February 24, 2013, 04:23:44 AM »
Cold and darkness are defined as absences of energy That's what I meant by "strip the world of energy and life".

You should probably clarify that.

It's probably worth including the ability to create advanced weapons with conjuration in War's Extra Benefits. It is, after all, an extra benefit.

Conquest rituals seem a bit limited. Ritual (Psychomancy) is probably strictly superior.

I strongly suggest you find a new Extra Benefit for Conquest. Uncapped variables are not a good idea. And consequences are a crummy way to represent enthralment.

Offline Hick Jr

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: February 24, 2013, 04:47:24 AM »
Okay. I'll clarify it.

Hmm. I am having trouble with clarity here. I'll make the change.

Do you have any suggestions for how to broaden it?

I was under the impression that was how enthrallment was represented. That or a High Concept change. So half of Conquest needs to go back to the drawing board. Ideas?

Edit- So after rereading the relevant literature, Conquest's stuff should probably involve diabolism somewhere along the line. A lot of the interpretations say that he's the Antichrist, which speaks of serious demonic mojo.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2013, 05:02:08 AM by Hick Jr »

Offline Sanctaphrax

• White Council
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: February 24, 2013, 05:01:13 AM »
Conquest rituals could probably create minions without damaging the magic's thematic consistency. If you don't like that, maybe some kind of metaphysical dominion over the world effect would be neat.

Enthralment can be represented in a bunch of different ways. Take-out narration would be my preferred method.

Maybe Conquest could give a benefit to Contacts, leadership, or social interaction.

Offline Hick Jr

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: February 24, 2013, 05:07:07 AM »
Following up on the Diabolism angle. Excellent. Possibly just granting the Reality Warper custom power.

Hm. Possibly being able to use Lore in place of Presence for the Charisma and Command trappings of that, or being able to Declare the presence of minions with Contacts?

Offline Hick Jr

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: February 24, 2013, 05:49:14 AM »
The revised Conquest. I like the idea of giving it Reality Warper as an Extra Benefit, but that's insanely powerful. I'm enamoured with the idea of a "faith vampire" who gains power from the worship of his thralls. Possibly some kind of Incite Emotion/Effect (Worship), with the thralls being able to take mental stress to give you more power. Or a Feeding Dependency. But for now, it's a simple skill switch.

CONQUEST [-4]
Description: You are heir to the power of domination and command, mastery and baleful pride. You are Conquest, or one of it’s Emissaries. Because they are rulers of minds and men, Emissaries of Conquest tend to be psychomancers.
Sponsor: The part of your mind that still respects territory, and demands mastery over other, weaker men, and the destruction of the stronger. Conquest lives in the part of your brain that tells you to dominate.
Agenda: To dominate, in every sense of that word. The creation of thralls, rough or otherwise. To strike down established power and government and put yourself at the top.
Evocation:To the utter surprise of most, Conquest evocations most closely resemble wood or spirit (light)  evocations. Wise men speculate that this is because the Horsemen are forces of nature, and what better representation of man’s desire to rule than wood? Or light? The creeping vine chokes the tree to grow closer to the sun. Arrogant light drives away the darkness.
Thaumaturgy: Conquest evocations resemble psychomancy in essentially every way. Which, considering it’s a type of proto-psychomancy, is reasonable. You also gain power over demons, and are able to command the hellspawn as easily as you are able to command men.
Evothaum: You may use psychomancy and diabolism with Evocation’s speed and methods.
Extra Benefit: You can use Lore in place of Presence for the Charisma and Command trappings of that skill.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2013, 06:08:49 AM by Hick Jr »

Offline Sanctaphrax

• White Council
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: February 24, 2013, 05:55:58 AM »
Much better.

Might even be possible to cut the cost down to 4. I mean, two stunts is more than you normally get as an Extra Benefit, but...that particular pair of trapping switches is unlikely to break anything.