Author Topic: Sponsored Magic Master List  (Read 85154 times)

Offline Hick Jr

• Posty McPostington
  • Actually just a jar full of bees attached to a CPU
    • View Profile
Re: Sponsored Magic Master List
« Reply #105 on: February 21, 2013, 12:06:56 AM »
I did another one. I may have a Sponsored Magic problem.

TENEBROMANCY [-4]
Description:You've learned to wield shadow magic, a dark reflection of normal magic. Contrary to popular belief, it isn't evil. It's dark. It's reflective. It isn't particularly nice. But then, neither is regular magic.
Sponsor:The collective ur-intellect composed of the world's billions of shadows.
Agenda:Shadows aren't really clever enough to have an agenda, but they'd like it if the sun went out, or was permanently eclipsed. Destroying sources of light is generally enough for them.
Evocation:Rather obviously, shadows. Besides manifesting corporeal shadows, you also mimic the conventional elements- their "shadow" copies. You can also manipulate reflections and mirrors.
Thaumaturgy: Tenebromantic rituals can obscure things, conjure objects out of shadow-matter, summon creatures of darkness, scry through shadows, teleport through shadows, and steal people's shadows.
Evothaum:You can use any ritual you can cast with Tenebromancy at Evocation's speed and methods.
Extra Benefits: You gain the effects of the Cloak of Shadows power. Also, you learn to reflect spells off bulwarks of darkness- if you successfully defend against an attack with an Evocation block, you may sacrifice your next action to turn that defense into an automatically successful attack, using the block strength as an attack roll, and the strength of the attack as Weapon rating.
Hi! My home is called an apiary! I collect honey, and defend the Queen!

Not-so-secretly a power hungry megalomaniac with a Modular Abilities addiction.

Offline Lavecki121

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: February 21, 2013, 12:09:43 AM »
This reminds me of that doctor who episode with the shadows

Offline Hick Jr

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: February 21, 2013, 12:14:53 AM »
Silence in the Library? The Vashta Nerada would make a really, really cool summon. Hm.

Offline Lavecki121

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: February 21, 2013, 12:51:38 AM »
Yea. That one. That would be cool

Offline Sanctaphrax

• White Council
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: February 21, 2013, 04:34:43 AM »
Looks a little strong.

I normally don't worry about how broad a Sponsored Magic's evocation is, but I think giving out every element is a bit much.

And while either of the two extra benefits would probably be fine, both together seems like too much.

Offline Deadmanwalking

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: February 21, 2013, 05:00:20 AM »
Yeah, I'm with Sanctaphrax.

Actually, I might go even farther, it's powerful already given it's scope of Evothaum without either Extra Benefit, and personally, I'd also say that simply and directly granting entire other powers wholesale is outside the scope of Sponsored Magic on it's own...at least without enhanced Refresh cost. So I don't feel that either Cloak of Shadows or what amounts to Riposte are appropriate extras per se.

Offline Sanctaphrax

• White Council
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: February 21, 2013, 05:25:58 AM »
Sponsored Magic gives little extra bonuses as a matter of course. Not sure why it should matter if those bonuses are similar (or identical) to an existing Power or Stunt.

And the evothaum is as broad as a single Ritual specialization, which is standard.

Offline Deadmanwalking

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: February 21, 2013, 05:32:03 AM »
Sponsored Magic gives little extra bonuses as a matter of course. Not sure why it should matter if those bonuses are similar (or identical) to an existing Power or Stunt.

The powers granted are not usually as powerful as a full -1 Refresh Power or Stunt, and more importantly IMO, thematically, are enhancements of the magic, not thematically related but non-magical or always on effects. I suppose the Riposte version wouldn't fall under the second problem, though it does under the first, but Cloak of Shadows definitely does.

And the evothaum is as broad as a single Ritual specialization, which is standard.

True, I suppose. Seems a bit broad to me, but I suppose that's more personal than anything.

Offline Mrmdubois

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: February 21, 2013, 08:15:35 AM »
My problem is more with the agenda.  Shadows don't exist without light so they'd be stupid to want the sun snuffed out.  D&D had the Shadowrealm consisting of twisted reflections, darker though not necessarily evil.  Finding something that works with that and the mirror like aspects of Tenebromancy could be cool.

Although this power does involve manipulating darkness as well, so maybe I needn't say anything.

As to the evocation riposte benefit, that's really cool.

Offline Hick Jr

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: February 21, 2013, 02:13:57 PM »
Hmm. I didn't mean the full element for the evocation thing, but i'll change it anyway. I just had a better idea.

Sanctaphrax has the right of it. It's basically an additional Thematic Thaumaturgy specialization.

The powers granted are not usually as powerful as a full -1 Refresh Power or Stunt, and more importantly IMO, thematically, are enhancements of the magic, not thematically related but non-magical or always on effects. I suppose the Riposte version wouldn't fall under the second problem, though it does under the first, but Cloak of Shadows definitely does.

Going to have to disagree with you here. Kemmlerian Necromancy provides what amounts to a Refinement and possibly a Stunt, Un/Seelie Magic provides a 1 Refresh power, and Hellfire grants a very broad Stunt. Cloak of Shadows is incredibly thematically appropriate, and explicitly magic.

My problem is more with the agenda.  Shadows don't exist without light so they'd be stupid to want the sun snuffed out.  D&D had the Shadowrealm consisting of twisted reflections, darker though not necessarily evil.  Finding something that works with that and the mirror like aspects of Tenebromancy could be cool.

Although this power does involve manipulating darkness as well, so maybe I needn't say anything.

As to the evocation riposte benefit, that's really cool.

The Plane of Shadows of DND 3.5 (I'm a Pathfinder fan m'self) was a lot of the inspiration for this SM, yeah. And like I said, shadows are sort of simple. The want to kill the sun because shadows are weaker, watered-down versions of darkness.

Also, changes i'll probably make
- Switch the Evocation elements to darkness, cold, mirrors, reflections, and gravity.
-Change the Cloak of Shadows extra benefit into "You gain a +1 to the power/complexity of your spell as long as you're casting it in the dark"
-And because the one I wrote specifically for Plant Magic turned out so well, i'll do a character for this. If I can find the time. 
« Last Edit: February 21, 2013, 11:50:04 PM by Hick Jr »

Offline Hick Jr

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: February 21, 2013, 02:45:26 PM »
The revised version.

TENEBROMANCY [-4]
Description:You've learned to wield shadow magic, a dark reflection of normal magic. Contrary to popular belief, it isn't evil. It's dark. It's reflective. It isn't particularly nice. But then, neither is regular magic.
Sponsor:The collective ur-intellect composed of the world's billions of shadows.
Agenda:Shadows aren't really clever enough to have an agenda, but they'd like it if the sun went out, or was permanently eclipsed. Destroying sources of light is generally enough for them. They also like it when you kill photomancers and Summerfae.
Evocation:Rather obviously, shadows. Besides manifesting corporeal shadows, you also manipulate cold, gravity, reflections, and mirrors.
Thaumaturgy: Tenebromantic rituals can obscure things, conjure objects out of shadow-matter, summon creatures of darkness, scry through shadows, teleport through shadows, and steal people's shadows.
Evothaum:You can use any ritual you can cast with Tenebromancy at Evocation's speed and methods.
Extra Benefits: You learn to reflect attacks off bulwarks of darkness- if you successfully defend against an attack with an Evocation block, you may sacrifice your next action to turn that defense into an automatically successful attack, using the block strength as an attack roll, and the strength of the attack as Weapon rating.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2013, 09:06:34 PM by Hick Jr »

Offline Sanctaphrax

• White Council
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: February 22, 2013, 04:49:01 AM »
I think the Riposte effect is enough of an extra benefit on its own, personally.

Offline Mrmdubois

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: February 22, 2013, 06:10:28 AM »
I think the Riposte effect is enough of an extra benefit on its own, personally.

Yeah, I agree.

Offline Hick Jr

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: February 22, 2013, 09:06:06 PM »
I suppose i'll bow to your judgement, then. Removed the complexity/control bonuses.

Offline Hick Jr

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: February 22, 2013, 09:24:57 PM »
Maybe I should slow down on these. I'll eventually do one for each Horseman, but Death is going to be quite the problem. The stats for each Horse are really up to the GM.

PESTILENCE [-4]
Description:You are heir to the power of bacteria and virus, pollution and plague. You are Pestilence, or one of it's Emissaries.
Sponsor:The ur-mind created by the semi-awareness of every virus, bacterium, and parasite in the world.
Agenda: To give people diseases, and to destroy institutions that would prevent the spread of disease. Because you are technically a servant of Heaven, you may occasionally be called upon to fulfill the goals of Heaven.
Evocation: You can manipulate blood and other vital fluids and systems. Because bacterium alone outnumber humanity a billion to one, you can throw around raw life force, a sort of corrupted Soulfire.
Thaumaturgy:The creation of disease. Surprise! Beyond the obvious, manipulation of biological systems and the creation of new life-forms. For example, a Pestilential Ward might create a type of magic-consuming airborne bacterium.
Evothuam: You may use Biomancy at Evocation's speed and methods.
Extra Benefits: You gain a +1 to Guns/Bows when using a bow. In addition, you gain the Companion stunt for a Virusteed, a type of magical horse.

« Last Edit: February 23, 2013, 03:38:24 AM by Hick Jr »