Author Topic: Sponsored Magic Master List  (Read 83803 times)

Offline Mrmdubois

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
Re: Sponsored Magic Master List
« Reply #60 on: January 28, 2013, 12:15:38 AM »
Homestuck rocks.  Seeing a sponsored magic inspired by it is pretty cool.

Offline Hick Jr

• Posty McPostington
  • Actually just a jar full of bees attached to a CPU
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: January 28, 2013, 12:22:44 AM »
I'd be willing to at least try doing homebrew Sponsored Magic for each Aspect (Light, Void, Space, Time, etc.), but they're ridiculously powerful.

Hmm. The Classes (Knight, Prince, Heir, Witch, etc.) would make for interesting Templates.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2013, 12:26:59 AM by Hick Jr »
Hi! My home is called an apiary! I collect honey, and defend the Queen!

Not-so-secretly a power hungry megalomaniac with a Modular Abilities addiction.

Offline Mrmdubois

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: January 28, 2013, 12:32:38 AM »
I never really got how exactly each of those things worked the classes and elements, but go for it.

Offline Hick Jr

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: January 28, 2013, 12:58:38 AM »
Some of them just can't be done. Hope, for example. And for a comprehensive explanation of the Aspects, http://mspaintadventures.wikia.com/wiki/Aspect

Offline Sanctaphrax

• White Council
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: January 28, 2013, 03:18:04 AM »
Why could Hope not be done?

Is there any reason that you couldn't represent the presumably-incredible power of Homestuck magic with Refinements?

Offline Hick Jr

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: January 28, 2013, 03:55:22 AM »
Because they're supernatural heavyweights. The level at which they gain full access to their powers is literally called "The God Tiers". They can make planet-wide supertornadoes, shrink stars down into the size of tennis balls and carry them around in their pockets, and time travel.

Their aspects could reasonably be represented by Sponsored Magics and the Classes (http://mspaintadventures.wikia.com/wiki/Class) represented by skill and power choices. Time, for example, is simple. It looks like this-

HERO OF TIME
Description: You are the Hero of Time for your session. You maintain the alpha timeline, prune offshoot "doomed" timelines, and manage stable time loops.
Sponsor: Self-sponsored.
Agenda:The maintenance of the Alpha Timeline, the creation of stable time loops, preventing Doomed timelines from coming about.
Evocation: Time magic does not grant any form of Evocation.
Thaumaturgy: Time rituals manipulate time, view into alternate timelines, and see the past and future.
Evothaum: You may use Chronomancy along with any ritual granted by being the Hero of Time at Evocation's speed and methods.
Extra Benefits:You gain a Supernatural Sense (Lore) for sensing temporal anomalies and disturbances.

But the problem is that your Class modifies how your Aspect is used. a Knight of Time weaponizes time, time travel, and stable loops in order to protect his allies. Whereas a Witch of Time manipulates time in order to break it's rules.

It's absurdly complex. I'd recommend you start reading Homestuck but that is a great way to flush your life down the drain.

Offline Hick Jr

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: January 28, 2013, 03:59:22 AM »
Sorry to double post, but the explanation for why Hope would be difficult-

Because Hope is one of the nebulous, vaguely-defined aspects. It's described as weaponized belief, "white science", and literal hope. That's Faith magic, which is explicitly a different thing than regular magic, "science", which is kind of an evocation element in the story, and possibly Psychomancy.

And now I want to play a Homestuck campaign. Curse you, Dubois.

Offline Mrmdubois

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: January 28, 2013, 04:02:17 AM »
Mission accomplished.  If you were to do a Homestuck campaign with DFRPG rules I think the most painless way to do it would be to assume that each shift gives a bigger narrative bang for its buck.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2013, 09:45:42 PM by Mrmdubois »

Offline Hick Jr

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: February 02, 2013, 07:22:34 PM »
That makes a kind of sense. Here's Light, by the way.

HERO OF LIGHT
Description: You are a Hero of Light. Besides the obvious, your powers are knowledge and fortune.
Sponsor: Self sponsored.
Agenda: The defense of knowledge against the Heroes of Void. Regulation of luck.
Evocation: The offensive abilities of a Hero of Light depend on their Class, but for Active/Combative classes like the Knight and the Prince, they learn to use their powers to attack with light itself, and manipulate fortune offensively, "stealing" their foes luck.
Thaumaturgy: Heroes of Light can make people lucky or unlucky, bring forth knowledge, create knowledge or illusion, and manipulate perception.
Evothaum: You may use Divination, Entropomancy, Photomancy, and Veils with evocation's speed and methods.
Extra Benefits: Gain an automatic +1 to Complexity/Control in Divination. You gain a +2 to Alertness and Lore for the purpose of Assessments and Declarations.

Oh, and I did a Sponsored Magic for the Chandrian, of Patrick Rothfuss's Kingkiller Chronicle. Because it's technically a curse and the agenda is really unpleasant, I cranked the power dial a bit.

Offline Sanctaphrax

• White Council
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: February 03, 2013, 09:41:45 PM »
Agenda does not affect power level.

Anyway, the Light magic looks a bit too good for 4 Refresh. The Extra benefits are worth like 2-3 Refresh, they should only be worth 1.

And I'd call stealing luck a form of Evothaum.

Offline Hick Jr

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: February 03, 2013, 10:35:17 PM »
I was given to understand that was why Soulfire was priced up-it doesn't bind you to a Court of amoral inhumans, force you to work for literal demons, or raise the dead. And besides, when I said it was a curse, I really wasn't kidding. There's a Myrk variant that provides nothing but a -2 to every social skill with anyone who knows what they are. If you possess this, you're being hunted. By everyone. Nobody likes the Chandrian.

I didn't price Light for basically that reason.

I'd thought of it as a form of Entropomancy.

Offline Sanctaphrax

• White Council
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: February 04, 2013, 05:52:25 AM »
Soulfire does 5 Refresh worth of stuff, agenda aside.

If you want to give some kind of Sponsored Magic a mechanical drawback in exchange for extra power that might work. But agenda Compels, like all Compels, are cost-neutral.

Offline Hick Jr

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: February 05, 2013, 12:18:39 AM »
Yep. The mechanical drawbacks suck. Do you want me to just post it? I've got a version i'm pretty happy with. It involves Outsiders, possibly Drakul but I wrote the sponsor to be setting-neutral, and the Great Attractor.

Offline Sanctaphrax

• White Council
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: February 05, 2013, 11:03:55 PM »
Sure, go ahead and post it.

Offline Hick Jr

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: February 06, 2013, 03:39:38 AM »
Okay. This is the Canonical version. It's true to the story (The Name of the Wind! Read it ! REEAAAD IIIITTTT) so far, but I had to make some assumptions because the Chandrian have only "appeared" three times over the course of two thousand page books. The version I made for use in the Dresdenverse is basically this with some backstory and evocation from Green Sun Magic taped on. The explanation for why the Chandrian exist in the DV is in the spoiler, which contains Cold Days spoilers.

*I can't decide on whether to run the Signs as a variation on Myrk or using the Aura of Influence custom power. One applies the aspect to the zone, the other to the scene. It makes more sense as a scene aspect, but I don't like that you don't get a tag on it.

Curse of the Seven [-4]
Description: You’re one of the Chandrian, the Seven chosen of darkness. Your power is blood and shadow and rot and madness. And hate. Hate like iron and bitter rue.
Sponsor: None are certain. Not even the Seven themselves. Possibly some dark god, possibly the primal chaos and darkness that came before Man, in his arrogance, lit a candle. Possibly the ancient Wyldfae known as the Cthaeh, a flawlessly malevolent, perfectly accurate oracle.
Agenda: The acceleration of entropy. Destruction of evidence of themselves, remaining secret. The death of good creatures like angels. Because of the fact that the Chandrian make a point of slaughtering anyone who knows they exist beyond half-remembered tales, not much is known about what they want. It’s suspected they guard the world from  far more terrible beings than themselves, but nobody’s ever lived to corroborate that. Speaking with one of the Seven is taking your life into your hands.
Evocation: Your power is in the things that man fears, and the Signs. Blood, shadows, silence, smoke, the weather, entropy, chill, madness, decay, and the void all answer your call. The Curse grants knowledge of the Names of all things, granting you the ability to manipulate raw elemental energy.
Thaumaturgy: The Curse of Seven’s rituals are nightmare things meant only to bend, break, or destroy. Preservation and protection are anathema to your power. It grants the ability to curse people, accelerate entropy, raise the dead, erase knowledge, bend or break the minds of men, and prophecy.
Evothaum: You may use entropomancy, necromancy, psychomancy, and divination at Evocation’s speed and methods.
Extra “Benefits”: You begin to display the Signs- with your presence, flames turn blue, wood rots, liquids freeze, iron rusts, animals go mad, and silence falls. Any zone you are in gains the SIGNS OF THE SEVEN sticky aspect. Because this power is a curse, it is not without detriment. You will be hunted by any good or righteous creature, and some of the evil ones. You take a -2 penalty on all social rolls except Intimidation with beings who know who and what you are, and there is almost no potential for friendly interaction. People gain a +2 to any check to successfully identify you as one of the Seven if the Signs are obvious or visible. Your power is fueled by the hunger that lurks at the end of everything, and it is a dark hunger. If you possess Emotional Vampire, Blood Drinker, or any type of Feeding Dependency, you may now only satisfy it with souls.

(click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: February 07, 2013, 03:39:19 AM by Hick Jr »