Author Topic: Sponsored Magic Master List  (Read 83776 times)

Offline Sanctaphrax

• White Council
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
Re: Sponsored Magic Master List
« Reply #45 on: August 04, 2012, 03:29:45 AM »
Another Sponsored Magic for y'all.

Opinions wanted.

DRACULA MAGIC [-4]
Description: Dracula has a magic of his own. It's not clear exactly why; perhaps he's simply too powerful not to have his own brand of magic.
Sponsor: Dracula is the source of this magic.
Agenda: It's not entirely clear what Dracula wants.
Evocation: Dracula's Evocations generally work by manipulating blood, the weather, or people's minds. But the occasional necromantic blast is not unheard of.
Thaumaturgy: Dracula's rituals are generally associated with his curse, the weather, psychomancy, entropomancy, and necromancy.
Evothaum: Any ritual that could be cast with Dracula Magic may be cast with the speed and methods of Evocation.
Extra Benefits: Dracula Magic Evocations may be used to inflict mental stress. This costs five shifts; a weapon 2 mental attack is as difficult to cast as a weapon 7 physical attack. And so on.

Offline Sanctaphrax

• White Council
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: September 16, 2012, 10:11:26 AM »
Those of you with long memories might remember this guy.

I really liked the Sponsored Magic idea I had for that guy, but I don't believe I ever wrote it up properly. Only recently did I realize that it would fit well into the Superior X series. So without any further ado...

SUPERIOR TRANSFORMATION [-2]
Description: A master wizard can refine her skills in a particular area so fully that her abilities are qualitatively different from those of a normal mage. While normal specialization simply makes one faster and stronger and more effective, this level of focus provides entirely new capabilities. Legends tell of wizards who can turn their foes into frogs with waves of their hands.
Musts: You must have both Evocation and Thaumaturgy with at least some specialization in Transformation and Disruption in order to take this power.
Sponsor: This magic is self-sponsored.
Agenda: As self-sponsored magic, this power lacks an agenda.
Evocation: Superior Transformation evocations transform things. Opponents taken out with them may be turned into frogs or statues or all kinds of other things.
Thaumaturgy: Superior Transformation does not provide any form of Thaumaturgy.
Evothaum: Superior Transformation allows its user to cast Transformation and Disruption rituals with the speed and methods of Evocation.
Extra Benefits: Superior Transformation allows its user to apply her Transformation and Disruption complexity and control bonuses in place of her power and control bonuses for transformative evocations respectively. Transformation and Disruption foci should be designated as offensive or defensive for the purposes of Evocation, but work normally for Thaumaturgy.

Offline Sanctaphrax

• White Council
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: September 22, 2012, 03:26:55 AM »
No objections, huh?

I guess it goes on the list then.

Offline Hick Jr

• Posty McPostington
  • Actually just a jar full of bees attached to a CPU
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: January 04, 2013, 04:36:41 AM »
Here's my two cents.

VULCANOMANCY [-4]
Description: The ancient power that lurks beneath the Earth’s crust. Primarily lava, but also governs other tectonics.
Sponsor: Volcano and forge gods, generally. (Pele, Vulcan, Hephaestus, Goibhniu) Can be self-sponsored with a mastery of both earth and fire or carrying a volcanic bloodline.
Agenda: Unexpected and swift destruction. The forging of tools and weapons. If self-sponsored, your own agenda.
Evocation: Vulcanomantic evocations generally involve lava, heat, ash, obsidian, basalt  earth, tectonics, earthquakes, fire, or metals.
Ritual: Vulcanomancy allows for rituals that create things, generally weapons and armor, and the creation of protective items and effects, such as armor and wards. Very, Very, VERY powerful Vulcanomancers may actually be able to cause earthquakes and make volcanos erupt.
Evothaum: Vulcanomancy can be used to create Wards and Conjurations at evocation’s speed and methods.
Extra Benefits: Add +2 to Frequency and Strength for Crafting, as long as you are forging the item.Add +2 to the Complexity of anything created with Conjuration, as long as it is a weapon or armor. Wards created by Vulcanomancy do not require a threshold as long as they have a physical base (a circle, a line of barbed wire, a chain-link fence).

STORM MAGIC [-4]
Description: The furious, unending power of the thunderstorm. Extends to most other types of weather. Subtlety is almost impossible with this power-even it’s veils are massive fog banks.
Sponsor:Can be gained in a number of ways- A weather deity’s boon, a thunderbird ancestor. It’s often self-sponsored, gained by aeromancers who learn the way of the storm.
Agenda: Once a user becomes powerful enough, the creation of storms. Destruction, uncontrolled.
Evocation: Storm evocations generally involve what you’d expect. Lightning, tornado-force winds, sonic booms, rain, water, fog, mists, ice, air pressure.
Thaumaturgy: Storm rituals destroy things. Violently. They’re also capable of altering the weather. Can also be used to scry through clouds and rain, and on storms.
Evothaum: Storm Magic can be used to create entropomantic and divination effects at Evocation’s speed.
Extra Benefits: Add +3 to the power/complexity and control of any Storm spell if the caster is outside during a storm.
Hi! My home is called an apiary! I collect honey, and defend the Queen!

Not-so-secretly a power hungry megalomaniac with a Modular Abilities addiction.

Offline Sanctaphrax

• White Council
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: January 07, 2013, 09:45:02 PM »
Here's one that I composed for an Item of Power. I'm pretty happy with how it turned out, but please don't hesitate to point out any problems it may have.

PLANT MAGIC [-4]
Description: You draw upon the power of the world's plant life. It's a pretty simple form of magic, but a powerful one.
Sponsor: The collective ur-mind of all plants everywhere.
Agenda: Plants are not smart enough to have an actual agenda, but as a general rule plants like growing and dislike dying.
Evocation: Plant evocations work by creating and manipulating plants. Surprise!
Thaumaturgy: Plant Magic can be used to cast rituals that have to do with plants. It can make plants grow, give plants magical properties, create plant matter out of nowhere, turn people into plants, and so on.
Evothaum: Spells that make plants grow can be cast with Evocation's speed and methods using Plant Magic.
Extra Benefits: You get the Echoes Of The Beast Power, with plants as your beast. This adds one to your Alertness and Survival skills in plant-rich areas and lets you talk to plants.

Offline 123456789blaaa

• Posty McPostington
  • Proud member of the Purple Court.
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: January 09, 2013, 11:05:15 PM »
Another Sponsored Magic for y'all.

Opinions wanted.

DRACULA MAGIC [-4]
Description: Dracula has a magic of his own. It's not clear exactly why; perhaps he's simply too powerful not to have his own brand of magic.
Sponsor: Dracula is the source of this magic.
Agenda: It's not entirely clear what Dracula wants.
Evocation: Dracula's Evocations generally work by manipulating blood, the weather, or people's minds. But the occasional necromantic blast is not unheard of.
Thaumaturgy: Dracula's rituals are generally associated with his curse, the weather, psychomancy, entropomancy, and necromancy.
Evothaum: Any ritual that could be cast with Dracula Magic may be cast with the speed and methods of Evocation.
Extra Benefits: Dracula Magic Evocations may be used to inflict mental stress. This costs five shifts; a weapon 2 mental attack is as difficult to cast as a weapon 7 physical attack. And so on.

I'm not sure why I find this so hilarious...
Please, call me Count :).

Thanks go to Shecky for the nickname and Serack for the avatar ^,..,^

Offline Hick Jr

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: January 20, 2013, 06:55:16 PM »
Three sponsored magics. Vulcanomancy's extra benefits may be unbalanced, so be wary of using it.

ONEIROMANCY [-5]
Description: You have mastered the powers of Sleep and Dreams. Far more powerful than most believe, Dreams and Reality are a wyrm biting its own tail- they both tell each other what they are, all the time.
Sponsor: Ancient gods of sleep, the ever-moving moon. Can be self sponsored, but generally among psychomancers, Nightmare changelings, or denizens of the Dreaming.
Agenda: “And now to sleep, perchance to dream...”. You put people to sleep and give them dreams or nightmares. Compels to knock people out and eat their dreams. Oneiromancers are cold and proud. Punish those who slight you.
Evocation: Oneiromancy evocations involve direct mental assault, shadows, sand, reflections,  perception, dreams, dreamfire, sleep, and the manipulation of oneiroplasm (psychically charged ectoplasm) to create objects.
Thaumaturgy: Oneiromancy rituals involve putting people to sleep, prophetic dreams, sending messages in dreams, and the manipulation of perception. On the darker side, you can call up Nightmares (middling fetches) that take the shape of the target’s worst one.
Evothaum: You gain the ability to use Psychomancy, Summoning , and Conjuration at Evocation’s speed and methods.
Extra Benefits:
-The Dreamtime
Gain the Demesne power when in the Dreaming. It is, literally, the stuff of dreams, and dreams are yours to command.
-Dreamsense
You can use Lore in place of Empathy for the Reading People and Social Defense trappings of that skill.

STORM MAGIC [-4]
Description: The furious, unending power of the thunderstorm. Extends to most other types of weather. Subtlety is almost impossible with this power-even it’s veils are massive fog banks.
Sponsor:Can be gained in a number of ways- A weather deity’s boon, a thunderbird ancestor. It’s often self-sponsored, gained by aeromancers who learn the way of the storm.
Agenda: Once a user becomes powerful enough, the creation of storms. Destruction, uncontrolled.
Evocation: Storm evocations generally involve what you’d expect. Lightning, tornado-force winds, sonic booms, rain, water, fog, mists, ice, air pressure.
Thaumaturgy: Storm rituals destroy things. Violently. They’re also capable of altering the weather. Can also be used to scry through clouds and rain, and on storms.
Evothaum: Storm Magic can be used to create entropomantic and divination effects at Evocation’s speed.
Extra Benefits: Add +2 to the power/complexity and control of any Storm spell if the caster is outside during a storm.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2013, 09:20:57 PM by Hick Jr »

Offline Sanctaphrax

• White Council
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: January 20, 2013, 10:09:34 PM »
Storm Magic still seems a bit strong, but in a game where storms are rare it could work fine.

I don't see Vulcanomancy here.

Offline Hick Jr

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: January 20, 2013, 10:51:10 PM »
Stupid insomnia. The work of the anarcho-dsytopic hobs that live in the earth's core, i suspect.

VULCANOMANCY [-4]
Description: The ancient power that lurks beneath the Earth’s crust. Primarily lava, but also governs other tectonics.
Sponsor: Volcano and forge gods, generally. (Pele, Vulcan, Hephaestus, Goibniu) Can be self-sponsored with a mastery of both earth and fire or carrying a volcanic bloodline.
Agenda: Unexpected and swift destruction. The forging of tools and weapons. If self-sponsored, your own agenda.
Evocation: Vulcanomantic evocations generally involve lava, heat, ash, obsidian, basalt  earth, tectonics, earthquakes, fire, or metals.
Ritual: Vulcanomancy allows for rituals that create things, generally weapons and armor, and the creation of protective items and effects, such as armor and wards. Very, Very, VERY powerful Vulcanomancers may actually be able to cause earthquakes and make volcanos erupt.
Evothaum: Vulcanomancy can be used to create Wards and Conjurations at evocation’s speed and methods.
Extra Benefits: Weapons  conjured by Vulcanomancers are far more powerful than others- multiply the the number of shifts put into the Conjuration by 1.5- This is the effective Weapon rating of whatever you have conjured. Armor rating is equal to half of the total shifts. However, you must set aside shifts for duration, using Evocation's rules. These weapons fall to useless volcanic ash when they leave your posession. Wards created by Vulcanomancy do not require a threshold as long as they involve the aforementioned ashes (Sprinkled on the outside of a building, used in a circle, etc).

Edit- I was considering removing the Demesne part of Oneiromancy and adding a Kemmlerian esque- "you may use your Psychomancy control bonus as long as it involves the evocation elements or dreams" and an automatic Specialization. Balanced?
« Last Edit: January 27, 2013, 09:18:24 PM by Hick Jr »

Offline Sanctaphrax

• White Council
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: January 21, 2013, 07:48:30 PM »
Yeah, those extra benefits seem a bit much to me.

Edit- I was considering removing the Demesne part of Oneiromancy and adding a Kemmlerian esque- "you may use your Psychomancy control bonus as long as it involves the evocation elements or dreams" and an automatic Specialization. Balanced?

Iffy.

I dunno, maybe you could get away with it. I like the current version better though.

Offline Hick Jr

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: January 23, 2013, 03:33:46 AM »
I was considering the change specifically because not everyone's campaign would include the Dreaming. I guess it could go either way.

Offline Mrmdubois

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: January 24, 2013, 08:42:44 PM »
Technically the Dreaming could just be defined as a Nevernever bubble (like in Grave Peril) possibly loosely connected with other such bubbles for some reason or other.

Offline Hick Jr

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: January 27, 2013, 08:19:00 AM »
Heh. Dream bubble.

Sorry. Homestuck joke. And as a flawless segue into this, a Sponsored Magic I wrote to represent the First Guardians! I priced it at [-4] because the agenda is absolutely not an option. If have this, you're a daemon, daemon-blooded, or bloody clever and being hunted by daemons.

Green Sun Magic [-4]
Description: The Green Sun is the collected energy of the dead stars in alternate universes that have already ended. In fact, it’s what alternate universes and timelines orbit. The Green Sun is one of the secondary safeguards against the Outside- If you look closely from the Outer Gates, it’s visible in the sky. Green Sun magic tends to be wielded only by daemons (The DV version of Homeland Security vs. the Outside) and is extremely difficult for mortal practitioners to obtain.
Sponsor: Lord English, the daemonic personification of the Sun in the same way Mab is the personification of Winter. Among his lieutenants, usually self-sponsored.
Agenda: The destruction of Outsiders and their agents, the acceleration of entropy, unrestricted destruction and mayhem. The careful manipulations required to facilitate the prevention of spacetime breaches or paradox.
Evocation: The Green Sun is, basically, a star, and it is much more than a star. It’s evocations involve sunlight, solar fire, nuclear reactions and forces, gravity, electromagnetism, space, time, and entropy.
Thaumaturgy:The Green Sun’s rituals are evocative of the mythological image of a sun or sun god- They can heal, inspire, grant power, bring plagues, prophecy, and obliterate foes. The unique abilities of the Green Sun also come into play- It can warp time, bend space, accelerate entropy, and summon or banish demons and Outsiders.
Evothaum: You may employ the full range of thaumaturgical effects with Evocation’s speed and methods, so long as they incorporate one of the above ritual or evocative elements.
Extra Benefits: Gain an automatic +1 to Complexity/Control of Green Sun rituals. You may use these bonuses for Evocation as long as the spell incorporates one of the above elements. Green Sun spells may fully satisfy the Catch for Outsiders and their ilk.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2013, 05:00:19 PM by Hick Jr »

Offline Sanctaphrax

• White Council
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: January 27, 2013, 09:09:19 PM »
Looks more or less fine to me.

Offline Hick Jr

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: January 27, 2013, 09:16:12 PM »
Huh. I must have weird standards.

By the way, i'll repost the sponsored magics from my templates over to here. Or i'll edit my original posts.