Author Topic: Hippolyta's Girdle  (Read 1655 times)

Offline InFerrumVeritas

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
Hippolyta's Girdle
« on: February 23, 2012, 11:14:16 PM »
My group's on a quest to get Hippolyta's girdle.  Something about a descendant of Herakles pissing off some Amazons.  But knowing them, they'll probably try to use it, which means I have to stat it up.  Please critique:

Hippolyta’s Girdle [-4]
Description: You possess the golden girdle of Hippolyta, the Amazon’s greatest queen.  Beware, the changes it enables can fracture your identity and corrupt your sense of self.
Musts: Only women may wear the girdle.  
Skills Affected: Varies.
Effects:
Like a Greek Goddess. You may take on an alternate form as a supplemental action by inflicting a 2-stress mental hit on yourself.  You become taller, more beautiful, more powerfully and athletically built, and youthful.  When in this form, you have Inhuman Strength (YS183) and Inhuman Speed (YS178).

Honest Report. It is important for the leader of a warrior people to get honest intel from her subordinates.  Once per scene, for a fate point, the wearer of the girdle may compel a target to tell the truth.  The target is unable to lie, but may still deceive through omission or technical truths.  

Skills of an Amazon.  The wearer of the Girdle gains the skills of an Amazon when using the Like a Greek Goddess effect.  For most women, this makes them highly skilled warriors.  You may shuffle around your skills (as the Skill Shuffle effect of Beast Change on YS174), as long as you maintain two of the following skills in your highest tier: Might, Endurance, Weapons, Fists, Archery (Guns).

Human Form. When not using the Like a Greek Goddess effect, you’re just a regular woman.  You do not have access to Inhuman Strength, Inhuman Speed, or the Skills of an Amazon effect.  You may still use the Armor of the Gods effect below, however.
Armor of the Gods. The Girdle can draw upon the power of Olympus to protect its wearer, but controlling such energies taxes the mortal mind.  You may boost your Armor Rating by inflicting a mental stress hit upon yourself, gaining +2 Armor for each point of stress in the hit.  The bonus cannot exceed the total number of stress boxes in your mental stress track and lasts until the beginning of your next turn.

Total Recovery. While wearing the Girdle, you’re able to recover from physical harm that would leave a normal person permanently damaged. You can recover totally from any consequence—excluding extreme physical ones—with no other excuse besides time; simply waiting long enough will eventually heal you completely.
Unbreakable. As an Item of Power, it cannot be broken, save through dedicated magical ritual predicated upon perverting its purpose.

It’s Armor. The Girdle is a wide golden bronze belt forged in Hephaestus’ smithy.  It provides Armor 1 against physical attacks.

Discount Already Applied. As an Item of Power, the Girdle already includes the one-time discount (YS167). This means that if you possess more than one Item of Power, the one-time discount will not apply on that second item. If the Hippolyta’s Girdle is the second or subsequent artifact the you gain, the refresh cost is −6.

Yes, basically it'll make someone Wonder Woman.

Offline UmbraLux

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
Re: Hippolyta's Girdle
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2012, 12:35:44 AM »
My group's on a quest to get Hippolyta's girdle.  Something about a descendant of Herakles pissing off some Amazons.  But knowing them, they'll probably try to use it, which means I have to stat it up. 
Remember, they'll need to spend fate points to use it.  ;)

Please critique:

Hippolyta’s Girdle [-4]
The only real question I have is Total Recovery - it looks like Wizard's Constitution reskinned.  While I don't see anything wrong with reskinning it, it doesn't appear that useful.  In order for it to work as part of an IoP, you'd have to wear it 24/7...for months or even years depending on the injury.  I'd be tempted to spend a couple more refresh on it and bump it up to Inhuman Recovery.
--
“As our circle of knowledge expands, so does the circumference of darkness surrounding it.”  - Albert Einstein

"Rudeness is a weak imitation of strength."  - Eric Hoffer

Offline Silverblaze

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2012, 02:25:26 AM »
A PC could use refresh to buy the girdle also couldn't they?

Offline devonapple

• Posty McPostington
  • Parkour to YOU!
    • View Profile
    • LiveJournal Account
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2012, 04:20:36 AM »
A PC could use refresh to buy the girdle also couldn't they?

Of course, but few PCs have 4 Refresh laying around (or 6, if it was a Pure Mortal).
"Like a voice, like a crack, like a whispering shriek
That echoes on like it’s carpet-bombing feverish white jungles of thought
That I’m positive are not even mine"

Blackout, The Darkest of the Hillside Thickets

Offline InFerrumVeritas

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2012, 04:32:00 AM »
We've got three pure mortals with almost that to spare.  I'm planning a major milestone coming up.

Offline Sanctaphrax

• White Council
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2012, 07:03:59 AM »
Pretty good, except for the mental stress hitting parts. The transformation hit looks unnecessary and the armour power looks too strong.

Lemme break down the cost...

+1 Human Form
-1 Beast Change
-2 Inhuman Strength
-2 Inhuman Speed
-1 Armour Of The Gods
-1 Honest Report

Is that accurate?

PS: There's a list that this could go on.

Offline InFerrumVeritas

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2012, 12:01:27 PM »
Yep.  The mental stress for transforming is mostly for flavor, but also to help balance the fact that I see beast change without thematic limitations (you're still human, you can move knowledge around, etc).  I had Armor of the Gods as -2 with a +1 for it causing mental stress to transform (sort of like feeding dependancy.

Offline Praxidicae

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2012, 01:53:00 PM »
Nice item.

I would be half tempted to add an additional feature, removing the gender requirement, and add a quirk similar to the D&D "Girdle of Femininity", in that any male that trys to wear it will be gender-swapped into a female counterpart.

Cue hijinks as male PC's try to decide if the benefits of the belt outweigh the cost of their masculinity. For bonus points, don't tell them about this beforehand. (Mechanically I'm not sure how this would work; the belt would probably have to apply a sticky aspect of "Genderswapped" onto the character for it to have any concievable mechanical effect)

Offline Becq

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 24, 2012, 09:36:57 PM »
If you don't mind a little comedy, I vote for Praxidicae's idea.  :)  As for the mechanics, keep in mind that any IoP must have a relevant aspect attached to it.  So perhaps this item's aspect should be "I am strong!  I am invicible!  I am womaaaan!"

Offline Richard_Chilton

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 24, 2012, 11:48:27 PM »
(Mechanically I'm not sure how this would work; the belt would probably have to apply a sticky aspect of "Genderswapped" onto the character for it to have any concievable mechanical effect)

If a spell (or belt) can turn someone into a wolf, then a spell can switch genders.  A simple transformation spell worked into the belt...

You could call it a curse, assigning it +1 refresh (if applicable) value.  That way it would cost one less refresh for a male to use - which ups the ante a bit more.

Richard