Author Topic: I need opinions on my PC's  (Read 1699 times)

Offline MWKilduff

• Participant
    • View Profile
I need opinions on my PC's
« on: February 23, 2012, 12:31:21 AM »
My group has a few characters that I wanted to get some opinions whether or not they are built right and if there are any pitfalls I should beware.

Supernatural Shaolin Monk (Submerged)
High Concept: White Crane Style Master
Trouble: Don’t Mess with the Qi
Aspects: Those without balance strike 1st
Never lost a fight
Liaison to the White Council
Red Court Vampires… They don’t like me so much!
Odd Man Out

35 points in Skills: Conviction +5
Fists and Athletics +4
Discipline, Endurance and Might +3
Lore, Presence, Stealth and Alertness +2
Survival, Empathy, Scholarship, Contacts and Resources +1

Stunts and Powers: -1 Guide my hand
-2 Inhuman Speed
-1 Inhuman Toughness (True Magic)
-1 Martial Artist
-1 Lethal Weapon (fists = weapon 2)
-1 Redirect Force
-1 Armed Arts (san jie guen: tri-section staff; ta mo cane: cane)
Base Refresh 10 Adjusted Refresh 2

Changling (Submerged)
High Concept: Agent of the Rogue Court
Trouble Aspect: I Serve Two Masters
Aspects: Broken but not beaten
I’m a real wyld one
No one knows my name
Lines are meant to be crossed – or not…
All the right friends in all the wrong places

35 points in Skills: Deceit +5
Guns and Burglary +4
Alertness, Contacts and Athletics +3
Weapons, Stealth, Investigation, Endurance and Conviction +2
Discipline, Lore, Presence, Resources and Fists +1

Stunts and Powers: -2 Glamours
-4 True Shapeshifting
-1 Supernatural Toughness (Cold Iron Catch)
-2 Inhuman Speed)
Base Refresh 10 Adjusted Refresh 1

White Council Wizard (Submerged)
High Concept: Warden of the White Council
Trouble: Dad’s got enemies
Aspects: My Life is Magic
Never Again
All roads lead to truth
Duty before all else
Don’t fear the reaper

35 points in Skills: Conviction and Discipline +5
Lore and Endurance +4
Weapons and Athletics +3
Alertness, Presence, and Contacts +2
Scholarship, Survival, Investigation, Resources and Intimidate +1

Stunts and Powers: -3 Evocation
Elements: Earth +1 Power +1 Control, Spirit +1 Control and Water
-3 Thaumaturgy
Biomancy +1 Control
-1 The Sight
0 Soulgaze
0 Wizard’s Constitution
-2 Refinement
Base Refresh 10 Adjusted Refresh 1

Magic Items
Mother’s Ring (Focus)
   +1 Control Biomancy
Warden Sword (Enchanted Item)
Staff (Focus)
   +1 Offensive Control, +1 Power to earth Evocations
Trench Coat (Enchanted Item)
   Armor 3   3 uses/session
Stimulant (enchanted Item)

Spell List
Earth Spells
   Earth Glaive (Rote)   Offensive Attack
      Power: 7   Weapon: 7   Duration: one action
      Control: Roll Disc + Focus + Spec      Target: Up to 7
      Opposed by: Athletics
   Shockwave   Offensive Maneuver
      Power: 5   Effect: 4   Distance: +1 (2 Zones)
      Control: Roll Disc + Focus + Spec      Duration: 1 Exchange
Opposed by: Athletics   Applied Tag: Prone
   Golem Fist (Rote)   Defensive Maneuver
      Power: 7   Effect: 5   Duration: +2
      Control: Roll Disc + Focus + Spec      Duration: 3 Exchanges
      Opposed by: Might   Applied tag: Immobile

Water Spells
   Entropy Shield   Defensive Block
      Power: 5   Effect: 4   Duration +1
      Control: Roll Disc + Focus + Spec      Duration: 2 Exchanges
      Acts as a Block 4 or Armor 2
   Entropy Whip   Offensive Attack
      Power: 5   Weapon: 5   Duration: one Action
      Control: Roll Disc + Focus + Spec      Target: Up to 5
      Opposed by Athletics

Ice Storm   Offensive Maneuver
      Power: 5    Effect: 3   Distance: +1 (2 Zones)
      Control: Roll Disc + Focus + Spec      Duration: 1 Exchange   
      Opposed by: Athletics   Applied Tag: Blind
Spirit Spells
   Veil (Rote)   Defensive Block
      Power: 5   Effect: 4   Duration: +1
      Opposed by: Alertness      Applied tag: Invisible
   Spirit Shield   Defensive Block
      Power: 5   Effect: 4   Duration +1
      Acts as a Block 4 or Armor 2
   Spirit Shard (Rote)   Offensive Attack
      Power: 5   Weapon: 5   Duration: one action
      Control: Roll Disc + Focus + Spec      Target: Up to 6
      Opposed by: Athletics
A wink, a smile, and a whole lot more!

Offline Cowboy

• Participant
    • View Profile
Re: I need opinions on my PC's
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2012, 03:53:45 PM »
For the monk I would change Lethal Weapon to Claws, calling it iron palm, dragon fist, eagle fire claw or any other awesome Kung fu name. Then drop armed arts,as  he really won't need weapons anymore. Either bank the fate point or get Wings for the awesome Kung Fu flying leaps. You might give him some more negative aspects, as he'll need lots of fate points to enhance his Kung fu. "Broken English", "Incapable of deceit", "Vow of silence" something that will be compelled and self compelled all the time.

Offline Silverblaze

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2012, 04:45:07 PM »
Monk: pretty much fine.  The aspect "Never Lost a Fight" you might want to make him/her change the first time he/she does lose one.  I agree a negative or double sided aspect would be wise to add to that character.

Offline Becq

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2012, 12:45:07 AM »
Monk: pretty much fine.  The aspect "Never Lost a Fight" you might want to make him/her change the first time he/she does lose one.  I agree a negative or double sided aspect would be wise to add to that character.
Or ... use the aspect to compel him to stay into the fight long past the point common sense would dictate a concession.  Then the extreme consequence fixes the issue.  :)

Offline Sanctaphrax

• White Council
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2012, 07:24:37 AM »
They look mechanically sound, though I'm surprised to see True Shapeshifting.

I agree about giving Kung-Fu dude Claws.

Hard to say more without seeing backstories.

PS: The Spare Character Concepts thread is calling you...

Offline MWKilduff

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2012, 11:57:11 AM »
Thanks for the feedback.  I was more concerned with the mechanics since I am still pretty new to the system.  I like that this character is playing with true shapeshifting.  I know it is not too powerful, but when you build a skill based character it allows the character to really expand the skills they have at a high level.

Offline Kiero

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2012, 02:14:47 PM »
Agree with those saying replace Lethal Weapon with Claws. Otherwise they're going to have a pretty frustrating time with doing bugger-all damage when they hit unarmed. Because let's face it, anything that matters won't be affected by Lethal Weapon, and getting +0 Stress sucks.

Offline UmbraLux

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2012, 03:36:41 PM »
My group has a few characters that I wanted to get some opinions whether or not they are built right and if there are any pitfalls I should beware.
From reading them, I'm not real sure how many of the aspects are intended to be used.  Hopefully you have back stories and a better handle on them.  If not, you may want to clarify.

Supernatural Shaolin Monk (Submerged)
Skills look reasonable, though I question putting Conviction above Fists.  Is there a story reason for doing so?  He doesn't have other mental skills to back it up in mental combat.  Regarding Powers, I'd choose between Armed Arts and Claws (either is good) and drop Lethal Weapon entirely.  (Lethal Weapon is poorly written.)

Changling (Submerged)
Skills look good, though Guns plus a vulnerability to iron is compel fodder.  I would consider adding a few other social skills - unless you don't plan on having much social combat.  It'd be easy since he's taken Guns, Weapons, and Fists.  Don't really need all three.  ;)  True Shapeshifting is much better with Modular Abilities.  Without it, Glamours (and illusory shapechange) will do almost as well.  So I'd suggest changing it to something like this:
  • -8 Modular Abilities 6
    • When shifting:
      • -4 True Shapeshifting
      • -2 other abilities to fit shape
    • When human/changling:
      • -2 Glamours
      • -2 Inhuman Speed
      • -2 other abilities to suit need
  • -1 Supernatural Toughness (Cold Iron Catch)
White Council Wizard (Submerged)
Skills look good.  So do powers, though I didn't add up refinements.  I'm assuming those are correct.  Regarding his rotes, should probably specify where the power is coming from.  It appears he won't be able to use them if he doesn't have his foci available.  That's important.  ;)  Shockwave doesn't look like it adds up either - two zones costs 4 shifts, maneuver power is 5, is he taking a mild consequence?  Same with Golem Fist - looks like 10 shifts of power?  That one is also problematic, should probably be modeled after a block.  Unless you're allowing "take out by aspect" in your game...something I recommend against.  It's also not defensive if it's applying the aspect to an opponent.  Gave on going through the spells at this point - seem to be too many for rotes.

One last thing regarding spells, the attacker doesn't determine the skill used to defend, the attack does.  From the book"  "The skill used for an attack also determines which skills are allowed to defend against the attack—Athletics is the catch-all defense skill for physical conficts, but Fists can be used to defend against other Fists attacks, and Weapons can be used to defend against both Weapons and Fists attacks."  It's a subtle but important distinction. 

Something like Golem Fist may or may not be defended against by Might.  Really depends on the trappings.  Can it be dodged?  Athletics.  Parried?  Weapons.  Shoved aside or simply opposed by strength?  Might.  All of the above?  The defender gets to choose.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2012, 03:38:50 PM by UmbraLux »
--
“As our circle of knowledge expands, so does the circumference of darkness surrounding it.”  - Albert Einstein

"Rudeness is a weak imitation of strength."  - Eric Hoffer

Offline MWKilduff

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 28, 2012, 02:18:24 AM »
From reading them, I'm not real sure how many of the aspects are intended to be used.  Hopefully you have back stories and a better handle on them.  If not, you may want to clarify.
Good backstories.  I feel pretty comfortable with the aspects.  I am hoping that as we play they get a better feel for the system and how important those are.
Skills look reasonable, though I question putting Conviction above Fists.  Is there a story reason for doing so?  He doesn't have other mental skills to back it up in mental combat.  Regarding Powers, I'd choose between Armed Arts and Claws (either is good) and drop Lethal Weapon entirely.  (Lethal Weapon is poorly written.)
I agree, but it is part of his "faith".
Skills look good, though Guns plus a vulnerability to iron is compel fodder. 
Love It!
I would consider adding a few other social skills - unless you don't plan on having much social combat.  It'd be easy since he's taken Guns, Weapons, and Fists.  Don't really need all three.  ;)  True Shapeshifting is much better with Modular Abilities.  Without it, Glamours (and illusory shapechange) will do almost as well.  So I'd suggest changing it to something like this:
  • -8 Modular Abilities 6
    • When shifting:
      • -4 True Shapeshifting
      • -2 other abilities to fit shape
    • When human/changling:
      • -2 Glamours
      • -2 Inhuman Speed
      • -2 other abilities to suit need
  • -1 Supernatural Toughness (Cold Iron Catch)
That doesn't work.  You cannot use modular powers to get true shapeshifting.  At least as I am reading it.  Please correct me if I am wrong.
Skills look good.  So do powers, though I didn't add up refinements.  I'm assuming those are correct.  Regarding his rotes, should probably specify where the power is coming from.  It appears he won't be able to use them if he doesn't have his foci available.  That's important.  ;)  Shockwave doesn't look like it adds up either - two zones costs 4 shifts, maneuver power is 5, is he taking a mild consequence?  Same with Golem Fist - looks like 10 shifts of power?  That one is also problematic, should probably be modeled after a block.  Unless you're allowing "take out by aspect" in your game...something I recommend against.  It's also not defensive if it's applying the aspect to an opponent.  Gave on going through the spells at this point - seem to be too many for rotes.

One last thing regarding spells, the attacker doesn't determine the skill used to defend, the attack does.  From the book"  "The skill used for an attack also determines which skills are allowed to defend against the attack—Athletics is the catch-all defense skill for physical conficts, but Fists can be used to defend against other Fists attacks, and Weapons can be used to defend against both Weapons and Fists attacks."  It's a subtle but important distinction. 

Something like Golem Fist may or may not be defended against by Might.  Really depends on the trappings.  Can it be dodged?  Athletics.  Parried?  Weapons.  Shoved aside or simply opposed by strength?  Might.  All of the above?  The defender gets to choose.
Good calls with the spells.  I will look into those.  Thanks.

Offline UmbraLux

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 28, 2012, 03:39:09 AM »
That doesn't work.  You cannot use modular powers to get true shapeshifting.  At least as I am reading it.  Please correct me if I am wrong.
Depends on GM and trappings.  You would want your trappings to justify it.  I'd probably allow it but have it cost an extra action - one to switch power sets and then a second to change shape. 

You don't have to allow it...but the changeling can do almost everything True Shape by itself does as an illusory Glamour.  Without the Modular Abilities he can't change to shapes which can fly, have claws, or be smaller than normal.  It's worthwhile as a disguise...he can change shape to a table presumably.  And, since it's a change and not an illusion, it's a bit better than Glamours...but not enough better to be worth the cost.

If he didn't already have Glamours I wouldn't make a point of calling it out - it's still useful as a disguise.  But it overlaps with Glamours a lot - at least until you can add extra powers to your shapes. 
--
“As our circle of knowledge expands, so does the circumference of darkness surrounding it.”  - Albert Einstein

"Rudeness is a weak imitation of strength."  - Eric Hoffer