Author Topic: Writing in an Existing Universe  (Read 2323 times)

Offline Dresdenus Prime

• Conversationalist
  • More than meets the Wizards Sight
    • View Profile
Writing in an Existing Universe
« on: February 22, 2012, 01:46:47 PM »
What's the best way to go about submitting a manuscript for an existing property? I see it all the time - Star Wars, Star Trek, even videogame novels released by various authors.

I myself, while having a multitude of ideas for original works, am a HUGE Transformer fan. I would absolutely love to write a story set in their universe, possibly a first person novel. I can just imagine how fun it would be to write about the transforming process from the thoughts of the protagonist.

But how would I go about this? Should I just find any new novels in the franchise and see who the publisher is, and then try and submit the work to said publisher?

What I'd love to do is try and create my own original idea involving transforming robots, but I think that's pretty much impossible without it sounding like Transformers lol  ;D
DV Dresdenus Prime v1.2 YR6 FR(M)1 BK+ RP- JB TH++ WGH CL- SW+ BC+ MC++++ SH(Molly++++ Murphy- Elaine-- Mab+++++)

Offline trboturtle

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
    • Trboturtle's writing pad
Re: Writing in an Existing Universe
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2012, 06:53:51 PM »
What's the best way to go about submitting a manuscript for an existing property? I see it all the time - Star Wars, Star Trek, even videogame novels released by various authors.

To be honest? Slim and none.  :(

I don't like saying that, but its true. Tie-in properties like novels are decided upon by the people owning the IP (Intellectual Property), and they chose Authors with proven track records to write them. They are not even going to look at an unsolicitied manuscript from someone they don't known.

Take a look at almost any author who's written a tie-in novel. Most, if not all, have a solid line of novels and stories they wrote and published before they were approached to write the tie-in novel.

My advice? Write your own stories and build a proven track record. Down the road, if people think you're the right person for that Transformer Novel, they'll come to you.

Craig
Author of 25+ stories for Battlecorps.com, the official website for Battletech canon stories.
Co-author of "Outcasts Ops: African Firestorm," "Outcast Ops: Red Ice," & "Outcast Ops: Watchlist"
http://thebattletechstate.blogspot.com

Offline Dresdenus Prime

• Conversationalist
  • More than meets the Wizards Sight
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2012, 07:48:22 PM »
Take a look at almost any author who's written a tie-in novel. Most, if not all, have a solid line of novels and stories they wrote and published before they were approached to write the tie-in novel.

I hadn't even considered that, but you're absolutely right. Ouch. Flush. There went my dreams...  :'(

But good advice to get some credit under my belt. Thanks for the input!
DV Dresdenus Prime v1.2 YR6 FR(M)1 BK+ RP- JB TH++ WGH CL- SW+ BC+ MC++++ SH(Molly++++ Murphy- Elaine-- Mab+++++)

Offline The Deposed King

• Posty McPostington
  • Persuasion is the key to success.
    • View Profile
    • Luke Sky Wachter Blog
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2012, 01:07:26 AM »
I hadn't even considered that, but you're absolutely right. Ouch. Flush. There went my dreams...  :'(

But good advice to get some credit under my belt. Thanks for the input!

Remember in addition to Transformers.  There was first Voltron and then also Gobots.  Both successful TV series.  Which ignores all the gundam stuff (which I don't bother with).

The Deposed King

Proverbs 22:7, "The rich rule over the poor, and the borrower is slave of the lender"

The Deposed King (a member of baen's bar)

Offline Darwinist

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
    • Socially Transmitted Disease
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2012, 05:42:00 AM »
Who's to say you can't use the same universe but make it your own? There is the downside that you can't write about Optimus, or whoever else is in those stories (not a fan). What you CAN do is write a story about transforming robots roaming about on this planet that have the ability to shift forms into other things. It might feel like you're ripping off the source material, and you are, but that's pretty much storytelling these days. You can't write anything these days without directly, or indirectly, being inspired or unknowingly lifting something already written. It's just not feasible.

Take what you like, mold it into something better and go from there. Granted, with a Transformer's based storyline it's going to be awfully difficult to really disassociate from the existing idea - which might make it very hard to sell. But hey, there's a market for everything.

Offline Mr. Ghostbuster

• Conversationalist
  • Jimbassador to the United States
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2012, 08:14:25 AM »
I don't know about the process involved but I do know that Star Trek and Star Wars only accept novels from established authors. And I'm pretty sure you can't just submit an idea to the people in charge of Star Wars. I think they actually have to invite you to write a Star Wars novel.
DV Warden of Iowa City 1.0 YR4 FR(M)1 BK+++ RP JB++ TH+ WG++ CL+ SW BC+ MC---- FF+ SH++[Murphy+++ Lara+ Gard+ Molly-]

Hi. I'm the future director of The Dresden Files movie. Wink.

Offline Snowleopard

• Needs A Life
  • Small but sneaky.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2012, 09:49:20 AM »
Yup Mr. Ghostbuster has that right - you have to be invited in - and they're fairly choosy who they
invite.  Sorry.

Offline Paynesgrey

• Bartender
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2012, 12:56:01 PM »
Yeah, Paramount & whoever their publisher is no longer accepts any unsolicited manuscripts for Trek stuff, I'm pretty sure Star Wars is the same.  You pretty much have to be published and get their attention.  Although in Star Trek Online (which works hand-in-glove with Paramount), they often have "official literary challenges" which might get someone's attention if you really knock out something Epic.  It would be worth checking the "official" forums and fan clubs for the franchises you're interested in to see if they ever do anything like that.

In past years, they had some contests where fans could submit short stories, the best of which were compiled and published yearly, but I don't think they do that any more.  They're trying to ensure the books stay consistant with not only the movie/series canon, but also the "soft canon" from countless books for the various trek shows.

Still, even if it's not to be "official", fanfic is a lot of fun to write and share with fellow fans, a number of The Big Trek Writers got their start writing for fanzines like Spockanalia.  It can be a useful exercise to sharpen your Author's Tools.  For example, if you learn to capture an iconic character's "voice" so readers hear the actor's voice in their head, and your on the way to constructing and depicting consistant character 'voices' for your original characters.  Learning to describe worlds against which you've a seprate, independant basis for comparison, and you're on your way to building your own.  Kind of like learning to draw or paint.

At least that's my take on it, my own experience in word herding is limited to bits for games and the odd splash of fanfic intended to be used as the backbone for some game arcs. 

Offline Snowleopard

• Needs A Life
  • Small but sneaky.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 27, 2012, 07:13:20 PM »
I started writing Star Trek fanfic many, many moons ago when one had to chase Dinosaurs down to appropriate claws to use as pens.
I even submitted a script to the original series - they didn't use it but said for a rank beginner it wasn't too bad.
After a time I grew out of the Star Trek universe.  I took some of the best parts of my fanfic, at least in my opinion, filed off the serial numbers as they say and created my own wild and wooly Universe.
It's good practice.

Offline Paynesgrey

• Bartender
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 27, 2012, 07:36:26 PM »
Lois McMaster-Bujold's Vorkosigan-verse started out as a novel she pitched to the Star Trek publishers that they weren't interested in.  Man, what they missed out on.  Cordelia's Honor *would* have been about a Klingon and Vulcan.  I'd love to have read her take on the Star Trek universe.

Offline trboturtle

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
    • Trboturtle's writing pad
« Reply #10 on: February 28, 2012, 02:35:08 AM »
I write in an exsisting universe (Battletech) and the continuity is paramount. While I have free regin over characters and plots (Within reason), I can't write anything that goes against the canon events.

Still, it's one step closer to creating  my own universe.... ;D

Craig
Author of 25+ stories for Battlecorps.com, the official website for Battletech canon stories.
Co-author of "Outcasts Ops: African Firestorm," "Outcast Ops: Red Ice," & "Outcast Ops: Watchlist"
http://thebattletechstate.blogspot.com

Offline Snowleopard

• Needs A Life
  • Small but sneaky.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 28, 2012, 03:21:01 AM »
^
Yup.  Wise man trboturtle.  (Unlike J.J.Abrams)
Wishing you good luck.

Offline meg_evonne

• Posty McPostington
  • With an eye made quiet by the power of harmony
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 28, 2012, 10:44:49 PM »
I agree with the thoughts above. Slim or none.

Still, if you are going to go to all that work, why wouldn't you tweak the world to make it yours and end up with something original and marketable?

let your wings carry you where they want to go; anything else is cheating your muse.

Best wishes
"Calypso was offerin' Odysseus immortality, darlin'. Penelope offered him endurin' love. I myself just wanted some company." John Henry (Doc) Holliday from "Doc" by Mary Dorla Russell
Photo from Avatar.com by the Domestic Goddess