Author Topic: Oh No, another Mental Stress question...  (Read 1183 times)

Offline computerking

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
    • Into the Dark
Oh No, another Mental Stress question...
« on: February 21, 2012, 08:54:48 PM »
So, I was considering a possible spell, and I was not entirely sure it could be done. It involves Evocation, the Spirit element, and the Sight. Since Spirit magic (duh) involves the spiritual essences, and is also related to the creation of Light, can a Spirit evocation be done that acts like a standard "Blinded" Maneuver attempt, but would only affect those who happened to be looking with the Sight, effectively overwhelming the target's ability to use the Sight properly (When tagged or Invoked for Effect)?

Also, if weaponized into an Attack, would that cause Mental Stress? If NOT weaponized, would the target, perceiving the maneuver spell (Whether it succeeds or fails against them), have to roll Discipline contested against a roll of the Maneuver spell's Shift level?

Example:
BrightBoy is Veiled, Lurker uses the Sight to perceive the spell hiding someone. Brightboy casts "Soul-ar Flare" (Heh) to attempt to "Sightblind" Lurker, succeeding with a power of 5 Shifts and meeting the roll exactly. Lurker succeeds in his defense roll (Athletics) with a +6, but rolls a total of +0 to defend against the "Defense against the Sight" roll of 5 (The spell that he's looking at's power) +2, for a total of +7 mental stress, and is stuck with his Sight on.

Another related question would be if Brightboy could get a Lawbreaker (4th) power even if he was only attempting to put a maneuver on Lurker to curtail his Sight-enhanced Veilseeking.
I'm the ComputerKing, I can Do Anything...
Into the Dark, A Podcast dedicated to Villainy
www.savethevillain.com

PS: %^#@ Orbius. This may or may not be relevant to the discussion, but whatever.

Offline sinker

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
Re: Oh No, another Mental Stress question...
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2012, 10:09:37 PM »
That all makes sense to me. It's just a simple evocation maneuver, invoked for effect.

I could see that kind of a mental attack working and not being against the laws.

Offline UmbraLux

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
Re: Oh No, another Mental Stress question...
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2012, 11:09:38 PM »
So, I was considering a possible spell, and I was not entirely sure it could be done. It involves Evocation, the Spirit element, and the Sight. Since Spirit magic (duh) involves the spiritual essences, and is also related to the creation of Light, can a Spirit evocation be done that acts like a standard "Blinded" Maneuver attempt, but would only affect those who happened to be looking with the Sight, effectively overwhelming the target's ability to use the Sight properly (When tagged or Invoked for Effect)?
Interesting idea, I like it.  You could handle it as a maneuver or as a block against the Sight.  I kind of like the latter.

Also, if weaponized into an Attack, would that cause Mental Stress? If NOT weaponized, would the target, perceiving the maneuver spell (Whether it succeeds or fails against them), have to roll Discipline contested against a roll of the Maneuver spell's Shift level?
I'd say yes.  After all, you can take mental stress from the Sight used normally - throwing some massive flash of power at a viewer would probably be similar.  I don't think I'd call it Lawbreaking - it's intended to blind not kill and presumably will never be in effect unless the viewer opens his Sight.
--
“As our circle of knowledge expands, so does the circumference of darkness surrounding it.”  - Albert Einstein

"Rudeness is a weak imitation of strength."  - Eric Hoffer