Author Topic: North and South  (Read 2010 times)

Offline Nickeris86

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
North and South
« on: February 18, 2012, 12:40:41 PM »
I had an idea to try and mix up my world a little bit and was wondering if it was actually a good idea or if its dumb.

In my story I have cultures and landscapes some what reversed. The colder climates and more barbaric lands are in the southern part of the contentment and the hot desserts and tropical areas are in the north.

I had never seen this done in a story before so I thought it would be interesting to try it out, what do you think?
In the darkest hour i shall be there.

Offline Shecky

• Bartender
  • O. M. G.
  • Feh.
    • View Profile
Re: North and South
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2012, 12:42:58 PM »
Mmm, hot desserts. Hot fudge sundae? *ducks* ;D

Seriously, you've touched on one unspoken assumption that's ALL through F/SF: the location of the story in the northern hemisphere of the world. Put one in the southern hemisphere and there's your story location.
Official forum rules and precepts; please read: http://www.jimbutcheronline.com/bb/index.php/topic,23096.0.html

Quote from: Stanton Infeld
Well, if you couldn't do that with your bulls***, Leonard, I suspect the lad's impervious.

Offline Nickeris86

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2012, 02:06:02 PM »
Oh derp I hate when I misspell that. lol

That was my plan that it would take place in the southern hemisphere of my world. My concern is that my readers would find it irritating cause I have never read nor heard of any book that took place in the southern part of any world and been anything but warm or hot.
In the darkest hour i shall be there.

Offline Gruud

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2012, 02:45:11 PM »
I'm sure there's room for two of us to do it.  ;D

Although TBH, I have not flipped my climates, as that requires a change in the axis tilt and/or differences in the orbit, and I didn't want to get called out on getting it wrong.

Just be sure and put in early and often pointers that show your geographic change. You have no idea how fiirmly ingrained the "everything happens in the Norrth" mindest really is within Western/European thought.

But you'll soon find out once you get into writing it.  ;)

Offline Paynesgrey

• Bartender
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2012, 02:55:19 PM »
A handy lantern might be reference to the world's equivalent of Aurora Australis.  "And if you go far enough south, onto the Deep Ice, you can see rippling curtains of lights dance and shimmer in the night sky..."

Offline FlaggerX

• Conversationalist
  • born of normal parents
    • View Profile
    • Everything 2
« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2012, 12:16:02 AM »
Changing hemispheres really doesn't change anything other then which month is winter and so on (actually that is a bit of a problem for the stone table dominance, unless there are two tables.)    What matters more is how far south and north you are.

Offline mithrandirthewhite

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2012, 12:25:00 AM »
southern hemisphere IIRC is just like Northern hemisphere with flipped seasons.  Its the tropic belt around the middle that is changed
WHAT CAN THE HARVEST HOPE FOR, IF NOT FOR THE CARE OF THE REAPER MAN?

Offline The Deposed King

• Posty McPostington
  • Persuasion is the key to success.
    • View Profile
    • Luke Sky Wachter Blog
« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2012, 10:24:43 AM »
you could do the whole flat lander philosophy to explain things.  the burning lands are to the north and the frozen lands are to the south.

The Deposed King

Proverbs 22:7, "The rich rule over the poor, and the borrower is slave of the lender"

The Deposed King (a member of baen's bar)

Offline DragonEyes

• Posty McPostington
  • The Universe tried to erase Rory once. It exploded
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2012, 01:22:53 PM »
The term North can also be translated as "Down" from the original norse language. South could have meant meant "Sunward", as in toward the sunny areas but the etymology isn't as clear. The reason we currently align north and south the way we do is because English evolved in the Northern hemisphere. In a place where the language (and the most powerful civilizations) evolved in the south, they wouldn't call it north or south the same way. Just something to consider.
You've managed- in our three years together- to kill not only my god, but my father, my brother, and my fiancée. That's kind of like a homicidal hat trick. It's a strange foundation for a relationship.

Offline MClark

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 20, 2012, 10:12:49 PM »
HI,

I believe Lois McMaster Bujold's "The Curse of Chalion" world takes place in the southern hemisphere - indeed the world is basically europe upside down. (Chalion is Spain). Several books in the series won an award or another of some kind, so the idea will certainly work.