Author Topic: Weird - caught us in mid conversation.  (Read 472946 times)

Offline Dina

• Has Collapsed Into a Singularity of Posts (a.k.a, "The Dina")
    • View Profile
Re: Weird - caught us in mid conversation.
« Reply #1845 on: February 18, 2012, 02:57:40 AM »
Teachers love questions, but not when they are so much that the whole class is derailed. I had some students like that, and, as a student, I had some of them as classmates. I hated them much more when I was a student because I couldn't concentrate.
Missing you, Md 

There are many horrible sights in the multiverse. Somehow, though, to a soul attuned to the subtle rhythms of a library, there are few worse sights than a hole where a book ought to be. Someone has stolen a book (Terry Pratchett)

Offline Doroga's Cousin

• Needs A Life
  • Not sure if Correct
    • View Profile
« Reply #1846 on: February 18, 2012, 02:58:23 AM »
Honestly it's better this way, i dont actually distract the class with my reading.

However, i like to ask questions, and argue points when i pay attention. Just ask my math classes and social studies classes and philosophy class. They hated me because i proactively learn, and because of such i get the class behind in the curriculum. I feel bad about that.
Don't feel bad. If that's the way you learn, that's the way you learn. There's not a damned thing you or anyone else can do about that.
Is it just me or is it getting a little solipsistic in here?

Offline Don

• Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #1847 on: February 18, 2012, 03:00:29 AM »
Honestly it's better this way, i dont actually distract the class with my reading.

However, i like to ask questions, and argue points when i pay attention. Just ask my math classes and social studies classes and philosophy class. They hated me because i proactively learn, and because of such i get the class behind in the curriculum. I feel bad about that.

You're kind of making excuses.  Break it down.  You've identified a problem.  Find out what you can do to work on it.  I would recommend a critical thinking or methods of inquiry class.

Don't feel bad. If that's the way you learn, that's the way you learn. There's not a damned thing you or anyone else can do about that.

Yes there is, actually.  There's no obe best way for everybody to learn, but that doesn't mean you can't work on doing a better job where you lag.
Don is the Prince of Anarchy  :P

Please excuse my grammar, and speling.

Offline ۞†Grey Warden†۞

• Needs A Life
  • For those who wander but are not lost!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1848 on: February 18, 2012, 03:02:02 AM »
Teachers love questions, but not when they are so much that the whole class is derailed. I had some students like that, and, as a student, I had some of them as classmates. I hated them much more when I was a student because I couldn't concentrate.

So you see my point, when i pay attention i am that kid,

Dina what do you think Smiley top hat or  superman hat or rainbow wig, or colonial hat or australian cowboy hat to let her wear instead of my personal hat
Sir  Reginald.
I will miss you, my friend Mdodd. May you find peace.
Snowy,  I am rooting for you. I hope you remain happy and as comfortable as possible.

How many steps to the lighthouse?

Offline Dina

• View Profile
« Reply #1849 on: February 18, 2012, 03:04:43 AM »
Again, middle point. Ask some questions in class. Note some others and ask them before or after the class, or ask your teacher if you can see him out class or if you can e-mail him.

Australian cowboy or rainbow wig  :). And Don is right, small surprises are great.
Missing you, Md 

There are many horrible sights in the multiverse. Somehow, though, to a soul attuned to the subtle rhythms of a library, there are few worse sights than a hole where a book ought to be. Someone has stolen a book (Terry Pratchett)

Offline Don

• Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #1850 on: February 18, 2012, 03:05:27 AM »
Just think before you ask a question, or moderate yourself.  Don't take up thewhole class's time, but ask those few qustions you think most important.

There's this one sophomore in my philosophy of mind class that is constantly derailing the topic.  It's a 3 hour once a week class, so it gets very frustrating.  I've nicknamed him Melvin.  I just found out that the professor has put us in a group together for an assignment due in a few weeks.

Offline ۞†Grey Warden†۞

• Needs A Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #1851 on: February 18, 2012, 03:07:09 AM »
Just think before you ask a question, or moderate yourself.  Don't take up thewhole class's time, but ask those few qustions you think most important.

There's this one sophomore in my philosophy of mind class that is constantly derailing the topic.  It's a 3 hour once a week class, so it gets very frustrating.  I've nicknamed him Melvin.  I just found out that the professor has put us in a group together for an assignment due in a few weeks.

That sucks i would hate to be in a group with me.

Don what do you think Rainbow wig or Australian Cowboy hat?
Sir  Reginald.
Snowy,  I am rooting for you. I hope you remain happy and as comfortable as possible.

Offline Don

• Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #1852 on: February 18, 2012, 03:11:57 AM »
I think the rainbow wig sends the wrong message to a girl you might be interested in.

I'm not really a hat guy, so I don't know.  If it gives you confidence, go for the Assuie hat.
---
I plan to make the best of working with Melvin.  I know I'm not going to be able to confront him outright, because he's just going to tune me out, but I plan to establish myself as someone who knows what he's doing and knows how to focus on a task to get the job done well.  That will hopefully be enough.

If I were in a group with you, I would probably use that strategy.

Offline Ms Duck

• Needs A Life
  • Duck of The Black Court
    • View Profile
« Reply #1853 on: February 18, 2012, 03:13:02 AM »
this is the batman thread right now.

well, cept for me :)
Yeah, but Germans and Hungarians don't pull people's theories out of their sockets when they're challenged.  Ducks are known to do that.

That's been disabled. But I can still CALL you Fup Duck. -Shecky

Offline Doroga's Cousin

• Needs A Life
  • Not sure if Correct
    • View Profile
« Reply #1854 on: February 18, 2012, 03:14:11 AM »
Ok so is it just me or does this feel like a group therapy session?

Offline Dina

• View Profile
« Reply #1855 on: February 18, 2012, 03:15:32 AM »
GW, how is your personal hat?

Don, perhaps he works ok in group. One of the classmates I mentioned was good as a group member, he could work well and was really clever. The problem was that in class he just felt the need to show off his brilliancy (he was nor really brilliant, but he was deluded).

(((Duckie!!)))

Want to join us, DC?
Missing you, Md 

Offline Ms Duck

• Needs A Life
  • Duck of The Black Court
    • View Profile
« Reply #1856 on: February 18, 2012, 03:17:12 AM »
((DINA))

(peeps)

and eys , put on an outfit dc. im surrounded by bat peeps. whatever shall i, the only super powered vampire in the group do when im surrounded by bat peeps?

<siiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiip>

<ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh>
Yeah, but Germans and Hungarians don't pull people's theories out of their sockets when they're challenged.  Ducks are known to do that.

That's been disabled. But I can still CALL you Fup Duck. -Shecky

Offline Doroga's Cousin

• Needs A Life
  • Not sure if Correct
    • View Profile
« Reply #1857 on: February 18, 2012, 03:17:28 AM »
I'm already having a powwow with three of my friends about my problems/stress issues. I'm good. :D

Offline ۞†Grey Warden†۞

• Needs A Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #1858 on: February 18, 2012, 03:18:42 AM »
I thought it was a fight over whats rude section

Aussie Hat got it, I shall trade her for my orange hat with my aussie hat.

Dina my own orange baseball hat which i love to death, i wear it almost everyday i kinda feel naked without it. I let her steal it for the weekend. Not going to be a fun weekend.
Sir  Reginald.

Offline Don

• Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #1859 on: February 18, 2012, 03:20:14 AM »
Don, perhaps he works ok in group. One of the classmates I mentioned was good as a group member, he could work well and was really clever. The problem was that in class he just felt the need to show off his brilliancy (he was nor really brilliant, but he was deluded).

You could be right.  He seems interested in the subject matter, he shows up to class, he reads the material.  For all I know he's a good student.  In philosophy, it's easy to get worked up and want to explore a bunch of things that aren't necessarily relevant to what's being discussed at the moment. 

It's a group of people who are pretty well acquainted with one another hashing out personal issues.  So, technically speaking, yes.
--

Who are you Duckie?  Booberella?

--

Btw, it's not just Batman.  Dina is Jessica Rabbit.