Author Topic: Weird - caught us in mid conversation.  (Read 473145 times)

Offline Dina

• Has Collapsed Into a Singularity of Posts (a.k.a, "The Dina")
    • View Profile
Re: Weird - caught us in mid conversation.
« Reply #825 on: February 16, 2012, 03:36:12 AM »
I would fight too if I was alone. If my parents were with me...I probably wouldn't leave. If I had kids, I'll leave only if I could be sure I will have access to disconnect them.

I can't see the link. Ms. Duck
Missing you, Md 

There are many horrible sights in the multiverse. Somehow, though, to a soul attuned to the subtle rhythms of a library, there are few worse sights than a hole where a book ought to be. Someone has stolen a book (Terry Pratchett)

Offline Ms Duck

• Needs A Life
  • Duck of The Black Court
    • View Profile
« Reply #826 on: February 16, 2012, 03:37:43 AM »
Generally speaking, that's precisely what we are. Cyberspace avatars, controlled and manipulated in this realm by personalities at electronic consoles.

badnwidth/ STN ratios. any computer system capable of simulatign this reality to this detail woud be this reality :)

I love informational theory lol
Yeah, but Germans and Hungarians don't pull people's theories out of their sockets when they're challenged.  Ducks are known to do that.

That's been disabled. But I can still CALL you Fup Duck. -Shecky

Offline Doroga's Cousin

• Needs A Life
  • Not sure if Correct
    • View Profile
« Reply #827 on: February 16, 2012, 03:38:32 AM »
I have problems with theoretical physics. :o
Is it just me or is it getting a little solipsistic in here?

Offline Dina

• View Profile
« Reply #828 on: February 16, 2012, 03:39:49 AM »
How do I know for sure that I'm not in some sort of matrix-like reality right now?  You people could all just be simulations or figments of my imagination.

I know this reality is not figment of my imagination. Simulations, that can be. My imagination? Not so good to create the poetry of Shakespeare and Ms. Duck at the same time.
Missing you, Md 

There are many horrible sights in the multiverse. Somehow, though, to a soul attuned to the subtle rhythms of a library, there are few worse sights than a hole where a book ought to be. Someone has stolen a book (Terry Pratchett)

Offline Don

• Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #829 on: February 16, 2012, 03:39:54 AM »
I'm taking a philosophy of mind course right now..  This is something that comes up when the sophomores want to derail the professor.

A Greek named Pyrrho or something like that was the first person to record serious doubts of the existance of anything around him.  I guess in the end, he was convinced that he was the only thing that existed, and his followers had to constantly protect him from walking into holes and stuff, because he didn't believe that they were real.  This is stuff I learned about a few years ago, but I think my recollection is good.

We were talking about Descartes just recently, though.  He was around in late Medieval period, and he brought up serious doubts of the reality of the world around him.  Sensory information is unrelaiable, but what he was sue of was that he was a thinking beng.  That's all he could say for sure at first.  cogito ergo sum.  I think, therefore I am (exist). 
Don is the Prince of Anarchy  :P

Please excuse my grammar, and speling.

Offline Dina

• View Profile
« Reply #830 on: February 16, 2012, 03:40:52 AM »
That is called solipsism, Don. It was even an spell in D&D  :)

Edited to add: I mean the first thing, not the Descartes one.
Missing you, Md 

Offline ۞†Grey Warden†۞

• Needs A Life
  • For those who wander but are not lost!
    • View Profile
« Reply #831 on: February 16, 2012, 03:41:18 AM »
How do I know for sure that I'm not in some sort of matrix-like reality right now?  You people could all just be simulations or figments of my imagination.

I have proof but you would have to be here in person

Generally speaking, that's precisely what we are. Cyberspace avatars, controlled and manipulated in this realm by personalities at electronic consoles.

Clever
Sir  Reginald.
I will miss you, my friend Mdodd. May you find peace.
Snowy,  I am rooting for you. I hope you remain happy and as comfortable as possible.

How many steps to the lighthouse?

Offline Don

• Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #832 on: February 16, 2012, 03:42:24 AM »
I have proof but you would have to be here in person

How is that proof?  My senses would tell me that something like seems to be another human being is standing in front of me, but then how do I trust my senses?

Offline Arkham8

• Posty McPostington
  • The Man with the Silver Voice
    • View Profile
« Reply #833 on: February 16, 2012, 03:43:33 AM »
I've destroyed many a philosophical debate by logic bombs. Or by pointing out that we are essentially a series of chemical processes given sentience.

Or took the obviously stupid side of a debate and won.

Arkham's First Law: Sufficiently charismatic bullshit is indistinguishable from knowledge.

Offline Doroga's Cousin

• Needs A Life
  • Not sure if Correct
    • View Profile
« Reply #834 on: February 16, 2012, 03:44:15 AM »
At any rate. Good night, good Weirdos.
Is it just me or is it getting a little solipsistic in here?

Offline Dina

• View Profile
« Reply #835 on: February 16, 2012, 03:45:08 AM »
Good night, DC. Nice dreams!
Missing you, Md 

Offline ۞†Grey Warden†۞

• Needs A Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #836 on: February 16, 2012, 03:45:18 AM »
How is that proof?  My senses would tell me that something like seems to be another human being is standing in front of me, but then how do I trust my senses?

It's hard to explain you would have to be in person.
I'll try look in front of you, do you see a computer? A simple yes or no will do.

Night DC
Sir  Reginald.
Snowy,  I am rooting for you. I hope you remain happy and as comfortable as possible.

Offline Arkham8

• Posty McPostington
  • The Man with the Silver Voice
    • View Profile
« Reply #837 on: February 16, 2012, 03:46:15 AM »
Have you got something better to trust?

Night, DC
Arkham's First Law: Sufficiently charismatic bullshit is indistinguishable from knowledge.

Offline ۞†Grey Warden†۞

• Needs A Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #838 on: February 16, 2012, 03:47:05 AM »
Have you got something better to trust?

Night, DC

He makes a good point.
Sir  Reginald.

Offline Don

• Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #839 on: February 16, 2012, 03:48:26 AM »
I've destroyed many a philosophical debate by logic bombs. Or by pointing out that we are essentially a series of chemical processes given sentience.

I would like to examine these bombs.

And yes, it very much looks like we are a series of chemical processes that think.  Epistemologically speaking, we can never be 100% sure of this, though.  We know from experience that things are not as they appear.  My keyboard looks like a solid object, but in reality it's a network of bajillions of tiny things called molecules that are buzzing around like bees!  How are we to know that that's the end of it?

--
Night, DC