Author Topic: Writing in a setting you know...without sounding like Lonely Planet guides...?  (Read 2121 times)

Offline arianne

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
I'm planning on setting a story in an unusual place (that is to say, for most readers it would be unusual, but I know it quite well), and for the purposes of “explaining stuff to the reader” I have chosen a main character who is not from the place.

At the same time I don't want the story to be weighed down by long passages of history and culture, but as it so happens, bits of said history and culture provide some vital pieces to the plot (isn't that always the way....)

Has anyone ever done something like this before? Would it be better to pick a native main guy who would do enough internal convo with himself to enable the reader to keep up? Or if not, is there some way to convey the info without sounding like a guidebook?

I did think of sprinkling bits of info when they're needed, but I think the readers would be like, huh? Plus, it might feel too god from the machine-ish...
I swear to you, by my own stunning good looks and towering ego, that I'm not lying to you.

Offline meg_evonne

• Posty McPostington
  • With an eye made quiet by the power of harmony
    • View Profile
Since you know the location, I don't think you'll have a dispassionate tour book feel.

Info dump though? Different problem entirely.

Some suggestions:
1. Dialog
2. Describe as action background between dialog.
3. Delete what doesn't add to character or further plot..
4. Use description of place to strategically tone the background.
5. Use location as emotional connection for characters.
6. Use the senses to make the locational satisfying for the reader.
"Calypso was offerin' Odysseus immortality, darlin'. Penelope offered him endurin' love. I myself just wanted some company." John Henry (Doc) Holliday from "Doc" by Mary Dorla Russell
Photo from Avatar.com by the Domestic Goddess

Offline arianne

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
You're right; it is more the info dumping that worries me rather than the setting itself. Ideally, I should be able to put in just enough info so that the people who do know the setting aren't bored, and the people who don't can get a good idea of what's going on without feeling left out, but I don't know if it's possible to do that.... :(

My problem right now is something like this....my hero character is going after something (let's call it the Holy Grail) of importance. Now, to someone who knows what the Holy Grail is, everything would be fine, they would get the significance etc of it, but to someone else who doesn't, how far should I go into details? Should I just be like, "Oh, this is a cup that a great man drank out of shortly before his death" (no impact at all, that!) Or should I just make it a "priceless artifact" that the hero is chasing and not really go into it too much?

In the past when I've tried something like this, I often end up with very info-dumpy dialogue that goes on for pages and pages and sounds terribly silly....

I swear to you, by my own stunning good looks and towering ego, that I'm not lying to you.

Offline MClark

• Participant
    • View Profile
Using dialogue as info dump can come across as "As you know, Bob..." type phrases, so be careful.

Offline Dresdenus Prime

• Conversationalist
  • More than meets the Wizards Sight
    • View Profile
This is actually a great question when it comes to my "out of country" story, where my characters are most likely american but taken to possibly china as of now. How do I explain the settings in detail, especially for them who have never been there, without making it too descriptive so that it's boring to the reader?
DV Dresdenus Prime v1.2 YR6 FR(M)1 BK+ RP- JB TH++ WGH CL- SW+ BC+ MC++++ SH(Molly++++ Murphy- Elaine-- Mab+++++)

cenwolfgirl

i have a solution but might not extange well to all books
intreduce you carictor as a child or some  one with poor sight then they are les likly to describe things in deatal that often
or change place names and murge lots of places together suterly
just sergetions might only work in some cases

Offline The Deposed King

• Posty McPostington
  • Persuasion is the key to success.
    • View Profile
    • Luke Sky Wachter Blog
i have a solution but might not extange well to all books
intreduce you carictor as a child or some  one with poor sight then they are les likly to describe things in deatal that often
or change place names and murge lots of places together suterly
just sergetions might only work in some cases

You could have him be 'blind as a bat' without his contacts or glasses.  The contacts are lost along with the luggage or at least delayed for a day or two.  While his titanium glasses get confiscated at the airport or destroyed during a fight.

Then you could have him say.  I couldn't see the x, y or z building but I knew what it looked like.  Long marble colums up front, lion gargoyles sitting up on the third of 8 floors looking down on you.  It was a big blocky building and that's how I knew this was the place I was looking for, I could see the general fuzzy outline.  The bellhop that came out and said, "Welcome to the x,y or z." was also a big hint too of course.

The Deposed King
« Last Edit: February 17, 2012, 03:05:38 AM by The Deposed King »

Proverbs 22:7, "The rich rule over the poor, and the borrower is slave of the lender"

The Deposed King (a member of baen's bar)

cenwolfgirl

You could have him be 'blind as a bat' without his contacts or glasses.  The contacts are lost along with the luggage or at least delayed for a day or two.  While his titanium glasses get confiscated at the airport or destroyed during a fight.

Then you could have him say.  I couldn't see the x, y or z building but I knew what it looked like.  Long marble colums up front, lion gargoyles sitting up on the third of 8 floors looking down on you.  It was a big blocky building and that's how I knew this was the place I was looking for.  The bellhop that came out and said, "Welcome to the x,y or z, was also a big hint too.

The Deposed King
no glasses and my carictor may as well be blind as a bat witch is why it works
you are funny  :)

Offline arianne

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
Um...I'm not sure if a person with poor sight is what I'm looking for, seeing as how he'll need to be able to drive about in a car...(and I don't think he'd be able to do that if he only saw buildings as blurry outlines).

cenwolfgirl

Um...I'm not sure if a person with poor sight is what I'm looking for, seeing as how he'll need to be able to drive about in a car...(and I don't think he'd be able to do that if he only saw buildings as blurry outlines).
you are right poor sight means aleagle to drive cars due to not being able to see where you are going
it was a sergetion and i said it might not always work
sorry i could not be of more help

Offline The Deposed King

• Posty McPostington
  • Persuasion is the key to success.
    • View Profile
    • Luke Sky Wachter Blog

I was just thinking for a day or two until he got his vision back.  He could use taxies and public transportation in the mean time.

But if it doesn't work.  It just doesn't work.  Hopefully you can come up with something that fits.

The Deposed King

Proverbs 22:7, "The rich rule over the poor, and the borrower is slave of the lender"

The Deposed King (a member of baen's bar)