Author Topic: The I'm Writing Thread.... Celebrate your pages written etc  (Read 129255 times)

Offline The Deposed King

• Posty McPostington
  • Persuasion is the key to success.
    • View Profile
    • Luke Sky Wachter Blog
Re: The I'm Writing Thread.... Celebrate your pages written etc
« Reply #690 on: August 31, 2012, 12:58:30 AM »
The greatest part to reading this section of the forum is that I keep seeing so many others having the same issues but finding a way to keep going forward with their writing.

Everyone, good luck with your endeavors as a writer.  Like the great and wise oracle known as the Deposed King, I spent a lot of time in the past not finishing projects.  I know that like the Deposed King, I will keep moving this time.

Kept on writing.  Past page 270 today.

:D
Sounds like I need a soap box or something

Pay no attention to the man standing behind the curtain, the great and powerful The Deposed King has spoken!  (ala Wizard of Oz)

ahahahahahha.

Don't know if I'm wise.  Delusional maybe and perhaps.

just remember to always follow the dream and don't let anyone, even and most especially yourself get you down.  If you follow those two bits of advice I believe you can succeed.

Keep the page count coming Crazed!

The Deposed King

Proverbs 22:7, "The rich rule over the poor, and the borrower is slave of the lender"

The Deposed King (a member of baen's bar)

Offline Paynesgrey

• Bartender
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #691 on: August 31, 2012, 01:27:31 AM »
Added a Cover Image to my Amazon Studios Project to make it more visible.

It's a very simple thing using a Public Domain image of the Andromeda Galaxy, a Creative Commons Star Trek font and a quote,

"Enlisted Men are stupid...

But extremely cunning and sly...

They bear considerable watching..."

-Origin Uncertain, but still true in the 24th Century

Note: at the time of this writing, my project is ranked 42/639. Hazzah...

Brings to mind another classic bit...

"General Von Manstein of the German Officer Corps, said that there are only four types of officer. First there the lazy, stupid ones. Leave them alone , they do no harm. Second, there are the hard working intelligent ones. They make excellent staff officers, ensuring that every detail is properly considered. Third, there are the hard working stupid ones. These people are a menace and must be fired at once. They create irrelevant work for everybody. Finally, there are the intelligent lazy ones. They are suited for the highest office." 

Offline Lanodantheon

• Conversationalist
  • A Wizard is as a Wizard does...
    • View Profile
« Reply #692 on: August 31, 2012, 02:08:44 AM »
Brings to mind another classic bit...

"General Von Manstein of the German Officer Corps, said that there are only four types of officer. First there the lazy, stupid ones. Leave them alone , they do no harm. Second, there are the hard working intelligent ones. They make excellent staff officers, ensuring that every detail is properly considered. Third, there are the hard working stupid ones. These people are a menace and must be fired at once. They create irrelevant work for everybody. Finally, there are the intelligent lazy ones. They are suited for the highest office." 

That one's funny, Payne. I'll keep that quote in mind.

The quote I used was the only one I could find that spoke directly about Enlisted People. If there are other quotes out there I have no idea what they are or where to find them despite my own personal research. For the cover image if I had a quote about Enlisted that was funny/to the point and much shorter I would have used it. Right now, unless you go to my project's page you can't really read it on the cover image.

I listed it as "Origin Uncertain" because I kept finding multiple conflicting sources for it. Most sources said it was attributed to an U.S. Army Officer's Training Manual from 1894. Supposedly in the manual itself it is attributed to be from George Washington but some sources say that attribution is only there so the stupid Officers will pay attention  to the manual.

The style I wanted for my cover image was a group shot of the main characters drawn/painted Legend of Korra-style. But, I don't know anyone with enough time, energy or artistic ability to draw something for the specs of the cover image for next to no money especially since Starship Enlisted is supposed to have an ensemble cast, there's like 12 major named characters.

Another project update: I updated my project's Mini-Bible today by clarifying part of the rules of the show. It was really satisfying to re-write.

I specifically singled out Family Guy non-sequiturs because I don't want them in my show at all. My project is all about, "Serious Characters in awkward situations" with the awkward situations being the whole of Science Fiction as a genre.

In my new Mini-Bible draft I also specifically talked about how, in the correct frame of mind, a show like this writes itself. I put into perspective the idea of the Starship Discovery as not a Cruise Ship or Wagon Train in space as much as a 2 mile-long tin can that 2500 people are stuck in for ~18 months at a time where the "Captain" is the Mayor that nobody voted for and everyone has to answer to.

This will probably be my last project update for Starship Enlisted for the next while unless something major happens since the only other thing I could do for it would be to make a Pilot Video for it.
www.obsidianportal.com/campaigns/the-emerald-city  (Nov 2012 Campaign of The Month)

fate-accelerated-star-wars-the-infinite-empire.obsidianportal.com/
(June 2016 Campaign of The Month)

My name is Lanodantheon Thul, Conjure that by your own risk....But first, you have be able to spell it...

Offline Paynesgrey

• Bartender
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #693 on: August 31, 2012, 02:17:23 AM »
Ack.  I just realized my story universe is getting to the point where I need to make at least a notecard bible. 

I sincerely hope that I continue to be blessed with more "problems" like that!   ;D

Offline Darkshore

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #694 on: September 02, 2012, 02:09:22 AM »
My first draft is complete! I'm not sure why but it feels a bit anti-climactic, maybe it's because I already knew how I wanted it to end or maybe it's because I know that a lot more work lies ahead. Hopefully it doesn't mean that my story isn't too great.

Offline Snowleopard

• Needs A Life
  • Small but sneaky.
    • View Profile
« Reply #695 on: September 02, 2012, 03:05:15 AM »
What you feel is normal Darkshore.  You've finished and now your 'baby' is a separate entity
from you.  It's very normal to feel the way you do - so don't worry too much.

Offline Darkshore

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #696 on: September 02, 2012, 03:58:09 AM »
That makes me feel a bit better. I'm diving right into marking up my printed first draft with the dreaded red pen. Hopefully by November I'll have a final copy. :D Any tips on revision?

Offline Snowleopard

• Needs A Life
  • Small but sneaky.
    • View Profile
« Reply #697 on: September 02, 2012, 04:12:33 AM »
Careful on overdoing it.  You can over polish something.
You might want to step back and let it sit for just a bit to get a bit of distance from it.
Being too close to it - you sometimes miss things.  (I speak from experience)
Hopefully you've also got a good friend or two who can read through your story.
You want people who will be bluntly honest with you.
(No nicey nice types here - nor people being mean to just be mean)

Offline The Deposed King

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
    • Luke Sky Wachter Blog
« Reply #698 on: September 04, 2012, 08:20:53 PM »

Trying to finish all those little side scenes that I wanted to get done before digging into the editing!

Perhaps the final gunner scene of the 2nd book.

The Deposed King
« Last Edit: September 04, 2012, 09:03:38 PM by The Deposed King »

Proverbs 22:7, "The rich rule over the poor, and the borrower is slave of the lender"

Offline the neurovore of Zur-En-Aargh

• O. M. G.
  • Riding eternal, shiny and Firefox
    • View Profile
« Reply #699 on: September 05, 2012, 12:04:28 PM »
Through pass on four more chapters of PTTISBWO yesterday.
Mildly OCD. Please do not troll.

"What do you mean, Lawful Silly isn't a valid alignment?"

kittensgame, Sandcastle Builder, Homestuck, Welcome to Night Vale, Civ III, lots of print genre SF, and old-school SATT gaming if I had the time.  Also Pandemic Legacy is the best game ever.

Offline The Deposed King

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
    • Luke Sky Wachter Blog
« Reply #700 on: September 05, 2012, 09:31:31 PM »

I'd hoped to be done with this by now!
In the midst of the Lyconesse

As the shuttles swoop in!

That's all wrapped up!  Hope this is the last of the post book insertions.

I'm all done up.  Oh yeah. yeeah, yeeehaaahaha.

The Deposed King
« Last Edit: September 06, 2012, 04:37:09 AM by The Deposed King »

• O. M. G.
    • View Profile
« Reply #701 on: September 06, 2012, 01:45:47 AM »
My project is all about, "Serious Characters in awkward situations" with the awkward situations being the whole of Science Fiction as a genre.

Heh.

In my day job today, I released two completely new genomes from the project I work for into the public domain.  And now I am telling you about it on the internet.  When I think of the SF I was reading twenty years ago, I spend my life in situations from it, awkward or otherwise.

kittensgame, Sandcastle Builder, Homestuck, Welcome to Night Vale, Civ III, lots of print genre SF, and old-school SATT gaming if I had the time.  Also Pandemic Legacy is the best game ever.

• O. M. G.
    • View Profile
« Reply #702 on: September 08, 2012, 04:21:47 PM »
Through pass on the remaining eight chapters and epilogue. All I have to do is sort out the supplementary material and this one goes back out.

cenwolfgirl

« Reply #703 on: September 10, 2012, 03:43:02 PM »
i got 200 words to day
yes!  ;D

Offline drewavera

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #704 on: September 11, 2012, 07:13:34 PM »
i try to be consistent but im falling behind on my daily writing. i have hand written about 22 pages so far, which 1 handwritten page equals 1 1/2 when i type it in the write format for a manuscript. im trying to beast this thing out but time is not a luxery right now. hopefully it'll be done before i die lol
Self published sci fi author. Read my indie author interviews at www.drewavera.wordpress.com