Author Topic: The I'm Writing Thread.... Celebrate your pages written etc  (Read 129529 times)

Offline The Deposed King

• Posty McPostington
  • Persuasion is the key to success.
    • View Profile
    • Luke Sky Wachter Blog
Re: The I'm Writing Thread.... Celebrate your pages written etc
« Reply #195 on: May 11, 2012, 02:44:52 AM »
I've had some of the stories I've written compared to both Terry Pratchett (Discworld) and William Goldman (The Princess Bride). It bothered me some, at first, because I felt like they were saying I had no voice of my own. But, upon further review, it could have been a lot worse. If I'm going to be compared to someone, it might as well be someone whose talent I respect and enjoy.  :D

PG compared my Admiral Who to Louis McMaster Bujold's Vorkosogian Series.  Which I didn't see coming.

Its all a box of chocolates.

The Deposed King

Proverbs 22:7, "The rich rule over the poor, and the borrower is slave of the lender"

The Deposed King (a member of baen's bar)

Offline the neurovore of Zur-En-Aargh

• O. M. G.
  • Riding eternal, shiny and Firefox
    • View Profile
« Reply #196 on: May 11, 2012, 02:50:50 AM »
I don't know that I've ever been directly compared to someone I really admire, though people have commented on a certain Douglas Adams influence in some of my work (not for the humour, but for the doing complex ideas well in a few lines, which I take as a high compliment.)

Steven Brust did say I was cute once, though.
Mildly OCD. Please do not troll.

"What do you mean, Lawful Silly isn't a valid alignment?"

kittensgame, Sandcastle Builder, Homestuck, Welcome to Night Vale, Civ III, lots of print genre SF, and old-school SATT gaming if I had the time.  Also Pandemic Legacy is the best game ever.

Offline The Deposed King

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
    • Luke Sky Wachter Blog
« Reply #197 on: May 11, 2012, 04:16:57 AM »
I don't know that I've ever been directly compared to someone I really admire, though people have commented on a certain Douglas Adams influence in some of my work (not for the humour, but for the doing complex ideas well in a few lines, which I take as a high compliment.)

Steven Brust did say I was cute once, though.

Way cool, Neurovore.

The Deposed King

Proverbs 22:7, "The rich rule over the poor, and the borrower is slave of the lender"

cenwolfgirl

« Reply #198 on: May 11, 2012, 06:32:06 AM »
Cool
You two are making me want to though one of my stories to the preverbial wolves
Witch is a first normaly I think such ideas as laughable

Offline Lord Rae

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #199 on: May 11, 2012, 08:43:22 AM »
Cranked out another few pages, and I'm finally back to where I was when I restarted an re-worked the story a few months ago. Just short of 11,500 words. Yay! I've nailed down about 2000 words these last two nights. ;p

Offline Madd

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #200 on: May 12, 2012, 03:20:41 AM »
Sat down and cranked out 500 words tonight!  Was very peaceful.

Offline The Deposed King

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
    • Luke Sky Wachter Blog
« Reply #201 on: May 12, 2012, 03:34:37 AM »
Cool
You two are making me want to though one of my stories to the preverbial wolves
Witch is a first normaly I think such ideas as laughable

When you're ready I wouldn't be afraid.  You can't let fear stop you.  On the other hand make sure your draft is done, and you've done enough editing that you are proud of what you show.

Sometimes comments can be harsh, when readability is low.  It takes a while to build a thick skin.

You can try on baen's bar.  Look around the slush pile and see what others are doing.  Or find some beta readers.

Don't let anything discourage you.  Don't be rushed either but conversely, don't hesitate.  She who hesitates is lost after all.

Just be brave and be ready.  That's all you can do.  I'm sure you'll do fine.  It took me lots of years, and even some comments asking if english was my second language.  Which stung.  But finally I created something I'm very proud of.  I know you can too.

The Deposed King

Offline the neurovore of Zur-En-Aargh

• O. M. G.
  • Riding eternal, shiny and Firefox
    • View Profile
« Reply #202 on: May 12, 2012, 04:05:04 AM »
Now working on Prequel to Thing Which I Should Be Working On, with the intent of collapsing fifteen chapters into nine. I successfully integrated chapters 1 and 2 this evening, and did a polish on 3; next up is to combine what's now 5 and 6 and slot them in as new 2 (they're the start of a different POV thread).

(Also, decided "what dreams may come when we have shuffled off this mortal coil" beats out "o that this too too solid flesh would melt" as thing to be quoted by people offering a one-way uploading service for human minds.)
« Last Edit: May 12, 2012, 03:48:46 PM by the neurovore of Zur-En-Aargh »
Mildly OCD. Please do not troll.

"What do you mean, Lawful Silly isn't a valid alignment?"

kittensgame, Sandcastle Builder, Homestuck, Welcome to Night Vale, Civ III, lots of print genre SF, and old-school SATT gaming if I had the time.  Also Pandemic Legacy is the best game ever.

cenwolfgirl

« Reply #203 on: May 12, 2012, 05:40:12 AM »
When you're ready I wouldn't be afraid.  You can't let fear stop you.  On the other hand make sure your draft is done, and you've done enough editing that you are proud of what you show.

Sometimes comments can be harsh, when readability is low.  It takes a while to build a thick skin.

You can try on baen's bar.  Look around the slush pile and see what others are doing.  Or find some beta readers.

Don't let anything discourage you.  Don't be rushed either but conversely, don't hesitate.  She who hesitates is lost after all.

Just be brave and be ready.  That's all you can do.  I'm sure you'll do fine.  It took me lots of years, and even some comments asking if english was my second language.  Which stung.  But finally I created something I'm very proud of.  I know you can too.

The Deposed King

thank you i needed that kick up the but  :)

cenwolfgirl

« Reply #204 on: May 12, 2012, 08:19:36 AM »
oh nearly 500 words this morning  ;D

Offline Lord Rae

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #205 on: May 12, 2012, 08:41:39 AM »
I procrastinated for about 7 hours tonight instead of actually writing so I only got about 300 words added. I did figure out a naming scheme for certain creatures though so it wasn't a total waste.

cenwolfgirl

« Reply #206 on: May 12, 2012, 09:06:35 AM »
thats good Lord Rae  ;D

Offline trboturtle

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
    • Trboturtle's writing pad
« Reply #207 on: May 14, 2012, 08:48:33 PM »
Well, been working on part of a gaming sourcebook that's behind schedule and instead of one writer, it's been split up among several other writers (Including me). We've got only a couple of weeks to get it all done....

Craig
Author of 25+ stories for Battlecorps.com, the official website for Battletech canon stories.
Co-author of "Outcasts Ops: African Firestorm," "Outcast Ops: Red Ice," & "Outcast Ops: Watchlist"
http://thebattletechstate.blogspot.com

Offline shades of grey

• O. M. G.
  • Cardboard wings and knicker elastic.
    • View Profile
« Reply #208 on: May 15, 2012, 09:41:07 PM »
Broken a barrier.
After leaving a story to hang for a while it's now developing so fast it's as if it's writing itself.

Scary.

cenwolfgirl

« Reply #209 on: May 16, 2012, 03:14:42 AM »
oooh thats good shades  :)

good luck  trboturtle