Author Topic: The I'm Writing Thread.... Celebrate your pages written etc  (Read 129914 times)

Offline The Deposed King

• Posty McPostington
  • Persuasion is the key to success.
    • View Profile
    • Luke Sky Wachter Blog
Re: The I'm Writing Thread.... Celebrate your pages written etc
« Reply #180 on: May 09, 2012, 01:53:04 AM »
You can do it cenwolfgirl!!!!

And Neurovore that's a lot of works.  Way to go~!

The Deposed King

Proverbs 22:7, "The rich rule over the poor, and the borrower is slave of the lender"

The Deposed King (a member of baen's bar)

Offline Lanodantheon

• Conversationalist
  • A Wizard is as a Wizard does...
    • View Profile
« Reply #181 on: May 09, 2012, 02:31:17 AM »
Just finished a "mini-bible" for a TV Pilot for Amazon Studios.

Now to write the 22-minute pilot and the Long Awaited Feature-Length Screenplay TM.
www.obsidianportal.com/campaigns/the-emerald-city  (Nov 2012 Campaign of The Month)

fate-accelerated-star-wars-the-infinite-empire.obsidianportal.com/
(June 2016 Campaign of The Month)

My name is Lanodantheon Thul, Conjure that by your own risk....But first, you have be able to spell it...

Offline Darkshore

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #182 on: May 09, 2012, 03:42:22 AM »
I've just started writing again after a hectic end to my college semester and I've hit a brick wall. I'd joined a writing group and received a lot of lovely feedback from the members, but one of them hit on something that really slapped me into reality. My novel is very similar to DF. I had intended it to be alike, but different, I mean there are a lot of novels with a P.I. for a MC right? But while they loved the voice they said that the fact that he's a P.I., broke, and involved with the Fae might be too close for comfort. Then the idiocy of my Bob-like character, a ghost that speaks through a radio, really hit me as just too much. I'm not sure if I'm worried over nothing or if I should work on changing these similarities asap. The story itself is certainly different and by the end my MC isn't even a P.I. anymore, but the beginning needs to bring in the readers.

Offline The Deposed King

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
    • Luke Sky Wachter Blog
« Reply #183 on: May 09, 2012, 04:54:21 AM »
I've just started writing again after a hectic end to my college semester and I've hit a brick wall. I'd joined a writing group and received a lot of lovely feedback from the members, but one of them hit on something that really slapped me into reality. My novel is very similar to DF. I had intended it to be alike, but different, I mean there are a lot of novels with a P.I. for a MC right? But while they loved the voice they said that the fact that he's a P.I., broke, and involved with the Fae might be too close for comfort. Then the idiocy of my Bob-like character, a ghost that speaks through a radio, really hit me as just too much. I'm not sure if I'm worried over nothing or if I should work on changing these similarities asap. The story itself is certainly different and by the end my MC isn't even a P.I. anymore, but the beginning needs to bring in the readers.

I say finish it as is.  Of course that depends how far you are into the word count.  But honestly, I wouldn't let others stop you.  Pump out the product.  You can always go back and edit some of the more egregious stuff out if its truely full of the suckage.

Pearls and Swine.  Pearls and Swine.

My 2 cents anyways.

don't let anything stop you,

The Deposed King

Proverbs 22:7, "The rich rule over the poor, and the borrower is slave of the lender"

cenwolfgirl

« Reply #184 on: May 09, 2012, 06:45:32 AM »
Thank you D Kinh
(Sorry on my phone)

Good luck every one

Offline Lanodantheon

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #185 on: May 09, 2012, 12:46:07 PM »
I say finish it as is.  Of course that depends how far you are into the word count.  But honestly, I wouldn't let others stop you.  Pump out the product.  You can always go back and edit some of the more egregious stuff out if its truely full of the suckage.

Pearls and Swine.  Pearls and Swine.

My 2 cents anyways.

don't let anything stop you,

The Deposed King

I agree. Just finish it. Get the entire manuscript done as a first draft. There is nothing more satisfying for projects as big as a novel.

Good Fortunes to you, Darkshore.  8)
www.obsidianportal.com/campaigns/the-emerald-city  (Nov 2012 Campaign of The Month)

My name is Lanodantheon Thul, Conjure that by your own risk....But first, you have be able to spell it...

Offline the neurovore of Zur-En-Aargh

• O. M. G.
  • Riding eternal, shiny and Firefox
    • View Profile
« Reply #186 on: May 09, 2012, 01:55:41 PM »
I agree. Just finish it. Get the entire manuscript done as a first draft. There is nothing more satisfying for projects as big as a novel.

I would politely beg to disagree.

Finishing a through draft is really good, granted.  Having an established writer whose work you deeply respect read it and say "wow, that's genuinely good" is better, IME.  And I have a ticking suspicion that having an editor actually buy one of the things might feel better again.

Also, from my observation of writers, getting a Hugo nomination also seems to be up there as a candidate for most satisfying thing that can happen with a novel-sized project.
Mildly OCD. Please do not troll.

"What do you mean, Lawful Silly isn't a valid alignment?"

kittensgame, Sandcastle Builder, Homestuck, Welcome to Night Vale, Civ III, lots of print genre SF, and old-school SATT gaming if I had the time.  Also Pandemic Legacy is the best game ever.

Offline The Deposed King

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
    • Luke Sky Wachter Blog
« Reply #187 on: May 09, 2012, 06:04:49 PM »
I would politely beg to disagree.

Finishing a through draft is really good, granted.  Having an established writer whose work you deeply respect read it and say "wow, that's genuinely good" is better, IME.  And I have a ticking suspicion that having an editor actually buy one of the things might feel better again.

Also, from my observation of writers, getting a Hugo nomination also seems to be up there as a candidate for most satisfying thing that can happen with a novel-sized project.

I do believe you are confusing the issue with facts my good novelist.

Besides for a person stuck in the mud at the bottom of a hill, knowing that the next three hills are even greater rushes to climb...

Not sure if it has that delightful ra-ra-re spin at the end of it, to help encourage completion of that very first hill!  Which I will maintain is a big accomplishment.

The Deposed King

• O. M. G.
    • View Profile
« Reply #188 on: May 09, 2012, 06:56:20 PM »
Not sure if it has that delightful ra-ra-re spin at the end of it, to help encourage completion of that very first hill!  Which I will maintain is a big accomplishment.

Oh, absolutely and utterly, and I do not mean to diminish that for an instant.  Sorry, just being OCDish.

kittensgame, Sandcastle Builder, Homestuck, Welcome to Night Vale, Civ III, lots of print genre SF, and old-school SATT gaming if I had the time.  Also Pandemic Legacy is the best game ever.

cenwolfgirl

« Reply #189 on: May 09, 2012, 06:58:25 PM »
Oh, absolutely and utterly, and I do not mean to diminish that for an instant.  Sorry, just being OCDish.
Just so long as you leave my spelling out of your OCD then we will be fine  ;D
oh and your old  :P ;D
and i just did (five maths questions) and 200 words in my little side project
the latter was more fun

• O. M. G.
    • View Profile
« Reply #190 on: May 09, 2012, 07:03:09 PM »
Just so long as you leave my spelling out of your OCD then we will be fine  ;D

Happy to.

oh and your old  :P ;D

My stepson makes that point quite enough for me to be going on with.  Come to think of it, he's five years older than you.. I guess it must be time to do something wild and crazy to demonstrate I'm not decrepit, again.  (Last time that happened it ended up being a party in an outdoor hot tub while it was snowing, but it's too late in the year to do that now.)

and i just did (five maths questions) and 200 words in my little side project
the latter was more fun

I'm not surprised.

cenwolfgirl

« Reply #191 on: May 09, 2012, 07:08:11 PM »
lol well wild and crazy is fun
though i don't rely party (not suprising i wold much rather read then go anywhere near such a thing) ::)
yeah i was not suprised ether
you can not be that old rely  :)
 i gues your yunger then my gran (in our house the cut off for being old is 60 so you should be safe)

Offline Lanodantheon

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #192 on: May 10, 2012, 09:15:47 PM »
After figuring out the format for TV scripts....or at least what I think is TV Script format... I wrote the Teaser for my Pilot.

The Teaser: A Commercial for a Star Fleet Like organization. What if "Boldly Go Where No One Has Gone Before" was their version of "Be All You Can Be"?

Offline Darkshore

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #193 on: May 11, 2012, 02:13:53 AM »
Thanks for the reassurances all. It just hit me like a ton of bricks. I knew I'd been influenced by him, hell I really look up to the guy and all he's accomplished, but I didn't even think about my novel seeming similar. I've shown some more of my work to the group since then and they can see that the stories certainly differ, but the similarities are something I'll certainly want to tone down. I suppose it's really a compliment, the readers loved my voice and my character and they felt like he was close to Butcher's work. Thing is I really didn't imitate him on purpose...hopefully my voice will differ a bit more noticeably in the long run.

Offline R. S. Leergaard

• Posty McPostington
  • I ink, therefore I am
    • View Profile
« Reply #194 on: May 11, 2012, 02:38:46 AM »
I've had some of the stories I've written compared to both Terry Pratchett (Discworld) and William Goldman (The Princess Bride). It bothered me some, at first, because I felt like they were saying I had no voice of my own. But, upon further review, it could have been a lot worse. If I'm going to be compared to someone, it might as well be someone whose talent I respect and enjoy.  :D
Dance on, md

"Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away." - Philip K. Dick