Author Topic: The I'm Writing Thread.... Celebrate your pages written etc  (Read 129907 times)

Offline KevinEvans

• Conversationalist
  • The Butterfly did it, Alt History
    • View Profile
    • My personal Author page
Re: The I'm Writing Thread.... Celebrate your pages written etc
« Reply #105 on: March 25, 2012, 06:16:44 AM »
The bad thing about voice to text, is that it generates errors...

The good thing about VtTxt, is that it requires an in depth edit....

We made it through about three quarters of the article, more editing tomorrow.

Regards,
Kevin
Are Tech articles written for a nonexistent town in an alternate universe, Fiction?

cenwolfgirl

« Reply #106 on: March 25, 2012, 06:18:42 AM »
thats realy good well done
i use text to speak for other reasons but it has more uses than one  :)

Offline Paynesgrey

• Bartender
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: March 25, 2012, 10:47:42 PM »
Not a damn thing written today... but I got my first 3 chapters/sections edited to reflect the corrections and issues that my Kind and Gentle Beta Proof Super Awesome Readers pointed out.  So now I have a "master document" that's The Story So Far, and it's something I'm pretty happy with.  Got a bunch of ideas, lines and other nuggets tagged into Scrivener so I don't forget them when I'm ready to sit down and start hammering.  Plus, I made Shecky throw up in his mouth some with Pure Bad Writing (intentional, something one of my characters gets caught reading.)

So, I've made progress doing that annoying detail work that's for me harder than actually herding words around my screen.

So right now I'm looking back at what Word tells me is 67 pages, 21879 words.  All of which spawned from a 300 letter character bio for an MMO.

This writing... it's like a sickness, isn't it?\

Ok, just ran this mess through Scrivener to compile it in Proper Manuscript format.. comes to 97 pages if it were happening in a book rather than a typical Word Doc.  Wow.  I had now idea how much I'd actually produced there.
« Last Edit: March 25, 2012, 11:21:09 PM by Paynesgrey »

Offline KevinEvans

• Conversationalist
  • The Butterfly did it, Alt History
    • View Profile
    • My personal Author page
« Reply #108 on: March 26, 2012, 07:04:46 AM »
Well the article is out for review, now on to the next thing, the story that goes with it.

Another case of editing, I have to tweak a few things, but it is ready too.

Regards,
Kevin
Are Tech articles written for a nonexistent town in an alternate universe, Fiction?

cenwolfgirl

« Reply #109 on: March 26, 2012, 02:35:51 PM »
whats that program you used to format it in to a proper book format agene?
and where can i get it
i am still stuck with word at the moment due to the chouncle providing my laptop and funiding or lack of in my cass
got 100 more words before i went to be yesterday witch is not bad wont get any done to day proberly as RL is a bit hectic but might get some done tomorow if i am lucky witch is good

good luck with all your writting everyone

CWG  ;D

Offline Nickeris86

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: March 28, 2012, 02:40:06 AM »
I am actually going to get off my lazy butt at get some work done today.
In the darkest hour i shall be there.

Offline The Deposed King

• Posty McPostington
  • Persuasion is the key to success.
    • View Profile
    • Luke Sky Wachter Blog
« Reply #111 on: March 29, 2012, 02:01:35 AM »
okay so got lodes of school wrk done this week so this morning i took a brake and wort about 500-600 words and broke the 8,000 word barier that has been aluding me these last few munths on my curent book
witch is good

CWG

P.s. good luck with all your writting everyone  :)

Way to go cenwolfgirl!

And I see you spat out another hundred on the 26th.   :D

Keep up the good work everyone and PG it sounds like you are smashing away at things.  Kudos to your proof readers.

Me I spent the last few days doing the first pass editing, up to 69k through the first editing pass.  Which means we did about 25k in 2.5 days.  If I can keep this up, I think the first edit should be done by the end of April.

However in addition to editing, between the day before and the two and half days editing I am now up to 80K on the Sequel.  Yay me!  That 5k a day is where I need to live until this thing gets done.  I wish I was writing again today but I'm out with the artist right now.

Hopefully I'll have 4 covers finished this week, (although 3 might be more realistic)  3 Admiral series, where I'm already writing the sequel and 1 on a side line urban fantasy thing I want to do after I'm done with this.

Guy's back ground is in comic and it shows, but I still think its a killer situation.  Having a number of covers soon to be in hand and not having to sweat about that part when I get the books cleaned up enough to publish.

Keep following the dream guys,!~

The Deposed King

Proverbs 22:7, "The rich rule over the poor, and the borrower is slave of the lender"

The Deposed King (a member of baen's bar)

cenwolfgirl

« Reply #112 on: March 29, 2012, 03:54:48 PM »
thanks and well done any tips for edditing as i am getting to that stage for my first book now
the one i am mostly talking about is the siqual to the first one because i curently have to wait for sooper spell checkers to finnish with it
but its turt me some things about time manigment and asking someone to spellcheck 24,000 + words in one go is unrialistic
got to go do bio coruswork dam  ;D

good luck with all your witting everyone
CWG

Offline synthesis

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: March 30, 2012, 01:37:46 AM »
Hey all.  Okay, so I'd abandoned fiction for the past umpteen years, and have finally come back to it thanks to a big pep talk from my husband :P

I hit the end of chapter 9 and page 114 tonight, so I'm celebrating with a beer and by joining the forums cuz the blue beetle keeps chugging along.

I might be writing crap, but it's still my crap :P All 114 pages of it ;D

Offline trboturtle

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
    • Trboturtle's writing pad
« Reply #114 on: March 30, 2012, 01:42:42 AM »
The MythBusters have proven that some crap can be made shiny, so keep going!  ;D

Craig
Author of 25+ stories for Battlecorps.com, the official website for Battletech canon stories.
Co-author of "Outcasts Ops: African Firestorm," "Outcast Ops: Red Ice," & "Outcast Ops: Watchlist"
http://thebattletechstate.blogspot.com

Offline synthesis

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: March 30, 2012, 01:47:36 AM »
Thanks for that, Craig!  Although, they also blew a hole through someone's house, but hey, that works too :D

I've yet to reveal to very many people that I'm trying to write a book, but I also realized that support is very nice!

*edit--apparently a beer later and I can't distinguish whole from hole
« Last Edit: March 30, 2012, 02:18:09 AM by synthesis »

Offline Starbeam

• Posty McPostington
  • Twitter: @stellamortis
    • View Profile
    • Stella Mortis
« Reply #116 on: March 30, 2012, 03:00:25 AM »
I should probably start posting here again.  Over the weekend I ripped about around 15k out of my WiP.  But probably actually more cause I cut some while replacing with rewrites.  Rewrites are a bitch, especially when you're a quarter of the way in and another piece clicks and negates everything you've *just* rewritten. ...And I have about seven pages still to type up. (yes, I write longhand.)

Oh, and this--
Honestly my thinking place is in the bathroom. I have come up with some good plot points while taking a long shower or brushing my teeth.
One thing I've seen suggested for this kind of thing is a dive slate.  Amazon has a bunch of different sizes.
"You must stay drunk on writing so reality cannot destroy you." Ray Bradbury

Offline synthesis

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: March 30, 2012, 03:08:40 AM »
@ Starbeam

This was something I've been wondering about--I started ripping through (one of the major plot revisions you talked about) and revising last weekend.  But then I couldn't quit.  I'm wondering, is it better to revise or just to make a note to go back and just keep working ahead with whatever change you made?

As for the long hand, I'm a legal pad and blue pilot pen addict :P  Everytime I get stuck on something, I have to step away and go "old school"

Offline Starbeam

• Posty McPostington
  • Twitter: @stellamortis
    • View Profile
    • Stella Mortis
« Reply #118 on: March 30, 2012, 03:45:26 AM »
@ Starbeam

This was something I've been wondering about--I started ripping through (one of the major plot revisions you talked about) and revising last weekend.  But then I couldn't quit.  I'm wondering, is it better to revise or just to make a note to go back and just keep working ahead with whatever change you made?

As for the long hand, I'm a legal pad and blue pilot pen addict :P  Everytime I get stuck on something, I have to step away and go "old school"
If it's something completely major that changes a lot, I go back.  If it's not something so much, I keep going.  But in this instance, the first revision changed when and how a couple characters were introduced.  I kept having a sticking point at just about the 10k point, because I had an organization that I couldn't give a motivation to, and my husband kept telling me to rip it out or introduce it later--I kept saying that wouldn't work, but in this latest revision, I figured out how to do it and make it work.  Which mean I had to kill pretty much everything past about 7k.

My writing notebook right now is a Mead 5 subject, and I've just gone into the second section.  My pen of choice is black, or blue at work, Pilot easy touch.  The ink just flows.

And yay! I've almost got it all typed up tonight.  And tomorrow's a day off, so I'm hoping to get quite a bit written between running errands and leaving for a con.
"You must stay drunk on writing so reality cannot destroy you." Ray Bradbury

Offline Paynesgrey

• Bartender
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: March 30, 2012, 04:02:30 AM »
There was a Literary Challenge on the STO game forums that meshed perfectly with a *much* later chapter in my story.  Spend 3 days cycling things in my head, sat down and hammered it out tonight to make the deadline.  3,000 words, and when I fill out the sections I skimped on (had to fit it into the character limit for the forum) it's going to jump to about 5000 words.