Author Topic: A Startling Revelation  (Read 2328 times)

Offline Darkshore

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
A Startling Revelation
« on: February 08, 2012, 03:29:03 AM »
I was just looking over an old manuscript I had been forced to put on hold over the past few months due to lack of time and wow. The first chapter was freaking beautiful (shocked the crap out of me), but here's the kicker. Some how in the second chapter I went from 1st person past tense to 1st person present tense. I must have completely zoned into my character...It really freaked me out because I did not remember doing this. Anyone else ever notice things like this before?

Offline Nickeris86

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
Re: A Startling Revelation
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2012, 11:21:13 AM »
Yeah, but I have a problem remembering what tense I started my story in a lot of the time lol.
In the darkest hour i shall be there.

Offline meg_evonne

• Posty McPostington
  • With an eye made quiet by the power of harmony
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2012, 01:10:42 PM »
Congrats on the super chapter. So which tense will you continue on?
"Calypso was offerin' Odysseus immortality, darlin'. Penelope offered him endurin' love. I myself just wanted some company." John Henry (Doc) Holliday from "Doc" by Mary Dorla Russell
Photo from Avatar.com by the Domestic Goddess

Offline Darkshore

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2012, 01:24:04 PM »
Thanks :D. I plan to keep it in 1st person past tense, like the Dresden Files. I've always felt really comfortable with that writing style in a horror or noir novel. The mix-up did make me think though. I actually liked a bit of what I'd written in present tense, but I think the majority of readers don't find it enjoyable.

Offline Dresdenus Prime

• Conversationalist
  • More than meets the Wizards Sight
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2012, 01:32:58 PM »
Thanks :D. I plan to keep it in 1st person past tense, like the Dresden Files. I've always felt really comfortable with that writing style in a horror or noir novel. The mix-up did make me think though. I actually liked a bit of what I'd written in present tense, but I think the majority of readers don't find it enjoyable.

I started reading The Hunger Games recently, and I'm actually somewhat irked that it's written in first person present. I'm still really enjoying it, but at the same time it makes me miss my first person past tense-Dresden Files books hehe.
DV Dresdenus Prime v1.2 YR6 FR(M)1 BK+ RP- JB TH++ WGH CL- SW+ BC+ MC++++ SH(Molly++++ Murphy- Elaine-- Mab+++++)

Offline Darkshore

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2012, 01:39:16 PM »
I started reading The Hunger Games recently, and I'm actually somewhat irked that it's written in first person present. I'm still really enjoying it, but at the same time it makes me miss my first person past tense-Dresden Files books hehe.

I think a lot of people get that vibe from that tense (if they notice the tense at all). Not sure why, but it's the reason I feel like I'm better of sticking with what I know. Even though the present tense had a nice urgency to it.

Offline LizW65

• Posty McPostington
  • Better Red than dead...
    • View Profile
    • elizabethkwadsworth.com
« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2012, 02:47:02 PM »
In general I find present tense annoying and pretentious, or else it instills in me a feeling of agitation, kind of the literary equivalent of too much caffeine.  The only instance I can think of where it hasn't bothered me was Sandman Slim (I don't think anyone could reasonably accuse that series of pretention!) and even then it took some getting used to.  I've refused to read a lot of highly recommended books solely because they're written in present tense.  So I would suggest past tense as a more reader-friendly option. :)
"Make good art." -Neil Gaiman
"Or failing that, entertaining trash." -Me
http://www.elizabethkwadsworth.com

Offline Darkshore

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2012, 02:55:15 PM »
In general I find present tense annoying and pretentious, or else it instills in me a feeling of agitation, kind of the literary equivalent of too much caffeine.  The only instance I can think of where it hasn't bothered me was Sandman Slim (I don't think anyone could reasonably accuse that series of pretention!) and even then it took some getting used to.  I've refused to read a lot of highly recommended books solely because they're written in present tense.  So I would suggest past tense as a more reader-friendly option. :)

Sandman Slim is an instance of this done exceedingly well. I read the whole thing before I even took notice that the tense was present. Shows how engaged I was in the story itself.  ;D

Offline Gruud

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 08, 2012, 03:36:54 PM »
Since this is an active post, and the discussion has shifted somewhat to one's like or dislike of present tense, I thought I'd throw something of mine out.

In my WIP, (3rd person, past tense, multi-POV) there is a character who, for this discussion is best described as a bard (i.e, magic in her songs).

I'm no Tolkien, and have no plans to try and write any songs, but I do describe what the songs are about (mostly ballads and tales of heroes, etc.), mixing the words/import of the song to match the activities taking place around her.

But what I've been doing is witing the song descriptions in present tense.

One, it (hopefully) makes it easier for the reader to differentiate between the song and the surrounding "live" action, and two ... well, it just feels right.

So far, the mix seems to work well enough, but I've no idea if it's too far out of current convention, etc.

Any thoughts?

Offline Darkshore

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 08, 2012, 03:38:22 PM »
I'm not quite sure on this. Generally a song is set apart from the prose in way of formatting. I'd have to see this myself before I could really make a judgement.