Author Topic: Are Readers Growing Tired of New Urban Fantasy?  (Read 41765 times)

Offline Snowleopard

• Needs A Life
  • Small but sneaky.
    • View Profile
Re: Are Readers Growing Tired of New Urban Fantasy?
« Reply #210 on: June 16, 2012, 06:53:26 AM »
The book series where there are other types of shifters is Charlaine Harris's Sookie Stackhouse
series and there is a tiger on one of those covers.
Though now that you mention it - I do remember another series similar to the Mercy Thompson and the Alpha and Omega series where there were werepanthers.  Sorry I can't think of the name of the series
or the author.

Offline OZ

• Posty McPostington
  • Great and Terrible
    • View Profile
« Reply #211 on: June 17, 2012, 12:06:50 AM »
The books about the werewolf named Kitty have all sorts of were creatures.
How do you know you have a good book?  It's 3am and you think "Just one more chapter!"

Offline LDWriter2

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
    • Musings of L.E.
« Reply #212 on: June 17, 2012, 03:25:28 AM »

I could very well be getting my covers mixed up. But with what the book covers said I was still under the impression that Mercy's shifters were not wolves. I'll try to find the first one and see if I can remember why.

There was one somewhere that has a lion on the cover. Might be Kitty. The head lion in the pride is a romantically interest of the MC.

Working on Turning Lead into Gold

Offline LDWriter2

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
    • Musings of L.E.
« Reply #213 on: June 17, 2012, 04:04:21 AM »
Getting back to the copycat part of the discussion.

Other writers do it but along those lines I wonder if pro writers have some type of club they belong to, read the same books--on writing--or get some type of Newsletter the rest of us can't get. Because sometimes they copy each other at the same time. Or very close to the same time.

A while back John Levit put in a type of creature in one of his books. One I don't think I've heard of. Not long after Murphy comes out with a book with the same creature, hers is different and has a different role to play but still the same basic idea. The way it works with publishers she probably had the book all the written before or about the same time Levit's came out. So did she get a sneak peek at Levit's, was it a coincident, or did they read the same book or newsletter?

In another two series--won't say which ones because they are on my list of books you should read and I don't want to post a heavy duty spoiler. Only a light one ;) 

Anyway in bother series written by two different writers something happened to the MC way back in childhood that restricted them. Same type of event. So they grew up and became heroes without knowing something. Then later in a life and death situation it is undone and they became how they would have been if that restriction had never happened. By later I mean not in the first few books. Again both books came out at about the same time so unless Writer B got a sneak peak at the Writer A's book Writer B would not have been able to copy what Writer A did.

I find it intriguing.   So coincidence, do they have the same writing book, or?

Okay, I probably made a complete mess of that explanation--try reading it again slowly, if it still makes no sense I can try it again

Working on Turning Lead into Gold

Offline Starbeam

• Posty McPostington
  • Twitter: @stellamortis
    • View Profile
    • Stella Mortis
« Reply #214 on: June 17, 2012, 05:13:00 AM »

I could very well be getting my covers mixed up. But with what the book covers said I was still under the impression that Mercy's shifters were not wolves. I'll try to find the first one and see if I can remember why.

There was one somewhere that has a lion on the cover. Might be Kitty. The head lion in the pride is a romantically interest of the MC.

Yup, sounds like you're definitely referring to the Ilona Andrews Magic books.  Kate Daniels is the main character, and the romantic interest is Curran-a werelion.

Getting back to the copycat part of the discussion.

Other writers do it but along those lines I wonder if pro writers have some type of club they belong to, read the same books--on writing--or get some type of Newsletter the rest of us can't get. Because sometimes they copy each other at the same time. Or very close to the same time.
It's quite a common thing.  And it's something that just ends up happening.  I've seen agents comment at times about how they're suddenly getting submissions of a certain type--not related to any sort of trends.  Most people I've seen comment on it look at it as a sort of subconscious hive mind type thing.
"You must stay drunk on writing so reality cannot destroy you." Ray Bradbury

Offline Snowleopard

• Needs A Life
  • Small but sneaky.
    • View Profile
« Reply #215 on: June 17, 2012, 06:26:18 AM »
I've heard it said that sometimes it's an idea's time and it's just out there in the either so to speak.
I had heard that years ago Harlan Ellison had written a story called the Bleeding Stones - where the
gargoyles in Paris come alive.  He hadn't yet published it but was at the Clarion Writer's workshop when this kid comes in with a story that's almost the exact replica of Harlans.  He didn't know Harlan, computers weren't a big thing then so there was no way he could have found the idea online or done any hacking.
Harlan was honest about the matter and I forget if he gave the kid credit but he did the right thing by the
kid because Harlan could NOT now prove that he'd had that idea before the kid.
(Same thing JB tries to avoid on the Forum with our ideas.)

Offline Shecky

• Bartender
  • O. M. G.
  • Feh.
    • View Profile
« Reply #216 on: June 17, 2012, 11:14:06 AM »
Personally, I imagine it's most likely the result of something out there pop-culture-wise at that time that's triggering the formation of certain ideas.
Official forum rules and precepts; please read: http://www.jimbutcheronline.com/bb/index.php/topic,23096.0.html

Quote from: Stanton Infeld
Well, if you couldn't do that with your bulls***, Leonard, I suspect the lad's impervious.

Offline Yeratel

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #217 on: June 17, 2012, 04:56:45 PM »
Pat Elrod was griping on FB the other day that she needed to come up with a new genre that would put her in the J.K. Rowling class of best-sellerdom, and that vampires and wizards seemed to be overdone.  I suggested to her that the Young Adult market seems to be where the money is, and judging by recent trends, maybe she should try a series about angsty teenage zombies.  She was not enthused.
"Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea. " -RAH

Offline Snowleopard

• Needs A Life
  • Small but sneaky.
    • View Profile
« Reply #218 on: June 17, 2012, 05:52:46 PM »
Vampires are done as a genre and zombies are headed that way.
You're a braver person than I would be.
"Angsty teen age zombies!!" ::) ::)

Offline Marie August

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
    • The Fox and The Firebird
« Reply #219 on: June 17, 2012, 11:11:15 PM »

There is no Lion in the Mercy series. But there are shifters of different sorts. Mercy herself shifts into a coyote, and in the most recent Mercy Book "River Marked" she does meet some shifters who can turn into other things. Like a bird.

Read my fairy tale webcomic, The Fox & The Firebird, at: http://www.fairytaletwisted.com

Offline Shecky

• Bartender
  • O. M. G.
  • Feh.
    • View Profile
« Reply #220 on: June 18, 2012, 12:12:35 AM »
Pat Elrod was griping on FB the other day that she needed to come up with a new genre that would put her in the J.K. Rowling class of best-sellerdom, and that vampires and wizards seemed to be overdone.  I suggested to her that the Young Adult market seems to be where the money is, and judging by recent trends, maybe she should try a series about angsty teenage zombies.  She was not enthused.

Has anyone done anything with intelligent zombies that only eat brains of livestock?
Official forum rules and precepts; please read: http://www.jimbutcheronline.com/bb/index.php/topic,23096.0.html

Quote from: Stanton Infeld
Well, if you couldn't do that with your bulls***, Leonard, I suspect the lad's impervious.

Offline Snowleopard

• Needs A Life
  • Small but sneaky.
    • View Profile
« Reply #221 on: June 18, 2012, 02:31:22 AM »
Not that I've heard of.
Though I understand that there's now a book and/or movie with a zombie as a romantic lead.
Urghhh - "I love you - let me eat your brains!!" ?????????

Offline Yeratel

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #222 on: June 18, 2012, 03:26:05 AM »
Has anyone done anything with intelligent zombies that only eat brains of livestock?

In the Xanth fantasy series by Piers Anthony, there is at least one zombie love story. In Xanth, when a zombie falls in love, it becomes more and more lifelike, until it practically regenerates, as I remember it.
"Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea. " -RAH

Offline the neurovore of Zur-En-Aargh

• O. M. G.
  • Riding eternal, shiny and Firefox
    • View Profile
« Reply #223 on: June 18, 2012, 12:43:08 PM »
Not that I've heard of.
Though I understand that there's now a book and/or movie with a zombie as a romantic lead.
Urghhh - "I love you - let me eat your brains!!" ?????????

The rom-zom-com is at least as old as Shaun of the Dead, no ?

I can't wait for zombies to stop being trendy, they really have no appeal to me.
« Last Edit: June 18, 2012, 06:34:38 PM by the neurovore of Zur-En-Aargh »
Mildly OCD. Please do not troll.

"What do you mean, Lawful Silly isn't a valid alignment?"

kittensgame, Sandcastle Builder, Homestuck, Welcome to Night Vale, Civ III, lots of print genre SF, and old-school SATT gaming if I had the time.  Also Pandemic Legacy is the best game ever.

Offline Snowleopard

• Needs A Life
  • Small but sneaky.
    • View Profile
« Reply #224 on: June 18, 2012, 05:33:28 PM »
^
I'm with you on that one, Neuro.