Author Topic: Are Readers Growing Tired of New Urban Fantasy?  (Read 40670 times)

Offline Naomi

• Participant
  • Wait ... what?
    • View Profile
Re: Are Readers Growing Tired of New Urban Fantasy?
« Reply #165 on: June 03, 2012, 01:29:50 PM »
I see someone has fallen prey to the "spiders are cute and fluffy and good for you and nice-smelling" propaganda.

And, they smell good, too?  Awe-some!   ;)
I'm too young for senior discounts, but old enough to be thrilled when I get carded.

cenwolfgirl

« Reply #166 on: June 03, 2012, 01:43:41 PM »
And, they smell good, too?  Awe-some!   ;)
rely???
have you snifed a spider can not say i have ever snifed a spider

Offline Enchantedwater

• Needs A Life
  • The Wat
    • View Profile
« Reply #167 on: June 03, 2012, 06:37:30 PM »
If I ever see someone sniff a spider I will soot them because i am assuming that they have a death wish.
"It was all like BAM! What now sucka!? Bring on your silly retinas, I got tricks!" - Wat 8)

cenwolfgirl

« Reply #168 on: June 03, 2012, 06:43:26 PM »
lol even if the spider in harmless?

Offline The Deposed King

• Posty McPostington
  • Persuasion is the key to success.
    • View Profile
    • Luke Sky Wachter Blog
« Reply #169 on: June 03, 2012, 11:03:01 PM »
lol even if the spider in harmless?

According to all the Little Miss Muffets on this thread: No.

hahahahah ;)

The Deposed King

Proverbs 22:7, "The rich rule over the poor, and the borrower is slave of the lender"

The Deposed King (a member of baen's bar)

Offline Shecky

• Bartender
  • O. M. G.
  • Feh.
    • View Profile
« Reply #170 on: June 03, 2012, 11:42:43 PM »
According to all the Little Miss Muffets on this thread: No.

hahahahah ;)

The Deposed King

I'm no Muffet. Those curds and whey would've been dropped on the spider to hold it in position, then the bowl would've been broken to kill the evil thing.
Official forum rules and precepts; please read: http://www.jimbutcheronline.com/bb/index.php/topic,23096.0.html

Quote from: Stanton Infeld
Well, if you couldn't do that with your bulls***, Leonard, I suspect the lad's impervious.

Offline Enchantedwater

• Needs A Life
  • The Wat
    • View Profile
« Reply #171 on: June 04, 2012, 01:14:42 AM »
I'm no Muffet. Those curds and whey would've been dropped on the spider to hold it in position, then the bowl would've been broken to kill the evil thing.

The spider will have been rendered unto its proper state, dead!
"It was all like BAM! What now sucka!? Bring on your silly retinas, I got tricks!" - Wat 8)

Offline LDWriter2

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
    • Musings of L.E.
« Reply #172 on: June 04, 2012, 01:35:58 AM »

Now that could make an interesting story. As you probably know they are redoing some of the fairy tales so why not that one.
Working on Turning Lead into Gold

Offline Shecky

• Bartender
  • O. M. G.
  • Feh.
    • View Profile
« Reply #173 on: June 04, 2012, 01:54:38 AM »
Now that could make an interesting story. As you probably know they are redoing some of the fairy tales so why not that one.

Muffet, Alien Spider Slayer. Still wouldn't watch it.
Official forum rules and precepts; please read: http://www.jimbutcheronline.com/bb/index.php/topic,23096.0.html

Quote from: Stanton Infeld
Well, if you couldn't do that with your bulls***, Leonard, I suspect the lad's impervious.

cenwolfgirl

« Reply #174 on: June 04, 2012, 04:06:40 AM »
is it aloud that i laughed at you three ?
as if not too bad  ;D

Offline LDWriter2

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
    • Musings of L.E.
« Reply #175 on: June 04, 2012, 04:47:51 AM »
Muffet, Alien Spider Slayer. Still wouldn't watch it.

Well, I didn't mean alien but maybe a fairy spider. It would involve more than just her running of course.

Hmmm...double hmmm.

Offline LDWriter2

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
    • Musings of L.E.
« Reply #176 on: June 04, 2012, 04:56:08 AM »
But getting back to the subject well my last post probably is on subject...UF.

Anyway, I don't have time to type in all five tonight but here are two more UF writers.

One I haven't seen in person but the online description over at Barnes and Noble.com sounded interesting, maybe lighthearted.

Nightshifted
by Cassie Alexander

Second one here is from my collection. The writer is on my second level...I like reading her stuff but she's not my favorite.
 So:
Margaret Ronald, The Evie Scelan series. All with the word Hunt in the title. There are, maybe, five of them. Ronald's world is darker than DF, very few magic users and most are insane in one form or another. Not always in bad ways.

This series is the final inspiration for two different novels I am writing. I say final because there are a couple of others with the same type of MC.

Offline Zuriel

• Conversationalist
  • It is what it is
    • View Profile
« Reply #177 on: June 04, 2012, 03:07:31 PM »
But getting back to the subject well my last post probably is on subject...UF.

Anyway, I don't have time to type in all five tonight but here are two more UF writers.

One I haven't seen in person but the online description over at Barnes and Noble.com sounded interesting, maybe lighthearted.

Nightshifted
by Cassie Alexander

Second one here is from my collection. The writer is on my second level...I like reading her stuff but she's not my favorite.
 So:
Margaret Ronald, The Evie Scelan series. All with the word Hunt in the title. There are, maybe, five of them. Ronald's world is darker than DF, very few magic users and most are insane in one form or another. Not always in bad ways.

This series is the final inspiration for two different novels I am writing. I say final because there are a couple of others with the same type of MC.

Thanks...again!  I'll be sure and check out these authors.  My wish list of books is growing very long...so I know what I'll be asking for on my birthday and Christmas.  I'd really love to get some, at least, from my library but it sucks, big time.  Will be waiting for the rest of your recommendations...
"I exist, therefore, I obsess."

Offline LDWriter2

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
    • Musings of L.E.
« Reply #178 on: June 09, 2012, 11:42:28 PM »
Time I finally get to finishing my list. One reason I took so long is this next writer. His name-specifically spelling it. Had to look it up and copy it.

Thomas E. Sniegoski  He's might be more paranormal than UF and I would place him either on the bottom of my second level of top of third.

He has out three series I believe. One if YA I also believe.

But the one I want to suggest is the Remy series. Basically Remy is an angel who severed from PTS after the big battle that kicked the devil and his angels out of heaven. So much death and pain got to Remy. So he gave up being an angel and came to earth to live as a human. There are other angels running about or amuck. Evidently that group with the Morning Star-devil- as their leader wasn't the only group cast from heaven. There's a group sentence to live on earth, there are some who are have been given an early release from hell. Various Biblical characters are still alive. Remy meets up with Samson in the third book. He's still super strong and still blind.

Did I mention Laura Resnick? Her UF series is light hearted and is from the POV of an innocent actress who gets caught up with a wizard's war on evil. As wizards go he's kinda weak but they all are in this series.  The series was actually started years ago but because of publisher politics the first one wasn't publicized and was cut off with only one short printing. Resnick restarted it not that long ago but it now starts with book two. I forget when but the original book one will be repainted some time.  But There are only one or two points in book two that refers to book one so it reads okay.

T.A. Pratt also has one out. Kinda of different one. A wizard-Maral Mason- runs a city in the back ground. Hardly anyone knows she is the real power behind everything, she tries to protect her people as well as make money.  This one is on my third level. Not bad writing, kinda dark in places, different, but still a good read.

There might be one or two more if I can find them.                                                                                       

Offline Zuriel

• Conversationalist
  • It is what it is
    • View Profile
« Reply #179 on: June 10, 2012, 02:20:46 PM »
Ah, you didn't forget!

I've seen the name Thomas E. Sniegoski but never bothered to check him out.  I'm particularly interested in his Remy series as anything to do with angels is a particular favorite of mine.

I'll check out the others, too.  Thanks!
"I exist, therefore, I obsess."