Author Topic: Are Readers Growing Tired of New Urban Fantasy?  (Read 41598 times)

Offline Naomi

• Participant
  • Wait ... what?
    • View Profile
Re: Are Readers Growing Tired of New Urban Fantasy?
« Reply #75 on: May 15, 2012, 05:52:09 PM »
The first UF book I recall reading was "Burning Water" by Mercedes Lackey, in 1989.  At that time, I had never heard the phrase "urban fantasy."

I think the urban fantasy genre is growing stronger, rather than weaker.  I am not disillusioned with the genre.  I've seen a problem with the writing quality of some novels, more than the genre itself.  A high quality, well written, UF novel flourishes, and then a number of poorly written knock-offs by other authors get published.  This isn't something that happens solely with UF, though.

Overall, I think reader ennui is less with the genre, and more with the publishing of the same, or similar, story, over and over, without fresh characters, characterization, or good writing.  I know better, yet I've been suckered into buying novels that had an interesting description, with some awesome cover art, only to discover that the writing is sub-par.  That does happen less frequently since I can often view sample chapters online.
I'm too young for senior discounts, but old enough to be thrilled when I get carded.

Offline Enchantedwater

• Needs A Life
  • The Wat
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: May 17, 2012, 08:17:49 PM »
I am a picky reader but as long as the story grips me the genre hardly matters.
"It was all like BAM! What now sucka!? Bring on your silly retinas, I got tricks!" - Wat 8)

Offline LDWriter2

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
    • Musings of L.E.
« Reply #77 on: May 19, 2012, 11:10:22 PM »

I've read Water also and the next one. Even though I stopped reading "Jinx High". She is a good writer and story teller but it was getting too--not sure what dark isn't quite right.
 (Oh BTW I'm new here. I've tried to get on before but the forum didn't seem to like my computer even after I registered.)

Anyway I shop at Barnes and Noble and by the number of UF books(They could have their own category) people are still reading them. And I hope so I have three UF novels I'm revising and a ten plus short stories. For some reason my Muse has grabbed hold of UF and won't let go.  But I do think UF has changed. Some of it is more paranormal like Patricia Brigg's two series. Others are more Romance. They seem to go for the half human half something or another Main Characters now. Of course recently I picked up a new book that seems to be the Butcher type of UF. So it's still around.

The first UF book I recall reading was "Burning Water" by Mercedes Lackey, in 1989.  At that time, I had never heard the phrase "urban fantasy."

I think the urban fantasy genre is growing stronger, rather than weaker.  I am not disillusioned with the genre.  I've seen a problem with the writing quality of some novels, more than the genre itself.  A high quality, well written, UF novel flourishes, and then a number of poorly written knock-offs by other authors get published.  This isn't something that happens solely with UF, though.

Overall, I think reader ennui is less with the genre, and more with the publishing of the same, or similar, story, over and over, without fresh characters, characterization, or good writing.  I know better, yet I've been suckered into buying novels that had an interesting description, with some awesome cover art, only to discover that the writing is sub-par.  That does happen less frequently since I can often view sample chapters online.
Working on Turning Lead into Gold

Offline OZ

• Posty McPostington
  • Great and Terrible
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: May 20, 2012, 12:15:26 AM »
Of course recently I picked up a new book that seems to be the Butcher type of UF. So it's still around.

And the name of this new book? I am always looking for more of "the Butcher type of UF" although I have seen enough threads on this subject to know that not everyone agrees on exactly what books are similar to his.
How do you know you have a good book?  It's 3am and you think "Just one more chapter!"

Offline LDWriter2

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
    • Musings of L.E.
« Reply #79 on: May 20, 2012, 01:48:42 AM »
The title of the book is "Fated" by Benedict Jacka  I haven't read it yet but the blurb on the back makes it sound like the right type.

Then there is "Urban Knight" I think is the title. It reads more like a UA UF.

And have you read the Dog Days series by John Levit? 

Then there's half a dozen short stories by me.  :) 

Offline Starbeam

• Posty McPostington
  • Twitter: @stellamortis
    • View Profile
    • Stella Mortis
« Reply #80 on: May 20, 2012, 02:43:35 AM »
The title of the book is "Fated" by Benedict Jacka  I haven't read it yet but the blurb on the back makes it sound like the right type.
:-D I knew it had to be Fated.  It does very much have a similar feel, to the point where I've started comparing it to Storm Front in the pacing.  And it quite amuses me that the two cover blurbs-one on front and one on back-are from Jim.  Also, the second book in the series, Cursed, comes out May 29.

And I know Shecky will say it's good.
"You must stay drunk on writing so reality cannot destroy you." Ray Bradbury

Offline OZ

• Posty McPostington
  • Great and Terrible
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: May 20, 2012, 08:37:16 PM »
Yes. Fated is (IMHO) very good and very similar to TDF.
How do you know you have a good book?  It's 3am and you think "Just one more chapter!"

Offline Shecky

• Bartender
  • O. M. G.
  • Feh.
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: May 21, 2012, 02:29:00 AM »
:-D I knew it had to be Fated.  It does very much have a similar feel, to the point where I've started comparing it to Storm Front in the pacing.  And it quite amuses me that the two cover blurbs-one on front and one on back-are from Jim.  Also, the second book in the series, Cursed, comes out May 29.

And I know Shecky will say it's good.

Well, yeah. If I didn't think it was outstanding, especially for an author's first genre novel, I wouldn't be beta-reading for him.

Incidentally, the third book in the series, Taken, comes out in three months. I can't tell you more than that, but I CAN tell you that the steady improvement and refinement are yet another thing he shares with Jim. The Alex Verus series is very, very promising.
Official forum rules and precepts; please read: http://www.jimbutcheronline.com/bb/index.php/topic,23096.0.html

Quote from: Stanton Infeld
Well, if you couldn't do that with your bulls***, Leonard, I suspect the lad's impervious.

cenwolfgirl

« Reply #83 on: May 21, 2012, 02:32:22 AM »
do not give me any more books too look up
your killing me here  :(

Offline OZ

• Posty McPostington
  • Great and Terrible
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: May 21, 2012, 03:15:07 AM »
I can't tell you more than that, but I CAN tell you that the steady improvement and refinement are yet another thing he shares with Jim.

Several of my favorite writers show vast improvement in their books through the years. Jim is an example of this. Mystery writer Michael Connelly is another. I am glad to hear you say that Benedict Jacka belongs, at least so far, to this group.

Offline Naomi

• Participant
  • Wait ... what?
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: May 21, 2012, 05:20:10 PM »
But I do think UF has changed. Some of it is more paranormal like Patricia Brigg's two series. Others are more Romance. They seem to go for the half human half something or another Main Characters now. Of course recently I picked up a new book that seems to be the Butcher type of UF. So it's still around.

I get frustrated when I buy a book that is UF, only to discover that it is romance/UF -- focusing too much on a "will they, or won't they, get together" romance aspect between main characters.

I'm going to try Fated, and Dog Days.

Several of my favorite writers show vast improvement in their books through the years.

Kat Richardson is an example of this for me.  I enjoyed her Greywalker story in "Mean Streets" so much that I purchased the first novel of the Greywalker series.  I didn't enjoy that book, but the promise of the series shown in the Greywalker "Mean Streets" story keeps me reading the books.
I'm too young for senior discounts, but old enough to be thrilled when I get carded.

Offline LDWriter2

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
    • Musings of L.E.
« Reply #86 on: May 28, 2012, 01:30:30 AM »
Came back here for one purpose but decided to stay for a while.  :)

First of all: Sorry Cenwolfgirl but there's a new UF out. "Tricked" don't recall the writer. But it's about a Geltic wizard who is hundreds of years old and someone ver powerful is angry at him. Supposedly next in line to Butcher.

And have you tried John Levit's books?

Second of all: Oz said
Several of my favorite writers show vast improvement in their books through the years.

I agree. Butcher is one. Levit is another. Lisa Shearin too--she does regular fantasy. I might include C. E. Murphy but I'm not sure she needed all that much improvement by the time I found her. But there's Laura Anna Gilman too. Maybe Mark Del Franco.  In another genre David Weber but again he was pretty good by the time I found him.

Third of all:
Naomi said,
Kat Richardson is an example of this for me.  I enjoyed her Greywalker story in "Mean Streets" so much that I purchased the first novel of the Greywalker series.  I didn't enjoy that book, but the promise of the series shown in the Greywalker "Mean Streets" story keeps me reading the books.

The same with me. Except I haven't quite bought her books yet but I've seriously thought about it.

Very close to finishing "Side Jobs" and about to start Simon R. Green's next one in his sort of, kinda of new UF series.

Fourth of all:

OZ do I know you from another forum?

Offline Starbeam

• Posty McPostington
  • Twitter: @stellamortis
    • View Profile
    • Stella Mortis
« Reply #87 on: May 28, 2012, 02:59:04 AM »
Came back here for one purpose but decided to stay for a while.  :)

First of all: Sorry Cenwolfgirl but there's a new UF out. "Tricked" don't recall the writer. But it's about a Geltic wizard who is hundreds of years old and someone ver powerful is angry at him. Supposedly next in line to Butcher.
Tricked is the fourth in the Iron Druid series by Kevin Hearne.  The first three are Hounded, Hexed, and Hammered.
"You must stay drunk on writing so reality cannot destroy you." Ray Bradbury

Offline LDWriter2

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
    • Musings of L.E.
« Reply #88 on: May 28, 2012, 03:15:34 AM »
Tricked is the fourth in the Iron Druid series by Kevin Hearne.  The first three are Hounded, Hexed, and Hammered.

Hmmm, didn't say that on the cover. Either back or front. The blurb on the back made it sound like the first one. I've seen the Iron Druid series advertised online a few times but I don't recall ever seeing one in person.

Offline OZ

• Posty McPostington
  • Great and Terrible
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: May 28, 2012, 09:17:07 AM »
OZ do I know you from another forum?

Sorry, not me. This is the only forum that I frequent other than a couple of posts on Harry Connolly's blog and a few on Amazon.