Author Topic: Focused Practitioner question...  (Read 2188 times)

Offline jybil178

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
Focused Practitioner question...
« on: January 29, 2012, 08:06:38 PM »
I have a player who wants to play a focused practitioner.  She wants her focus to be Chi.  What would you call a person who uses Chi as a focus, as their method of casting?

Basically, just was wondering on what one could call themselves in this situation. They want to use the idea of mind over body, ranged strikes using only their body's energy, feng shui as a form of protection or warding of the house, ect for now...

Basically, they are going to take Channel and Ritual at the start of the game, maybe turn into a full blow Sorcerer or Wizard at a later time.  This is what they want for the moment though, and you can't really play the whole prefix-omancer game like you can with a lot of other ideas.

Any thoughts?
my 2 cents

Offline Vargo Teras

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
Re: Focused Practitioner question...
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2012, 08:16:45 PM »
It sounds more like a way of thinking about magic than about a focused practice.  Evocation-wise, yes, it's pretty much just Spirit, but there's very little you can't justify in Thaumaturgy with that particular mindset.  Summoning's about the only thing, and there are plenty of other traditions which leave summoning out as a matter of practice.

Offline jybil178

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2012, 08:38:53 PM »
Yeah, pretty much how I had my mind wrapped around the concept as well.  Our big issue is just trying to think of a way, or a single word small phrase for the High Concept Aspect...  Something that they like and can fall for
my 2 cents

Offline GryMor

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2012, 08:52:38 PM »
This will depend on the framework the player is coming from somewhat, but it seems to me that while Chi manipulation doesn't work very well for a rituals theme (though some perspectives on it could focus it down tightly enough to be comparable to Diabolism in scope), it works great as Sponsored Magic, similar to Soul Fire (but without the catch benefits that drive SF to 5 refresh).

With regards to high concept, I offer the following:
Mystic Martial Artist
Chi Shaper
Feng Shui
Onmyōji
« Last Edit: January 29, 2012, 09:03:54 PM by GryMor »

Offline KnightKD

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2012, 09:04:45 PM »
I'm not sure about others, but when I think of Chi, I think of Kung Fu, and Tai Chi specifically. With your references to spirit strikes it makes me think that's what the player is aiming toward as well. So... I think of High Concepts like "Tai-Chi Master-in-Training" or something similar.

Offline jybil178

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2012, 09:07:22 PM »
Well, the first part of her concept started with chi, inner energy and such. Her Channel would be obviously spirit, and moving from there. Her Ritual idea started with the idea of Feng Shui.  By correlating the natural flow of energy of a room or building, placing the furniture in certain places, having specific color and decorations present could actually work as a form of Warding, repelling certain energies, or keeping entities without a physical body at bay.  These where the original ideas that formed the character concept, now shes just trying to narrow down a name to call it by.

Tired, horrible head ache, not doing a good job of articulating today, and I haven't been to the forums in months >.< thanks though for all your input so far everyone, I really do appreciate it
my 2 cents

Offline Vargo Teras

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2012, 09:35:50 PM »
This will depend on the framework the player is coming from somewhat, but it seems to me that while Chi manipulation doesn't work very well for a rituals theme (though some perspectives on it could focus it down tightly enough to be comparable to Diabolism in scope), it works great as Sponsored Magic, similar to Soul Fire (but without the catch benefits that drive SF to 5 refresh).
It's not just the catch benefit bumping up Soulfire; it's also got much wider latitude on thaumaturgy.  I'd be hesitant to use it as an example.

Offline UmbraLux

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 29, 2012, 10:10:39 PM »
Well, the first part of her concept started with chi, inner energy and such. Her Channel would be obviously spirit, and moving from there. Her Ritual idea started with the idea of Feng Shui.  By correlating the natural flow of energy of a room or building, placing the furniture in certain places, having specific color and decorations present could actually work as a form of Warding, repelling certain energies, or keeping entities without a physical body at bay.  These where the original ideas that formed the character concept, now shes just trying to narrow down a name to call it by.
Wu Tau Student (or sifu / teacher / mistress - whatever fits) might work.  "Wu" is the concept of emptiness, you might replace it with something more descriptive of her style.  Other possibilities may include 'Fu' (returning to roots / where you came from), 'Te' (virtue or inner power), or 'Wu wei' (effortless action).

I like the idea of Feng Shui for Ritual.  Channelling could be flavored either similar to Spirit or as a more physical Biomancy evocation - depending on how she has learned to use it (combat / healing oriented or life / engergy oriented).
--
“As our circle of knowledge expands, so does the circumference of darkness surrounding it.”  - Albert Einstein

"Rudeness is a weak imitation of strength."  - Eric Hoffer

Offline Tedronai

• Posty McPostington
  • Damane
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 29, 2012, 11:02:48 PM »
It's not just the catch benefit bumping up Soulfire; it's also got much wider latitude on thaumaturgy.  I'd be hesitant to use it as an example.

'Much wider' meaning that the only things Soulfire lacks as compared to the actual Thaumaturgy power are specialization bonuses (both the initial free bonus and the option to buy them through Refinement).
Even Chaotic Neutral individuals have to apologize sometimes. But at least we don't have to mean it.
Slough

Offline mithrandirthewhite

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 30, 2012, 03:33:18 AM »
or a single word small phrase for the High Concept Aspect...
I don't play DFRPG, so I apologize if my 2 cents are deemed worthless in this disscussion.

If her discipline is mind over matter, then an idea for a High Concept could be Witch in the Discworld sense or psconist(sp/) in DnD tems
WHAT CAN THE HARVEST HOPE FOR, IF NOT FOR THE CARE OF THE REAPER MAN?