Author Topic: Paranet.  (Read 1194 times)

Offline noom777

• Participant
    • View Profile
Paranet.
« on: January 28, 2012, 11:02:30 PM »
What exactly is the paranet?I have read the novels up to Changes but I can't remember how the paranet works.Dιd it uses technology like the Internet but that kind of technology will blow.Any guesses?I am kind of confused.
Thanks in advance!

Offline CottbusFiles

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
Re: Paranet.
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2012, 11:07:49 PM »
It's more or less a tightly regulated forum i think. Mailinglist eventually with really minor talent printing out stuff for the guys that really can't even handle the old computer at the library. That is what i think it is.

Trouble Aspect : The nazis are trying to kill me
                       I have a phoenix inside of me
                       Nothing goes like i want it to

Offline Vargo Teras

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2012, 11:44:39 PM »
It's not a separate network from the Internet.  It is, as CottbusFiles says, a forum/mailing list/internet community, though I think "tightly regulated" is inaccurate.  I would expect that it's more than a single site, probably a loose network of social networking pages, Yahoo and Google groups with mailing lists, with some people actively involved in national-scale communication and most sticking to the local scale except when one of the former group calls their attention to something.  Since it's composed entirely of minor practitioners, they have little trouble using modern computing technology; by game rules, most of them would need to expend active effort (take mental stress) in order to hex a well-grounded desktop.

Offline UmbraLux

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2012, 11:46:27 PM »
It's a group of people who are aware of the supernatural and may even have some talent.  Few, if any, have enough talent / power to keep up with the real threats.  They keep in touch and pass information through a variety of means - phone, internet, word of mouth, or whatever. 

I think the only means we've seen in the books was phone and in person.  But, since the books are centered on Harry, there could many different means of communication we're not told of.
--
“As our circle of knowledge expands, so does the circumference of darkness surrounding it.”  - Albert Einstein

"Rudeness is a weak imitation of strength."  - Eric Hoffer

Offline Katarn

• Posty McPostington
  • Morgan- Best Warden ever.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2012, 04:11:52 PM »
We know it's mostly, possibly entirely, in the United States, run by Harry and Elaine (I think Ramirez may have unofficial ties where he assists beyond his normal duties as a Warden as well).  It's all the small fishes, in local communities, connected via, well, relatively low-tech communication (probably phones at best).  They're quite numerous, based on comments in GS.  GS also gives an important detail:
(click to show/hide)

Basically, think of it as strength-in-numbers for all those who would be too weak to defend themselves if they were alone.

Offline CottbusFiles

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2012, 06:04:19 PM »
I think somewhere they say that they are moving into europe, establishing the paranet there.

Also look at the Hunternet from the old Hunter game from White Wolf, that seems to be something similiar (maybe)
Trouble Aspect : The nazis are trying to kill me
                       I have a phoenix inside of me
                       Nothing goes like i want it to