Author Topic: query etiquette question  (Read 1849 times)

Offline LizW65

• Posty McPostington
  • Better Red than dead...
    • View Profile
    • elizabethkwadsworth.com
query etiquette question
« on: January 26, 2012, 06:18:16 PM »
Hopefully someone who has been through the query process can answer this for me:  if you have already queried Jane Smith at ABC agency and received a form rejection, how long should you wait before submitting a query (for the same manuscript) to John Jones at ABC Agency?  Or is a rejection by one a rejection by all?  Most agencies' websites have a 'one agent only' qualifier in their submission guidelines, so it isn't all that clear.  Thanks!
"Make good art." -Neil Gaiman
"Or failing that, entertaining trash." -Me
http://www.elizabethkwadsworth.com

Offline Kali

• Posty McPostington
  • Redhead
    • View Profile
Re: query etiquette question
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2012, 07:46:47 PM »
Usually, if an agent at a specific agency feels a query would be good for another agent at the same agency, they'll pass it along. Some agencies specifically say not to submit to multiple agents at the agency.

If it were me, though... it would depend on the rejection.  If it was fairly form and not personalized, I might go ahead and submit to another agent there.  It might mean the agent didn't really give it much of a look and another agent might like it more.  If it were personal, then the agent probably considered it and, I'd think, would've been more likely to hand it to another agent.

As for how long to wait, I don't think there's a time limit.  They expect you to simultaneously submit novel-length stuff anyway, so I'd just include that agent in the next batch of queries you send out.
We don't get just one life.  We get as many as we can cram into one lifetime.

Visit my page! JessaLynch.com

Offline meg_evonne

• Posty McPostington
  • With an eye made quiet by the power of harmony
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2012, 12:39:31 AM »
Hey Liz, I agree with Kali on agents referring your work on if they think someone else would be interested. I actually had that happen to my joy, from Michael Bourret to Jim McCarthy. Another rejection followed, but it was fun! (Theoretically, you picked the agent most likely to like your work in the first place, so moving on isn't helpful. OTOH, working hard to get the name of the sub-agents for your favorite agents might get you a nod to the master guru's desk.) Still, in some offices the number of agents is staggering, such as Writer's House. You might contact them directly and ask their guidelines. I used to imagine they kept some master list of submissions. Now, I think it more likely that the slush readers change so often and so many queries roll past that large places might not notice repeats. Still, is it worth the risk, because what if you do hit the same desk and same reader--I suspect your name would turn to mud around the water cooler quickly. Ouch... It certainly would be considered non-professional in my opinion.

I believe you get one shot. One. See below link. That's why you query your mid-list first to assure that someone is asking to read more pages, or maybe two have asked for your pages then jump to the top of the list.

In researching agents, I came across the folks at BookEnds. Jessica has the most amazing blog and she posts regularly great advice. Although she is out on maternity leave, so it might be someone else filling in for her. Doesn't matter; the content is great and informative. This is what she posted in 2008 on re-submissions. I hope it helps! If you drop in, leave a comment and mention I sent you. A little back-sided name recognition would always be helpful if I query there.

http://bookendslitagency.blogspot.com/2008/03/resubmissions-and-requeries.html
"Calypso was offerin' Odysseus immortality, darlin'. Penelope offered him endurin' love. I myself just wanted some company." John Henry (Doc) Holliday from "Doc" by Mary Dorla Russell
Photo from Avatar.com by the Domestic Goddess

Offline LizW65

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2012, 09:58:20 PM »
So, basically, proceed at my own discretion--but if the agency is a really big one, I may have a bit more wiggle room?
And Meg, thanks for the information on BookEnds--they're actually on my list of people to query.

Offline meg_evonne

• Posty McPostington
  • With an eye made quiet by the power of harmony
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2012, 02:23:36 PM »
Now I'm in a query. As in 'doubt in my mind'. One agent suggested that I check with two other agents in her agency that she named. I didn't pursue, because when I read their client list etc I didn't think we were a match--not that they aren't terrific agents. At the time, I thought she was just being kind and gracious.  I also assumed that if she were truly interested, that she would have sent it over to them. Did I error?

Perhaps I just added two more names to my list to contact? Also, I would be introducing my query with a XXXXX suggested that I forward my work to you for consideration.

Yeah, in retrospect, I'd say I screwed up.

This query process is simply no fun. I'm in sales and getting rejections is no skin off my back, but the activity yanks me out of the creative side of my brain. Frankly, anything that pulls me away from that, given the odds of finding an agent, doesn't seem logical. Ultimately, I write for myself and my satisfaction comes from seeing my tool box skills and my quality improve. Still, that is actually asinine... I know... "Get thee to the query nunnery, Meg!"

"Calypso was offerin' Odysseus immortality, darlin'. Penelope offered him endurin' love. I myself just wanted some company." John Henry (Doc) Holliday from "Doc" by Mary Dorla Russell
Photo from Avatar.com by the Domestic Goddess

Offline Kali

• Posty McPostington
  • Redhead
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2012, 02:36:04 PM »
Yeah, sadly I'd have to concur. If the agent suggested it, you could've gone for it safely. You could even have included it in your query letter. "Agent Name suggested I send my query to you" could've been tucked in and probably would've skipped you over a layer of slush pile right there.  But if you really didn't think they were a good fit, then better no agent than a bad one, I think.

But that's me, and it's not like I'm burning up any best-sellers lists, here.
We don't get just one life.  We get as many as we can cram into one lifetime.

Visit my page! JessaLynch.com

Offline LizW65

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2012, 03:16:42 PM »
Yeah, I should think something like "Dear Mr. Jones:  I am contacting you on the recommendation of your colleague, Ms. Smith" would be a perfectly acceptable opener.
And Kali, cool website.  Is the full story of The Little Black Box available anywhere?