Author Topic: Help with my religion!  (Read 2237 times)

Offline synobal

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
Help with my religion!
« on: January 25, 2012, 07:27:06 PM »
Okay so I'm an atheist I'll say that right now, sorry if it offends anyone but that is where I come from. So writing about religion or creating religion for my fantasy setting is -hard- because almost all my religions tend to end up being extreme in their negative aspects. I'm trying to avoid that and so far I think I've done a decent job. I could be wrong who knows.

So here is my first religion as I've gotten it written in my outline.
(click to show/hide)

I'm not sure what to call this, I'm leaning towards nobleism? (noblism?) but I dunno yet. Does anyone know if there are any real world analogs to this religion? I'd done a bit of research and nothing seems to really touch upon it.  Any thoughts or comments are appreciated.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2012, 10:44:59 PM by synobal »

Offline Snowleopard

• Needs A Life
  • Small but sneaky.
    • View Profile
Re: Help with my religion!
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2012, 10:40:29 PM »
That sounds like a wildly mutated form of ancestor veneration, synobal.
Maybe try the word Patrician instead of Noble.  Noblism sounds a bit like elitism.
I hope that helps.
Suggestion: The main rule in this section is to 'not' post your writing so JB sees it.
(If he happens to read something by someone else that he was planning to use in one of his stories - he then can't use it because he wouldn't be able to prove that he had the idea first.)
Just put your idea in Spoilers and that way JB can't accidentally run across it.

Offline synobal

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2012, 11:07:39 PM »
Hmm Patricianism I dunno when you use a word like Patrician you're sort of promising a certain 'society' to your reader. Yes I have nobles, but do I have Patrician? Which are roman nobles. My fantasy setting doesn't really use Romantic society as a base, it's an idea but I don't want to make a promise to the reader I can't keep.

Offline Snowleopard

• Needs A Life
  • Small but sneaky.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2012, 11:11:32 PM »
Just a suggestion, synobal. :D
Use whatever word works for you and fulfills your promise to the reader.

Offline MClark

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2012, 01:38:33 AM »
Here are some thoughts, hidden by spoiler. Is this ok, or is sending a PM better?

(click to show/hide)

Offline MClark

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2012, 01:45:26 AM »
You may have already heard this, but here is the writingexcuses podcasts on Religion in World Building.

http://www.writingexcuses.com/2008/08/10/writing-excuses-episode-27-world-building-religion/

Offline synobal

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2012, 01:46:52 AM »
Thanks MClark, I've listened to, the pod cast already and it helped some. Your questions helped more though.

Offline Snowleopard

• Needs A Life
  • Small but sneaky.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2012, 03:13:22 AM »
Here are some thoughts, hidden by spoiler. Is this ok, or is sending a PM better?

(click to show/hide)

That works just fine MClark.  It's not expounding on an idea as you're doing that's the trouble it's more people's own fiction that JB has to watch out for, as I understand it.  And yes, sometimes it can be a fine line.
This thread by Mickey Finn explains it.
http://www.jimbutcheronline.com/bb/index.php/topic,15778.0.html

Offline Paynesgrey

• Bartender
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 26, 2012, 02:00:55 PM »
Consider sniffing around both Ptolemaic and Shinto traditions, as your world's religion seems to combine some elements of both. 

Offline Kali

• Posty McPostington
  • Redhead
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 26, 2012, 02:22:56 PM »
It's not an uncommon belief, actually, among pagans.  As Sagan put it (though he'd spin to hear it used for religious purposes), "We are a way for the cosmos to know itself."  It doesn't have a name that I know of, though.  Sorry.
We don't get just one life.  We get as many as we can cram into one lifetime.

Visit my page! JessaLynch.com

Offline The Deposed King

• Posty McPostington
  • Persuasion is the key to success.
    • View Profile
    • Luke Sky Wachter Blog
« Reply #10 on: February 04, 2012, 10:17:36 AM »
Reminds me of Raven Strike by Patricia Briggs.  where her gods were split asunder into multiple pieces of themselves never to be recombined again for fear dark forces would enter the world.  all the deities except one did this voluntarily.  The others weren't sure he'd say yes and if he had time to prepare could resist and the world would fall.  So while there were lots of pieces of certain gods floating around as Mages or Bards or Healers etc and whenever someone with a mantle died it would pass to a new born child.  This warrior god was only in like 7 peices and the people carrying his mantle had a disturbing tendency to go insane.

So I guess the question is,  do your noble families only decend by blood line or does the mantle pass outside the family and thus someone who would otherwise be peasant born become part of house Swahili instead.  And is there prejudice against outsiders joining hte family.  Plus what would happen if a child of a noble born didn't recieve a mantle.  Would he be half noble?  A trusted famiily retainer?  Part of a secret league of retainers who felt they were wronged and a subversive element out to topple the nobles from power and install themselves?

The Deposed king

Proverbs 22:7, "The rich rule over the poor, and the borrower is slave of the lender"

The Deposed King (a member of baen's bar)

Offline FlaggerX

• Conversationalist
  • born of normal parents
    • View Profile
    • Everything 2
« Reply #11 on: February 19, 2012, 12:31:26 AM »
There are a couple of issues here.  One, if only an elect matter then societies will develop mechanisms to help these people learn and grow.  The successful will be better at it because knowledge is power.    Of course that means anyone opposing your favored God, will not want these elect to be successful.   They may become targets.    And how will this gathering of knowledge benefit/affect the living?  There must be some kind of feedback loop or the whole thing doesn't matter.