Author Topic: Surrendering your Game to Aspects, Compells and Fate Points  (Read 1352 times)

Offline CottbusFiles

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
Surrendering your Game to Aspects, Compells and Fate Points
« on: January 23, 2012, 09:48:11 PM »
Do you do that? Just compel as much as you can (either as player or as pc) and look where the story and the pacing is taking you? Do you use Fatepoint declaration a lot and liberally (like coming into a murder scene and declaring that there are wolftracks, the victim has bite wounds and all of his money and jewelery are stolen instead of waiting for GM information)

Has anyone done this/do you do this and how well does that work?
Trouble Aspect : The nazis are trying to kill me
                       I have a phoenix inside of me
                       Nothing goes like i want it to

Offline CrackedOzy

• Participant
    • View Profile
Re: Surrendering your Game to Aspects, Compells and Fate Points
« Reply #1 on: February 29, 2012, 06:45:08 AM »
Sorry for the thread necro, but I was a little disappointed to see that no one had responded to this thread.

As it happens, I would LOVE to run a game where my players made declarations left and right and let themselves be tossed about by compels. Sadly I think most players are too used to letting the GM dictate the course of the story to make declarations like you mentioned. Also, many of players have a hard time wrapping their heads around "something bad happening to my character is a good thing".

Offline Silverblaze

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 29, 2012, 01:53:48 PM »
I think my group "could" do it.  I think my GM could handle it. (this idea requires a lot of on the fly work by the GM, lots of improvisational tools/skills)  I just don't think I'd like a long term game played/run that way.  Maybe a one-off here and there for fun. 

Offline sinker

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 29, 2012, 05:49:43 PM »
Agreed.

Offline Katarn

• Posty McPostington
  • Morgan- Best Warden ever.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2012, 02:31:41 PM »
I think most GMs do this to a subtle degree (ie work in declarations players have made).  It's something that would be very interesting to try, and would be great for improv skills).  It'd almost be better to do IRL, because on the site a GM could theoretically spend a few hours thinking of responses.