Author Topic: Evil Acts focus item question  (Read 2621 times)

Offline Shadowman17

• Participant
    • View Profile
Evil Acts focus item question
« on: January 21, 2012, 09:38:20 PM »
Hey folks, I was wondering if someone could answer a question for me. I was looking through the Evil Acts case file recently, and one of the PCs has a couple focus items that confuse me. It's stated like this:

Focus Items
Bracelet made of hollow stones: +1 Offensive Control with Air; +1 Defensive Control with Earth
Magnifying Lens: +1 to both Complexity and Control with Divination

Now, shouldn't these items take up a total of five slots? The bracelet should be four (2 for the total bonuses x 2 for the number of elements). This character doesn't have any points in Refinement, so they should just have the four slots, correct? What am I missing? Sorry if this question has been asked and answered, but I couldn't find a thread about it. Any help would be appreciated.

Offline Blackblade

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
Re: Evil Acts focus item question
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2012, 09:54:23 PM »
I don't remember there being anything in the rules about multiplying for extra elements.

Offline Shadowman17

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2012, 09:56:50 PM »
The number of slots an item uses is equal to the number of elements multiplied by the total of the bonuses (YS278).

Offline Blackblade

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2012, 10:40:01 PM »
Hm.

The example they give in the rules is for an item that offers +1 offensive power and control to both fire and earth.  That would, in effect, be giving four +1 bonuses.

I haven't read Evil Acts, but based off of your description, the bracelet is only giving two +1 bonuses.

Now, I'm not sure if the focus item is strictly legal, but it seems to be balanced properly.

Offline UmbraLux

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2012, 11:12:32 PM »
The number of slots an item uses is equal to the number of elements multiplied by the total of the bonuses (YS278).
The text is less than clear, that's certain.  However, taking the paragraph's points in reverse order, we get the following:
  • A single focus item has one bonus value which applies to all relevant types & elements.
  • Slots required equals bonus value times the number of elements / types.
So if the value is 1 and you have two elements, it takes two focus slots.
--
“As our circle of knowledge expands, so does the circumference of darkness surrounding it.”  - Albert Einstein

"Rudeness is a weak imitation of strength."  - Eric Hoffer

Offline Shadowman17

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2012, 11:32:36 PM »
Right, and the bracelet has one bonus for fire, one for earth, for a total of two, times two elements, for four slots. My issue (and I'm sorry for not stating this more clearly) is with the lens item. Where does the character get the space for that without points in Refinement?

Offline UmbraLux

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2012, 11:58:39 PM »
My apologies, I misunderstood - thought you were talking about pricing a single item at 4 slots.   :-[  You're talking about the Sokolowski character correct?  Looks like he has both Evocation and Thaumaturgy with two focus items from each.  Total of four, two are Evo and two are Thaum.
--
“As our circle of knowledge expands, so does the circumference of darkness surrounding it.”  - Albert Einstein

Offline Tedronai

• Posty McPostington
  • Damane
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2012, 12:23:58 AM »
The problem with the bracelet isn't that it is undercosted at 2 slots, but that it breaks the rules by applying different bonuses to different elements.
Even Chaotic Neutral individuals have to apologize sometimes. But at least we don't have to mean it.
Slough

Offline Shadowman17

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 22, 2012, 12:26:29 AM »
But shouldn't the bracelet by four slots in theory? My initial assessment was wrong. Both items together would take up six slots, not five.

The only way around this that I can see is if we consider the bracelet's bonuses to be added, not multiplied. One point in Offensive Control for Air for one slot plus one point in Defensive Control for Earth, not multiplied because the either bonus is for a single element, rather than applying to both. I can't find any language in Your Story that mentions a focus item like this.

Offline UmbraLux

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 22, 2012, 12:35:29 AM »
But shouldn't the bracelet by four slots in theory?
The bracelet is a value 1 focus which affects Offensive Control with Air and Defensive Control with Earth - two element types.  So total cost is one (the focus value) times two (the number of element types) = two slots.  That help?
--

Offline Shadowman17

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 22, 2012, 12:43:18 AM »
I guess I was counting the Offensive Control for Air and Defensive Control for Earth as two separate bonuses, with 1 point for each, totaling 2 points.

Offline Blackblade

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 22, 2012, 12:59:47 AM »
The problem with the bracelet isn't that it is undercosted at 2 slots, but that it breaks the rules by applying different bonuses to different elements.

Yes.  This is why the "Multiply bonus times elements" is giving an incongruously high number. 

Offline UmbraLux

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 22, 2012, 01:06:49 AM »
Yes.  This is why the "Multiply bonus times elements" is giving an incongruously high number.
Only if you count the bonus multiple times.   ;)
--

Offline Tedronai

• Posty McPostington
  • Damane
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 22, 2012, 01:56:49 AM »
If it gives bonuses to two elements, it should gives all bonuses it gives to each of those two elements.
Even Chaotic Neutral individuals have to apologize sometimes. But at least we don't have to mean it.
Slough

Offline Shadowman17

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 22, 2012, 02:43:27 AM »

Where does it say that you can't do that?