Author Topic: I need songs for funeral scene  (Read 3036 times)

Offline gravesbane

• Participant
    • View Profile
I need songs for funeral scene
« on: December 16, 2011, 02:38:59 AM »
I am wright a funeral scene. I want there to be three songs played. I already have "What A Wonderful World" by Louis Armstrong and "Over The Rainbow" By Israel Kamakawiwo'ole but I still need a third title. I want another tune that that is hauntingly beautiful. Please help I have been stuck for months on a good title. Thanks in advance.
Death that restful lullaby to mine enemies my hand is the melody and my sword the lyrics.

Offline Gruud

• Participant
    • View Profile
Re: I need songs for funeral scene
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2011, 11:18:02 AM »
When I was a teenager one of my friends died. He had several brothers who stood as his pallbearers, and they carried the casket from the funeral home out to the gravesite.

The song they played was "He ain't heavy, he's my brother" and while up until that point I had always found the song to be a bit hokey, after that, and to this day, I can't hear it without getting a lump in my throat and tears in my eyes.

It was a long and very powerful walk ...

FWIW.

Offline Paynesgrey

• Bartender
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2011, 02:54:23 PM »
I am wright a funeral scene. I want there to be three songs played. I already have "What A Wonderful World" by Louis Armstrong and "Over The Rainbow" By Israel Kamakawiwo'ole but I still need a third title. I want another tune that that is hauntingly beautiful. Please help I have been stuck for months on a good title. Thanks in advance.

Can you tell us more about the character and how the character died?  That might help... a song dripping with Noble Self Sacrifice wouldn't quite fit at funeral for a small child who got sick, for example.

And are you planning on writing in the lyrics, or prefering to use a song "everyone knows" and just mention the name?

Offline trboturtle

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
    • Trboturtle's writing pad
« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2011, 08:20:46 PM »

Solo piper playing "Coming Home" or "Amazing Grace"  -- the version done by the pipes and drums of the Royal Scots Dragoon Guards is especially haunting and beautiful....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M8AeV8Jbx6M&feature=related

Craig
Author of 25+ stories for Battlecorps.com, the official website for Battletech canon stories.
Co-author of "Outcasts Ops: African Firestorm," "Outcast Ops: Red Ice," & "Outcast Ops: Watchlist"
http://thebattletechstate.blogspot.com

Offline meg_evonne

• Posty McPostington
  • With an eye made quiet by the power of harmony
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2011, 09:34:18 PM »
When I was a teenager one of my friends died. He had several brothers who stood as his pallbearers, and they carried the casket from the funeral home out to the gravesite.

The song they played was "He ain't heavy, he's my brother" and while up until that point I had always found the song to be a bit hokey, after that, and to this day, I can't hear it without getting a lump in my throat and tears in my eyes.

It was a long and very powerful walk ...

FWIW.
How very moving and powerful.

Amazing Grace came to mind to me as well, like Craig's suggestion. Here's a cheat sheet, grab a hymnal from any church. They are organized by type. You'll find funeral songs all together, I believe. You can stop by any church, sit in a pew, and research away.  No one will mind.
"Calypso was offerin' Odysseus immortality, darlin'. Penelope offered him endurin' love. I myself just wanted some company." John Henry (Doc) Holliday from "Doc" by Mary Dorla Russell
Photo from Avatar.com by the Domestic Goddess

Offline gravesbane

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2011, 01:07:06 AM »
Sorry for not being clear. The father is laying his miscarried son to rest. The mother was shot by the baddie. Both the mother and father didn't know she was preggers. I figure she was about 14 weeks along. After the birth of their daughter doctors told them she could never get pregnant again. The mother is in a coma. The father has decided to keep it a secret from her if she ever wakes up. He is afraid that the news would kill her. Thanls for help. I thought of Amazing Grace but, it seems to be a part of almost every depiction of a funeral.
« Last Edit: December 17, 2011, 01:13:23 AM by gravesbane »
Death that restful lullaby to mine enemies my hand is the melody and my sword the lyrics.

Offline hank the ancient

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile

Offline MX

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 17, 2011, 03:40:33 AM »
Angel or Full of Grace by Sarah McLachlan.

Say My Name by Within Temptation.

Only Time by Enya.

Offline ItsallSuesfault

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
    • My Facebook/SoapBox
« Reply #8 on: December 27, 2011, 08:30:34 PM »
Broken by evenescence is sad,
DV Geek Code 1.2 BK++ YR 7  JB+ TH++ CL+++ BC++ MC+ SH(Molly)+++ SH(Murphy)+ SH-(Mab) Elaine=Future Knight of Summer/Former Necromancer.

Offline Snowleopard

• Needs A Life
  • Small but sneaky.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 27, 2011, 08:38:40 PM »
In the Arms of an Angel by Sarah McLachlan
Tears of an Angel by RyanDan  (particularly heartbreaking for the scene you describe)

Offline Paynesgrey

• Bartender
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 27, 2011, 08:44:40 PM »
It Can't Rain All The Time by Jane Siberry, from The Crow.

Offline Haru

• Posty McPostington
  • Mentally unstable like a fox.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 27, 2011, 09:18:43 PM »
Tears in Heaven from Eric Clapton, especially since he wrote it for his dead son, so there is a strong connection to your story here. I just heard it the other day and was reminded again, when I saw the thread.
“Do you not know that a man is not dead while his name is still spoken?”
― Terry Pratchett, Going Postal

Offline Lord Rae

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 28, 2011, 06:34:19 AM »
I guess because the video had a funeral in it I always think of funerals for the song but....

November Rain by Guns N Roses.

Offline gravesbane

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 30, 2011, 02:22:27 PM »
Wow. Thanks everyone for your suggestions. It means a great deal to me that I can ask for help and recieve so many responses.