Author Topic: Questions about evocation attack,block and minor things.  (Read 1395 times)

Offline noom777

• Participant
    • View Profile
Questions about evocation attack,block and minor things.
« on: December 07, 2011, 05:59:45 PM »
First,when you attack using a spell with 7 power and you roll 9 on Discipline do the opponent need to pass the 9 success of yours to avoid being hit or the power of 7 which you put into the spell ?
Second,when you make a Block using evocation can you put 3 power to make the dificulty of the block, 2 to prolong it's effect and 2 to effect multiple allies in the same zone,for a total of 7 power all in a single block action?Also,when I put 5 power to my evocation block it doesn't matter how high I rolled for discipline as long as I rolled at least a total of 5 right?For example : I put 5 power and I have a result of 7 discipline,my opponent doesn't need to beat the 7 total but the 5 power I put in it right?
And,because the example in the book confused me,if you spend 2 power in your evocation block to prolong it's duration you get it's effect for 3 exchanges total,the one you just used it in and the two after that right?
Third,if you want to draw a protective magic circle in the middle of combat to protect your allies,how it can be done?
Fourth,,is it possible an evocation block with fire as the element?
Last,when a werewolf wants to change form man to wolf after combat has started what kind of action it will be?

Sorry if I confused you!I am really excited with this rpg.
Thanks for the support!

Offline Tedronai

• Posty McPostington
  • Damane
    • View Profile
Re: Questions about evocation attack,block and minor things.
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2011, 06:09:28 PM »
1) They defend against an accuracy 9, weapon 7 attack.
2) you can
2b) correct
2c) correct
3) there is no RAW answer to this, but a Lore maneuver would likely suffice under most circumstances
4) yes
5) that depends on the nature of the 'werewolf' in question, but for those with Human Form / Beast Change, the action is standard (the best they can do in combination with that is a supplemental action such as moving one zone)
Even Chaotic Neutral individuals have to apologize sometimes. But at least we don't have to mean it.
Slough

Offline computerking

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
    • Into the Dark
« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2011, 08:01:15 PM »
5) that depends on the nature of the 'werewolf' in question, but for those with Human Form / Beast Change, the action is standard (the best they can do in combination with that is a supplemental action such as moving one zone)
Actually, According to the Shapeshifting rules, Unless the shifting power specifically says otherwise in its description, shifting is a Supplemental action, so a Standard action can still be performed (at -1) in the same exchange in many cases, including with Beast Change.
« Last Edit: December 07, 2011, 08:03:33 PM by computerking »
I'm the ComputerKing, I can Do Anything...
Into the Dark, A Podcast dedicated to Villainy
www.savethevillain.com

PS: %^#@ Orbius. This may or may not be relevant to the discussion, but whatever.

Offline sinker

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2011, 08:11:55 PM »
First one Tedronai is right, they have to overcome the nine shift attack, and if they don't then you add the seven shifts to the stress caused.

For your second question I would point out that while you can do that, a three shift block is going to be completely ineffective unless you're dealing with unskilled opponents. A better solution might be to take the two shifts for duration and put them back into effect (giving you a five shift block that lasts for one exchange) and then adding duration on the following exchange using the rules for prolonging spells on YS259. Or you can do whatever, I'd just point out that three shifts of effect are not difficult to achieve.

As for number three there are many different ways to do this. The book says that a circle acts like a threshold, so you can perform a simple maneuver and then invoke the aspect for effect, giving you a threshold determined by your GM. You could also work out with your GM the idea of a circle being a quick ward essentially, with it's own ritual, etc. Finally you could also treat it as a lore based block. The best way to do this is talk to your GM and your table and find an option that works for all of you.

With four you have to understand how blocks work. All blocks have a context. You are doing X to prevent Y. If X can reasonably prevent Y then all is good. So if you want to prevent attacks against you with fire then you have to come up with a way that works. One way that I can think of off of the top of my head is to used blinding white flames (or smoke) to make yourself hard to see. Of course a canny GM might try to use that against you, since you are by no means immune to blinding yourself, but I'm sure there are other ways to do it too. You just have to come up with the how.

Finally on five Tedronai is wrong. YS174 says that all shapeshifting is done as a supplemental action unless noted otherwise. As Beast change does not say otherwise it's fair to assume that it takes a supplemental action. (Damn, computerking got there first)

Offline Tedronai

• Posty McPostington
  • Damane
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2011, 09:48:55 PM »
my bad, sorry; computerking and sinker have it right on question 5
Even Chaotic Neutral individuals have to apologize sometimes. But at least we don't have to mean it.
Slough

Offline noom777

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2011, 07:36:36 AM »
Thank you very much!