Author Topic: Need help Finishing a Creature  (Read 2786 times)

Offline Selrach

• Conversationalist
  • You'll never guess
    • View Profile
Need help Finishing a Creature
« on: November 17, 2011, 07:05:16 AM »
While thinking of arguments for Sanctaphrax, I came up with an amusing idea for a creature  but had no real idea but some basic concepts.

The base idea was a little gremlin with Gigantic tusks and maybe some speed powers. I can think of no name nor justification for why...but want to make it anyway.

HC: Little Dude with Huge Tusks
T: They're F*ing Heavy 

Powers:
[-1] Natural Weaponry: Tusks: Weapon 2 
[-1] REALLY Big Tusks: Tusks are Weapon 4
[-2] Inhuman Speed

Skills:
+3: Fists Athletics
Apparently I would much rather post than sleep.

Offline Sanctaphrax

• White Council
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
Re: Need help Finishing a Creature
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2011, 09:32:52 PM »
Give him Diminutive Size and a stunt letting him ignore 2 points of armour with tusk attacks. Maybe give him some other building block powers too.

Then fill in the skill pyramid, pick an origin story, and bob's your uncle.

Offline computerking

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
    • Into the Dark
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2011, 09:33:52 PM »
Hmm... Could the "explosive" add-on for Natural weaponry be explained by the little guy closing his eyes and spinning like a dervish?
I'm the ComputerKing, I can Do Anything...
Into the Dark, A Podcast dedicated to Villainy
www.savethevillain.com

PS: %^#@ Orbius. This may or may not be relevant to the discussion, but whatever.

Offline Sanctaphrax

• White Council
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2011, 09:36:36 PM »
I think you mean Area Weaponry. Explosive Weaponry is the one that forces you to hit zones.

You'll want to give him Selective Weaponry too if you give him Area Weaponry. Unless you want him to kill himself.

Offline Becq

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2011, 11:16:06 PM »
Instead of a blanket weapon 4 on the tusks, I'd suggest giving him stunts something like these:
Chaaaarge!  When attacking with his tusks following a charge (ie, a supplemental move action followed by an attack in the new zone), any stress inflicted is increased by +2.
Built-in, Natural Targeting Brackets.  When charging (see above) his attack roll with tusks gains a +1.

Combined with the freebie movement from Inhuman Speed, this could be fairly potent, I think.

A random naming idea:  "The Sabre-Toothed Gnome"?

Offline Sanctaphrax

• White Council
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2011, 02:25:02 AM »
Excellent name idea.

I like the charge-focus idea too, but I've already made something like that.

So...I'd rather go with something that's new to me.

Like an implausibly lethal tiny guy.

Selfish, I know. Sorry.

Offline Silverblaze

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2011, 04:34:42 AM »
Goes without saying that it needs the karrin Murphy aspect: "Tiny but Fierce!"

Offline Selrach

• Conversationalist
  • You'll never guess
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 18, 2011, 04:53:28 AM »
Not positive on the name yet but it's bouncing between Sabre Toothed Gnome and Mini-taur.  Not sure about the skills I just slapped them on. Any suggestions about them are fair game.
The charging and area attack ideas are cool but they don't fit my original  (half delirious) image. They could be alternative breeds....

HC:?
T: They're Damn Heavy
Additional Aspects: Tiny but Fierce

Powers:
[-1] REALLY Big Tusks: Tusks are Weapon 4
[-1] REALLY Damn Sharp: Tusks ignore 2 points of armor
[-2] Inhuman Speed
[-1] Built-in, Natural Targeting Brackets: When charging (see above) his attack roll with tusks gains a +1.
[-1] Diminutive Size 

Skills:
+3 Good: Athletics, Fists, Might
+2 Fair: Altertness, Stealth, Survival
+1 Average: Intimidation, Empathy, Investigation

Stress Tracks:
Physical: 00
Mental: 00
Social : 00

Offline Silverblaze

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 18, 2011, 04:57:43 AM »
With only two stess boxes these could be used as super powered mooks or "glass cannons" they can deal a lot of damage but can't take it.

I like them.

Then if needed one can adjust the template suggesting other breeds and add inhuman strength or just bump up skills to make them dangerous at most levels of play.

Offline Becq

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 18, 2011, 05:20:55 AM »
The following is a rebuild of the "Redirected Force" stunt from the RAW:

Force of a Locomotive, Size of a Breadbox: When you charge an opponent, you hit HARD.  On a successful charge (ie, a successful tusk attack roll after having moved at least one zone), you may sacrifice your next action (giving this an effective limit of one per exchange) to treat the attack as a successful maneuver on your part (requiring no additional rolling), placing a maneuver aspect like Knocked Senseless or Ass Over Teakettle on your victim.

In other words, both the Sabre-Toothed Gnome (or Minitaur) and his victim will be watching the little birdies fly circles around their head the next exchange...

Offline Sanctaphrax

• White Council
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 18, 2011, 06:40:47 AM »
Looks good. I like the way that he deals heavy damage despite the effects of his Size.

Oh, and Becq? That is an awesome idea. My horizons have been expanded.

Offline Selrach

• Conversationalist
  • You'll never guess
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 18, 2011, 06:50:27 AM »
I kinda confused by the wording of the stunt...Is it supposed to do damage and apply and aspect? The wording keeps making me think it only does one or the other for some reason.

Offline Sanctaphrax

• White Council
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 18, 2011, 06:54:19 AM »
Pretty sure it does both. It's super pointless otherwise.

Offline Becq

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 18, 2011, 09:03:15 PM »
You do both damage and maneuver.  Note that from a balance perspective, you are spending two actions (the current action and your next action) to do both damage and a maneuver, so you aren't getting a 'double action'; the stunt just lets you do the maneuver now instead of waiting, and lets you hijack the roll you already made.  This is very similar to the Redirected Force stunt from Your Story, which lets you sacrifice your next action to use your current defense roll for both the defense it was intended and also a 'free' maneuver (which isn't really free since you're spending your next action to get the benefit).

Here's a rewording to clarify:

Force of a Locomotive, Size of a Breadbox: When you charge an opponent, you hit HARD.  After a successful charge attack (ie, a successful tusk attack roll after having moved at least one zone) you inflict stress on your target as normal, and also may choose to sacrifice your next action (in the following exchange) to count the attack roll as a successful maneuver on your part (requiring no additional rolling), placing a maneuver aspect like Knocked Senseless or Ass Over Teakettle on your victim.

A question occured to me.  For stunts like Redirected Force (and this new one) that require you to 'sacrifice your next action', do you think this implies sacrificing the entirety of your activity during the next exchange, or only your 'main action'.  Obviously you can't to a main action like attack or maneuver, but can you still do a supplemental action like moving, do you think?  On the one hand, supplemental actions are fairly innocuous, but on the other hand you 'pay' for the supplemental action by losing a die on your main action roll...

Offline Selrach

• Conversationalist
  • You'll never guess
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 18, 2011, 09:21:43 PM »
By the flavor and the wording of the stunt I would  you say no you don't get a supplemental. You can't take an action so you can not supplement it.  I do like your stunt and I am adding it. They have reached -8 refresh here..should  I bump their skills up a level?

HC: Saber Toothed Gnome
T: They're Damn Heavy
Additional Aspects: Tiny but Fierce

Powers:
[-1] REALLY BIG Tusks: Tusks are Weapon 4
[-1] REALLY Damn Sharp: Tusks ignore 2 points of armor
[-2] Inhuman Speed
[-1] Built-in, Natural Targeting Brackets: When charging (see above) his attack roll with tusks gains a +1.
[-1] Diminutive Size 
[-1]Force of a Locomotive, Size of a Breadbox: When you charge an opponent, you hit HARD.  After a successful charge attack (ie, a successful tusk attack roll after having moved at least one zone) you inflict stress on your target as normal, and also may choose to sacrifice your next action (in the following exchange) to count the attack roll as a successful maneuver on your part (requiring no additional rolling), placing a maneuver aspect like Knocked Senseless or Ass Over Teakettle on your victim.

Skills:
+3 Good: Athletics, Fists, Might
+2 Fair: Altertness, Stealth, Survival
+1 Average: Intimidation, Empathy, Investigation

Stress Tracks:
Physical: 00
Mental: 00
Social : 00