Author Topic: Say My Name, Say My Name: Name Magic, What is it?  (Read 1498 times)

Offline computerking

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
    • Into the Dark
Say My Name, Say My Name: Name Magic, What is it?
« on: November 13, 2011, 04:10:24 AM »
Reading through some parts of OW, I read Ferrovax's entry again, where it mentions he is "a master of name Magic," And I wondered if anyone had created a Name Magic Sponsored Magic writeup. What kind of Agenda would it have? Would it allow the use of a partial True Name as a symbolic link in Thaumaturgy, or perhaps Thaum at the speed of Evocation when using part of a True Name?

I find this mysterious magic type very interesting...
I'm the ComputerKing, I can Do Anything...
Into the Dark, A Podcast dedicated to Villainy
www.savethevillain.com

PS: %^#@ Orbius. This may or may not be relevant to the discussion, but whatever.

Offline Selrach

• Conversationalist
  • You'll never guess
    • View Profile
Re: Say My Name, Say My Name: Name Magic, What is it?
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2011, 04:15:08 AM »
I think it would be easy to just use "Master of Name Magic" as an aspect you can invoke to know true names and gain bonuses on magic where you know the target's true name.
Apparently I would much rather post than sleep.

Offline UmbraLux

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2011, 04:26:41 AM »
That works.  It could also be a thematic specialty of thaumaturgy.  The latter would potentially give additional bonuses through specializations and foci.
--
“As our circle of knowledge expands, so does the circumference of darkness surrounding it.”  - Albert Einstein

"Rudeness is a weak imitation of strength."  - Eric Hoffer

Offline Richard_Chilton

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2011, 01:48:24 AM »
A master of name magic wouldn't only use names to target - they could use names to change the target.  If the name and the thing are the same then if you have the power to change the name you have the power to change the thing.

Most systems that allow "True Naming" place various restrictions on it.  The best fiction out there on True Name is (in my opinion) The Earth Sea books - but that might change to the Dresden files if things go the way they might.

Richard

Offline PolaroidNinja

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2011, 11:47:17 PM »
It might be cool to consider every character as having a "True Name Aspect" slot that always contains their name.

This would let your character's do assessment actions (HARD HARD assessment actions in most cases) to uncover that aspect. Most of the time it will probably require thaumaturgy. Then the character that discovers that aspect has it available for an appropriate amount of time (forever for more powerful beings, or a few days for a vanilla mortal - the time could also help set the complexity for thaumaturgy) and they can use it the same as they could with ANY of that character's other aspects. I emphasis "any" because it would also be able to stand in for something like Harry's "MOTHER'S AMULET" which can be used as a targeting device, or it can be invoked for a bonus like any less concrete aspect. In other words it becomes a kind of "wildcard" style aspect - it can stand in for almost anything your character would need to invoke/compel on.

Just some quick thoughts but I think it could work with a bit more thought.

Offline Anher

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2011, 12:08:45 AM »
From everything we've seen actually getting someone's True Name seems to take more work that just researching it. Yes, Ferrovax casually uses a few syllables of Harry's True Name, but he's a true dragon, so that's well and good. Chauncy on the other hand is an information brokering Demon and he has to have Harry give him the syllables. That implies that it's not just something people can do with a little leg work. Not to mention it's also said that a person's True Name changes with their experiences, so even if you did manage to somehow get a full version of the name it wouldn't be good forever.

Just my .02